• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CPCRC Installemt #1 Reviews

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
Here it is guys..the review section of CPCRC Installment #1. Please post your reviews by July 11, 2002. Shortly thereafter an independent "juror" will select the finest review and the winner will receive the "extra" VR Famoso and a few other cigars from my humidor. There will only be a first prize for this review "contest." Your review can be as simple as a couple words, or very elaborate..be creative. I just hope you enjoy the smokes. :)

oops...spelled the title of the thread wrong..can someone fix that? ???

Above and beyond, bro! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Nice review Leebo......short and to the point! ROFLMAO!  :p  :sign:

I was talking about Matt, not the smokes!! rotflmao

:D

That's to bad Leebo...that was the greatest review I've ever read. It would have made me want to buy a box of them smokes...LOL :p :D :p

I will smoke on the 4th and post thereafter! Got my takes today Matt......Again thanks for an incredible effort! :thumbs: :thumbs:

This is an awesome exercise. Thanks for the opportunity to learn and grow! :love:

You guys aint getting off that easy! I have a nack for writing, so, look out! Taking no prisoners! :sneaky:

Writing was never one of my strong points but i'm anything but bashful so I'll start it off....

July 4th - Don't expect much as I've spent most of this wonderful day celebrating our country BBQing pork ribs and drinking one or ten beers. As the day wore on I settled into some rum and decided to give one of the two cigars a go. Vegas Robaina Famoso.....48 X 5 5/8..... beautiful looking..... golden brown wrapper....smooth.....good construction...firm. The look of this smoke was perfect. Took a big sniff of this stick and smelt BBQ ribs :0 I should have washed my hands. Snipping the head with my SAK produced a very clean cut. Looking at the filler it appeared tight but when I took a prelight draw, I received air...lots and lots of air. I freshened my drink.... turned on some Doobie Brothers, kicked the cat out of my recliner, got comfortable and toasted the foot. It lit easily.... blew out one short puff and admired the perfect round glow on the foot. Usually a slight relight is required to obtain that full complete glow but not this time. I held it out in front of myself admiring it as up to now it has been a perfect cigar. I took my first draw and just like my prelight.....it produced lots of air. Along with the air came volumes of smoke.... almost too much smoke. I had to search for the correct force of draw to give this cigar. I was so wrapped up in how I wished the draw was a bit tighter I almost didn't realize that I was getting a very pleasent rich tobacco taste. Nothing overwhelming...not to strong.... more on the light side, but  nice rich tobacco. Ash was grey/black that held together in the center but not around the outsides. I was about 1/4 into this cigar and realized I was smoking it a bit too fast. The smoke, lots of it, was getting hot and the rich tobacco taste had subsided. Noticing my drink was about empty I decided to freshing it up and allow the smoke to cool, but, upon returning to my mission, the Doobies were wailing out some "China Grove" and I had to grab my air guitar and join them. My groupie, the wife  :love: , was trying to crash the stage but my security, the dogs  :D , kept her at bay and I was able to finish the song. Upon returning to back stage, I found my cigar had gone out and I had to relight. The relight didn't fair as well as the first light and I had to do a few touch ups. The smoke was still plentiful.... the smooth rich tobacco taste had returned but again, nothing overwhelming, just good tobacco taste. As I approached the halfway mark two thing started happening. First the wrapper started to come undone. :( and second, the smoke was turning peppery and starting to gain some strenth. I was enjoying the new taste.... pepper, lots of smoke, and becoming more of a med to med/full body smoke. I had to fight the wrapper as it continued to try and unwrap. About 2/3 of the way the pepper, strenth, and a slight bit of creaminess blended together. I was really beginning to enjoy the taste this cigar had moved to but the wrapper would not cooperate. The burn, understandably, was turning worse as I tried to hold the wrapper together. I was able to make it to 1/4 of the stick before I had to give up. ??? It had pretty much come unwrapped.

