• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP Chefs Pass

FrozenMashed.jpg

Continued on the next post......

???

I was so excited to see what happens with the mashed!!!

:(

...continued

I had some roasted garlic in the fridge and added that to the hot potatoes, some salt & pepper, 4tsp of butter, and a large tablespoon of sour cream and mashed that all together. When I was done, I sprinkled a little chopped fresh parsley on top. Take the asparagus out of the oven and recover (with the foil you used to cook it with) to keep warm.

MashedAsparagus.jpg

Now, remember the seasoning/flour mixture we had left over, put that in a small pan with half a stick of butter and put it on very low heat just to melt the butter. Make sure the whole thing is mixed evenly through to make a paste like mixture

GravyPrep.jpg

Take the prime rib out of the oven, place it on a platter and cover with foil.

CookedprimeRib.jpg

Take the juices from the bottom of the roasting pan and slowly add it to the pan with the seasoning/butter mixture and stir while turning up the heat to bring it to a slight boil....add more water to it to get it to a nice thick consistency. This is a nice spicy, peppery brown gravy.

CookingGravy.jpg

Everything is now ready and it's time to plate the meal, carve up the prime rib, add a little of each side dish and your ready to go.

Plated.jpg

This is a quick and delicious meal without a ton of work...no intense prep on the roast, no potato peeling, no involve veggies or gravy...nice and easy.

Enjoy...my son Anthony did!

Nice!

Did you add water to the mashed?

We add chicken broth and seasonings...what a difference!

Nice!

It was pretty moist coming out of the bag and added more with the butter and sour cream. I wasn't going for the ultra creamy version with the roast, I wanted a little drier, smashed potatoes that we could add the brown gravy to.

I'll try the chicken broth next time, that sounds good...I've never done that before.

Thanks for the tip :thumbs:

Nice!

It was pretty moist coming out of the bag and added more with the butter and sour cream. I wasn't going for the ultra creamy version with the roast, I wanted a little drier, smashed potatoes that we could add the brown gravy to.

I'll try the chicken broth next time, that sounds good...I've never done that before.

Thanks for the tip :thumbs:

ahhh..I miss read the bag...it was pre-made.

Anyhow, when even it calls for water(for mashed or even stuffings) use chicken broth! Mmm, Mmm, Good!! :D

If you're at all handy in the kitchen, you can make demi-glace - roast, then boil chicken bones from a roast chicken, a few carrots, onion, celery. Once the broth is a light brown, pull the chicken and vegetables out and reduce it.

From a big 5L pasta pot of broth, you end up with a cup or so of "meat jell-o", as my wife calls it, which you can reconstitute into stock or just add to any meat-based dish straight up to fortify it. It keeps far better than stock, essentially indefinitely when refrigerated.

I use it for stews, risotto, and such; it makes it taste much richer without having to add extra fat.

If you're at all handy in the kitchen, you can make demi-glace - roast, then boil chicken bones from a roast chicken, a few carrots, onion, celery. Once the broth is a light brown, pull the chicken and vegetables out and reduce it.

From a big 5L pasta pot of broth, you end up with a cup or so of "meat jell-o", as my wife calls it, which you can reconstitute into stock or just add to any meat-based dish straight up to fortify it. It keeps far better than stock, essentially indefinitely when refrigerated.

I use it for stews, risotto, and such; it makes it taste much richer without having to add extra fat.
I do that at least twice a month...once I'll use a whole fryer (for stock only) and another time I'll use some seared chicken breasts that I then use for chicken salad, shred for chicken tacos & tortillas, or dice for chicken soup.

I sear some chicken breasts dusted with salt & pepper 4 minutes on each side on medium heat...

SearChicken.jpg

I take the chicken breast out, saute the veggies (like you mentioned Marco) for a few minutes....

VeggiesandStock.jpg

...add the chicken back in and add 4 cups of stock from the fryer I did previously plus a few cups of water. I cook that all together for 1 1/2 hours.

CookingChicken.jpg

I take the chicken out and let it cool on a platter...

CookedChicken.jpg

I re-strain the stock and put it in the fridge to make chicken soup later. The chicken breasts I'll usually shred...

ShreddedChicken.jpg

With this batch I made some chicken salad for the week...I put in onion, celery, shredded carrots, and some diced purple grapes with the mayo, onion & garlic powder, salt & pepper and a light squeeze of lemon.

Chickensalad.jpg

In this case I killed two birds with one stone...I created more chicken stock and made some shredded chicken for sandwiches.

Sometimes I'll reduce it like you do, but most times I don't so I can freeze small containers to use for different dishes I cook during the week. I've tried to freeze the "chicken jello" without much success. :laugh:

After refrigerating it so it gels, you can cube it and freeze it - it ends up looking like frosty OXO cubes. Very old school, but it works.

I received the Pass from Marco today. It was a little difficult getting all the packaging tape off the turtle's shell that held the box in place.....but my mailman had a sharp knife and between the two of us, we made quick work of it.

I'll do my best to get this thing back on the road as I leave tomorrow morning for Boston.

This is a recipe we've all grown fond of here. I usually quad-druple it when I make it, and they still all disappear.

