• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Counterfeit Cubans from supposedly reputable places

I have bought CCs in Rome at Fincato- la Casa Del Habano. They are the finest cigar shop in Italy and smoked the worst Partagas ever. I don't know if it was what I ate, drank, but it was real. On the other hand I found a shop outside of Niagara Falls and bought excellent cigars that were real. It is all subjective and taste. In the Dominican Republic they were selling fakes that were made with banana leaves. Be careful of the Authorized and reputable dealers. They are all there for the same reason. TO MAKE MONEY. AS MUCH AS THEY CAN. Find a true tobacconist. You can tell within a few minutes. Buyer beware of tourist traps. :0

they look real to me.

Thank you for the insightful post :thumbs:

Thank you for yours, too. :rolleyes: I don't really know that much or care that much about cubans, but nothing jumped out at me as obviously wrong with the cigars. What am I missing?

I am far from an expert but if I get this wrong somone will jump in and correct me. If there are only three rows of dots at the top of a Cohiba cigar band, run do not walk to the nearest exit.

they look real to me.

Thank you for yours, too. :rolleyes: I don't really know that much or care that much about cubans, but nothing jumped out at me as obviously wrong with the cigars. What am I missing?

Well, to me anyway, this most glaring thing is the Cohiba EL 2007. No so such cigar was ever made, at least legitimately. Last time I was in Cozumel I saw several places trying to sell these particular cigars. In the past I've learned the hard way that it's just better not to buy cigars in Cozumel. I've found that even 'authorized' shops will still slip in fakes with their legitimate stock, especially when it comes to EL's.

they look real to me.

Wow...another insightful post :rolleyes:

Thanks for nothing, Mike.

Guess there were obvious things that the other guys pointed out. I can't see the pictures right now, so I'll check them again in my room tonight.

Well, to me anyway, this most glaring thing is the Cohiba EL 2007. No so such cigar was ever made, at least legitimately. Last time I was in Cozumel I saw several places trying to sell these particular cigars. In the past I've learned the hard way that it's just better not to buy cigars in Cozumel. I've found that even 'authorized' shops will still slip in fakes with their legitimate stock, especially when it comes to EL's.

Yup...the Limited editions were bogus. Unfortunately I Didn't learn about the LEs until I got to CP a week and a half after I returned from my honeymoon. Still new at the "deep rooted interest thing" with CCs so as for everyone, I still have a lot to learn....IF this is the hard way for me...I got off real easy with a few purchases compared to some.

So far the LE and the 2 Cohiba's on the left are fakes. I'm 100% sure of that. The bands are off. The Bolivar I'm pretty sure is real and the Cohiba Siglio VI was smoked a few days ago, and if it's not real then DAMN that was a damn fine fake (it was not purchased at Cozumel).

the Cigarello band looks ok except the end looks like it was cut with a pair of scissors by someone with the shakes. It has 2 rows of dots but that seems to be a characteristic of the cigarellos I've seen. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Damien,

Did you say you bought these all at the same forums shop? If you did, then if one is fake, they are probably all fake. I have never seen a place in Cozumel that sold coobans mixed in with real product. I did see a place in St Marteen once that had both, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

JK

they look real to me.

Wow...another insightful post :rolleyes:

Thanks for nothing, Mike.

Guess there were obvious things that the other guys pointed out. I can't see the pictures right now, so I'll check them again in my room tonight.

This is actually my first post here, please edit to reflect....

btw the bunching on those looks really great, I mean like totally awesome!

Damien,

Did you say you bought these all at the same forums shop? If you did, then if one is fake, they are probably all fake. I have never seen a place in Cozumel that sold coobans mixed in with real product. I did see a place in St Marteen once that had both, but it is the exception rather than the rule.

JK

Yeah all except the one I smoked the other day which was bought elsewhere. :) I've since cut my losses. I think I'm going to smoke the Bolivar and Maduro 5 and cut my losses on the rest and just keep them in separate bags.

I also am interested about the "bunching". I do hear that term referenced when trying to distinguish fakes.

Until someone with more knowledge comes around, Bunch-- Up to four different types of filler tobacco that are blended to create the body of the cigar. The bunch is held together by the binder.

Until someone with more knowledge comes around, Bunch-- Up to four different types of filler tobacco that are blended to create the body of the cigar. The bunch is held together by the binder.

Right, but I've heard mention as to the rolling method etc that give a particular pattern to the foot.

ie. Taking Tobacco leaves and stacking them and rolling them akin to a piece of paper would give more of a spiral pattern etc.

From our very own Ginseng -- read up on bunching on this site. Basically, CCs and NCs have two different bunching styles, accordion and circular. Also, very large stems in the bunch - the inside of the cigar - usually is a sign, along with abnormally loose bunching. You can also take another peak here.

I think that's right, anyone can correct me if I am wrong!

Back