I will hold off my final comments until I smoke the second one. I will smoke the second one tomorrow. PHEWWWWW! I need another drink!  :)

July 5th - The look of this cigar was much like yesterdays.... beautiful looking golden brown wrapper. Construction looked solid. This cigar smoked much better then the first. The draw was perfect..... or maybe I should say "like I like it". Easy and solid. It burned perfect thru-out. Ash was solid... held on until I decided to dump it. As yesterdays smoke, it was very uneventful thru the first half of the cigar. Solid smoke....good tobacco taste. Both of these cigars struck me as an early morning cigar with coffee up to the half way point.  This is where the cigar changed for me. Like the one I smoked yesterday, I started to get a pepper sting on the lips. It developed into a Med/full strenth cigar. I was really starting to enjoy it. I didn't detect the creamyness I mentioned in the first cigar. I contribute that to the fact that I am drinking water with this smoke as yesterday it was rum.  I smoked it down to just under an inch. Never had to re-light it and this one held together.

My take on this cigar is that it is a solid cigar. A bit on the mild side until the second half. Very good tobacco taste. I enjoyed everything about this cigar with the exception of the wrapper coming unglued on me with the first one. I contribute the airy draw, loose ash, and early snuffing of the first cigar to that fact. The second cigar smoked perfect. This would make a great lunch time cigar. Just mild enough in the beginning and building in strenth and pepper in the end.
Thumbs Up!  :thumbs:

Ok I smoked one of the VR Famoso cigars the night after I returned from the So Cal herf.
It's appearance is great. Dark wrapper, solid contruction, no soft spots! I clipped just the outer cap and took a puff to see if the draw would work. Perfect... I got a nice coco, with a slight hint of andes thin mint on the prelite draws. I put fire to the foot with a torch that was given away at So Cal. First puff was very light, and the cigar stayed that way for about 1/4 of the way through it. Not much flavor at this point. Plenty of smoke though. About a quarter of the way through the flavors started peeking through, Coco with light whisps of toasted bread started filling my pallet. I was sipping a Mojito with this cigar, which was rather appropriate do to the mild nature of this smoke. At the half way point the flavor pick up slightly with hints of carmel along with the ever present coco flavors. To this point not much spice was coming through. I was wishing I smoked this one prior to the herf I attended that had placed my mouth and tougue in shock with all the Primo cigars I had been smoking ( not complaining though). Ok at the 3/4 mark slight hints of pepper poked through, never ever really hard and heavy though. The light coco choclate flavors stayed through out with a light earthy, swithching to slashes of a doughie flavor, which was rather pleasant, kept catching my attention along with a little more hint of pepper at the very end. The smoke remained mild to medium through out with nice cool creamy smoke. The Famoso had a short finish. Over all, I enjoyed it. I wouldn't mind having a few laying around for Sunday Mornings.

I would say I would smoke this cigar in the morning with a nice cup of full flavored coffee or early afternoon with a slightly sweet glass of sun tea. It would also go good with a dessert, or after a light lunch. I have smoked the VR Familares before ( which I find more on the higher medium bodied end) and find these are simular but very much lighter .
This was a really fun as I never really analize a cigar to this extreme. I put my all in this for the effort put out by my bro Matt, who was very gracious to devote his time to get this review club rolling. Thanks again!

Looking forward to the rest of the reviews!

Gonna try to get mine in just under the wire tonite.

Procrastination....don't leave home without it!

Review entry dates have been moved back. Let's see if we can get them in by the 17th instead of the 14th. :) I have been very busy as I am sure some of you have been too.

Thank You Matt!!!!

I'm still going to try to get this done tonight, if I can.

LOL.... Damn Matt!!! I used a severly scorched pallet to get mine in... now you change the rules :lookup: !

LOL!!! The only thing certain in life is change I guess!

P.S. How's your pallet after last weekend Matt?

Review of the VR Famoso

This was a first for me as my isom experience has been somewhat limited, but growing daily!! Both were well made with beautiful medium-brown wrappers, finished with a nice looking cap.

The prelight was that of cedar and some hints of cocoa. Both cigars clipped nicely and were just right as I rolled them in my fingers, squeezing lightly and the cigar bounced back into shape.

As I toasted them, the cocoa flavor was evident. The second of the two was nearly vaporized as I was trying out the Trifecta I won in Devin's contest! Note to self: Self, don't play with expensive torches when you know not what you are doing!

