• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Counterfeit Cubans from supposedly reputable places

I can't tell much from the pictures, too much light being reflected. Next time don't use the flash or excess light.

I'm certainly no expert, but some things can be pointed out.

1)Those two Cohibas in the middle are definitely fake judging on the band alone.
2)The Maduro 5 makes sets off some red flags, as the ones I've seen do have that solid black strip on the top.
3)The white squares should be of the same size as the black squares when referring to the modern bands, which those cigars try to represent.
4)The color of the bands on the Cohibas seem off, I don't remember the yellow part being a lemon yellow, but more of an orange golden hue yellow.
5)The Bolivar is probably the only genuine article, it features the distinct triple cap and the band looks decent enough to pass.
6)Depending on the year of that Montecristo #2, it might be a counterfeit, the current ones have a relief design in the bands, but that stem sticking out at the foot is definitely not a good detail no matter what year.

This is just conjecture, but what do I know? Also Mexico has a nice tax bracket on tobacco, so these, if genuine, were probably being sold in the store somewhere around the value of $12 for the Boli PC, around $25-$30 for the Cohibas. For that price, I'd rather bring my own.

Smoke them anyway, if they're good, they're good, if they're not, then a lesson well experienced.

I can't tell much from the pictures, too much light being reflected. Next time don't use the flash or excess light.

I'm certainly no expert, but some things can be pointed out.

1)Those two Cohibas in the middle are definitely fake judging on the band alone.
2)The Maduro 5 makes sets off some red flags, as the ones I've seen do have that solid black strip on the top.
3)The white squares should be of the same size as the black squares when referring to the modern bands, which those cigars try to represent.
4)The color of the bands on the Cohibas seem off, I don't remember the yellow part being a lemon yellow, but more of an orange golden hue yellow.
5)The Bolivar is probably the only genuine article, it features the distinct triple cap and the band looks decent enough to pass.
6)Depending on the year of that Montecristo #2, it might be a counterfeit, the current ones have a relief design in the bands, but that stem sticking out at the foot is definitely not a good detail no matter what year.

This is just conjecture, but what do I know? Also Mexico has a nice tax bracket on tobacco, so these, if genuine, were probably being sold in the store somewhere around the value of $12 for the Boli PC, around $25-$30 for the Cohibas. For that price, I'd rather bring my own.

Smoke them anyway, if they're good, they're good, if they're not, then a lesson well experienced.

That Cohiba Siglio VI on the right was genuine as well...WAS being the key word ;).

"Bunching" in this case refers to the appearance of the cut tobacco at the foot of the cigar. More generally, "bunching" refers to the process of forming a loose bundle of filler leaves so that it can be wrapped in binder leaf/leaves prior to pressing in molds.

I'm not exactly sure what folks are cueing on from the OP's photo. I've cut out the feet and massaged the image a little to try and enhance the details. Let's see if they'll chime in so we can discuss it.
WeirdFeet01.jpg

Here's a shot of the foot of a bona fide counterfeit.
XprinterPartyShorts03.jpg

In my various review threads, there are plentiful shots of feet. Might want to check that out. I will toss out a clue though...look at the color of the leaves.

Wilkey

I'm not exactly sure what folks are cueing on from the OP's photo. I've cut out the feet and massaged the image a little to try and enhance the details. Let's see if they'll chime in so we can discuss it.

Hiya Mr. W!

Coloration looks wrong to me, as well as the pattern of the bunching, and its density as well. I don't know as I can be more specific than that.

Cigar #1 (1-3 top row, 4-7 bottom row, L-R) looks to be almost half green. #2 looks to have more than a fair share of stems in it. #4 looks to be rolled in a circular pattern, not bunched "accordion-like". I'm by no means an expert, but just from reading your and Moki's tips on vitolas, that's what stands out to me in looking at those pictures.

The wrapper on the Boli, the CM5 and the "known" good Cohiba look proper. The boli and the CM5 also show a bunch of ligero towards the center of the cigar, which the others do not.

But will you massage feet?

???

So for coloring, I've seen non-cuban cigars that have that sort of coloring. It always reminds me of a chocolate-swirl ice cream when I see that. Dark ligero (I assume), blending in with other leaves. To much green would have me a little worried, though. So is the consensus that coloring like that is bad or at least abnormal? Is that not seen on cubans at all, normally?

With the bunching, it's clear with the obvious fake that Wilkey posted. You can see around the edges where they just took at stack of leaves and rolled it up. You can see 5-6 layers of leaves there all stacked up on one another. I don't see that with the other cigars, though. Am I just missing it? The pictures aren't in the best focus, so maybe I am.

I have absolutely no expertise in real versus fake or cubans in general... just trying to learn. :)

-John