Spicy Asian Ribs

Ingredients:
1 8-oz. jar of Hoison Sauce
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup of chicken broth
1/4 cup of chili-garlic sauce (I use chili sauce)
1/4 cup of rice vinegar
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
2 Tablespoons of toasted sesame oil
2 Tablespoons of garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons of fresh ginger, minced
2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil, divided (I use olive oil)
8 Bone-in country style pork ribs, about 3 1/2 lbs. (I use boneless)

Directions: Combine all ingredients except oil in a bowl for the sauce. Heat oil in a large saute' pan over medium-high; season ribs with salt and pepper. Saute' 4 ribs until bowned on all sides, about 5 minutes; remove from pan. Repeat process with remaining oil and ribs.
Return ribs to pan; add 1/2 the sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes. Flip ribs and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered, turning occaisionally to coat with sauce. Reduce heat to low, simmer an additional 15 minutes, turning often. Serve with remaining sauce.

When I make this I have found I can save money buying a 'rib end roast' and butchering it myself. I also do not split the sauce, and cook all the ribs and sauce together. I have also discovered that the longer I simmer them, the better the taste becomes.

Enjoy!

Michael

Good evening all

Below are my proposed takes and puts. I'll be meeting up with Ironpeddler/Gary tomorrow, so if these are acceptable, we can load them in and the box will be back on its way.

Take - #54 Por Larranaga PC '07............Put - #76 San Cristobal La Punta '03
Take - #16 WOAM.................................Put - #77 Opus X "Power Ranger"
Take - #51 UTS.....................................Put - #78 Davidoff Millenium Lonsdale

Michael

Good evening all

Below are my proposed takes and puts. I'll be meeting up with Ironpeddler/Gary tomorrow, so if these are acceptable, we can load them in and the box will be back on its way.

Take - #54 Por Larranaga PC '07............Put - #76 San Cristobal La Punta '03
Take - #16 WOAM.................................Put - #77 Opus X "Power Ranger"
Take - #51 UTS.....................................Put - #78 Davidoff Millenium Lonsdale

Michael

These work for me! Be sure to get some recipes on here too!

Thanks for playing.

OK, I got all the cigars pulled and I'm repacked for my meeting with Michael tomorrow morning....but I did have some help...

BoyvGirl.jpg

Girl.jpg

Thanks for having me Andy...

I have my next recipe ready to cook on my return from New England.... :whistling: ....another use for the Bacon Explosion weave ;)

This is another recipe that's very popular in my house...

'Legal Seafood' Crab Cakes

Ingredients:
One 4-oz. package of Ritz crackers
2 Tablespoons of butter
1/3 of a cup chopped scallions, white and green parts
1/2 a cup of diced celery
1/3 of a cup of diced red bell pepper
2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic
1 to 2 Tablespoons dry white wine
1/8 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 to 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
8 oz. backfin crabmeat
1 large egg
Salt & pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
Place the crackers in a plastic bag and crumble with your hands or with a rolling pin. Put them in a large mixing bowl, and set aside. In a large skillet, melt the 2 tablespoons of butterover medium heat and cook the scallions, celery, and garlic for 5 minutes, or until cooked through but still slightly translucent. Toss with the crackers.
Stir in the wine, Old Bay seasoning, lemon juice, parsley, and crabmeat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the egg.

When I make these I either form them in hamburger size and get around 8 crabcakes, or I also make them appetizer size and get 16-20. I brown them in the oven to my liking.

Michael

Sorry, in order to get 8 hamburger size or 16-20 appetizer size I double the recipe since most canned crabmeat is in 1 lb. cans

Michael

The Pass is on it's way. I met with Michael this afternoon to do his P&Ts and then dropped it off at the Edison Post Office....smooth as silk.

Michael, it was a pleasure meeting you and look forward to getting together soon.

IMG_0168.jpg

Tom, I'm PMing you the DC# now....

OK, I got all the cigars pulled and I'm repacked for my meeting with Michael tomorrow morning....but I did have some help...

BoyvGirl.jpg

Girl.jpg

Thanks for having me Andy...

I have my next recipe ready to cook on my return from New England.... :whistling: ....another use for the Bacon Explosion weave ;)
Glad the pass got to me first. :D

Holy $hit it got here fast! Mailman dropped it off this morning. Thought I had at least one more day, and was going to finalize my p/t tonight.

I'll get it all done today, and get this thing back on the road Monday if everything goes well.

LOL

The post office here in the industrial park is a regional post office. They didn't even receive it from Gary until after 1 PM yesterday.

That's good service!

Michael

Holy $hit it got here fast! Mailman dropped it off this morning. Thought I had at least one more day, and was going to finalize my p/t tonight.

I'll get it all done today, and get this thing back on the road Monday if everything goes well.

Tom...we don't mess around here in Jersey...capeesh?

;)

LOL

The post office here in the industrial park is a regional post office. They didn't even receive it from Gary until after 1 PM yesterday.

That's good service!

Michael

Michael...I didn't use the Post office. After I got there I had second thoughts, so I called a few friends of mine that have a courier service...

They're called Goomba Express, they're very quick & reliable. Their motto says it all...

"When it absa-fuckin-lutely has to be there the next friggin' day"

Tom, the delivery guy didn't charge you a vig, did he?

OK...did the inventory, and everything is correct as per the list in the box. I'll have to wait until Andy updates the first post from the last 2 guys to double check vs that. Everything is in good shape with the exception of #58 the VSG Enchantment. There's a little damage to the cap. Probably won't effect the smoke for now, but we'll have to keep an eye on it.

As for my proposed P/T:

T: 30 Tatuaje Black P: 79 Tatuaje Frankenstein
T: 40 RyJ Short Churchill P: 80 Johnny-O! Figurado 10/07
T: 57 LFD 'Cameroom' Lancero P: DPG Blue Lancero Puff n Stuff Edition '08

Let me know what you think. I'll PM thinde to confirm his address, and hopefull yhave this thing back on the road Monday morning.