Anyhoo, the remaining carcus of a cigar was salvageable and and the draw was almost perfect, just a bit too loose. Both produced heavy volumes of smoke and fell into the medium strength range for me. The creamy smoke covered the palate well, definately tasted of cocoa and a hint of roasted nuts maybe. First third was mild and nutty, second third produced a hint of spice, and became a little more complex, with a hint of berries. Last third was a bit peppery which left a tingle on my tounge. The burn was almost perfect on the first but the second had burn issues from the start and needed a touch-up here and there. The wrapper stayed in tact for both and I nubbed them until I practically burnt my fingers.

An interesting cigar, a bit different from the Cohibas, SLR, and Punch I've had so far. It was a bit on the mild side for my taste but finished a bit stronger.

I would rate this one at an 89. I wouldn't mind having a few around for a morning smoke with coffee or to start off the evening with a drink.

It was a pleasure to review, Matt and I thank you for expanding my tastes in isoms!

Lee :thumbs:

Nice reviews Lee & Kenny! Looks like everyone else is either still admiring the wrapper... or just to busy! Why not smoke and post so we can get on to the next cigar. What good is a review club if we can't get a review? Matt, I know you smoked yours already, or one just like it ;) Everyone else... common, quit savoring the moment...LOL J/K.

I agree....... stop ageing them cigars boys. :p

I sure do want to take the time to thank Matt for putting this thing together. I know how much time it took to do this and well..... THANK YOU for taking the time. I'm not sure how he does it with building a new house, twins boys (at the loving age of "hell on wheels") running full tilt, herf's to attend, work, and I'm sure allotting some time for the Mrs...... ;)

Thanks again Matt, this was fun!

(Was that enough to get you to do it again? :sneaky: )

Great reviews so far guys. I’m not much of a writer but heres my review.

Setting: After finishing a nice grilled chicken breast, corn on the cob, and sliced tomato dinner I sat down and watched the All-Star game with a little glass of Fonseca bin 27 port.

Appearance/Construction: The cigar was slightly box-pressed and looked very well with very few veins. I would say the wrapper would be a medium on a scale of light-dark.

Pre-light: I clipped the end with my rosewood Xikar, which always seems to give me a nice clean cut. The pre-light draw was very easy which was fine by me, because I hate fighting with cigars that don’t draw well.

First 1/3: I toasted the foot with my trusty trifecta. After getting the end glowing I took my first puff. Huge amounts of smoke abound. The first thing I noticed was the fragrance of the smoke was very nice on the nose, which is something I really enjoy about smoking cigars. I didn’t really seem to pickup many flavors at this point other than a leathery tobacco taste of light-medium strength.

Second 1/3: At this point I’m still not picking up many flavors. The ash is very flaky and falls off very easy and the burn was very good.

Last 1/3: The cigar has picked up in strength to a nice medium-bodied. I picked up a distinct flavor that I couldn’t quite put my finger on but it tasted good.

Overall: I would classify this as a medium-bodied light flavor cigar that burned quite nice. I would agree with the other reviewers that this would be an excellent choice for a morning or afternoon cigar. I probably wouldn’t keep many of these on hand as I tend to like a medium-full bodied full flavor cigar.

The only difference between the 2 cigars was the second I drank iced tea instead of port and it seemed to go very well with the cigar.

A big thanks to Matt for putting this together. It’s fun to see what other people think of the same cigar. Looking forward to the rest of the reviews.

This cigar was an enigma to me. If I didn't know both of them were the same cigar I would have been surprised.

I smoked the first one after a nice steak dinner. Sat out on the back deck with a cup of Mayorga Havana Blend coffee. The cigar was had a light chocolate wrapper with some veins and a good pre-light aroma to it with a loose draw. The construction felt a little loose. Lit the cigar and got a ton of smoke right off the bat. A little harsh, almost as if the tobacco was young. I did not get that familiar Cuban taste that I so enjoy. As I continued to smoke the harshness continued. The burn was such that I had to use the torch to correct it four times. Ash was very flaky. About a third of the way through the wrapper started to come loose. Basically the cigar self destructed. :angry: I kept the cigar together until I finished it.

The second cigar was a different story. Same light chocolate wrapper but very smooth. Pre-light aroma was excellent, construction was firm with a good draw. Lit the cigar and immediately got my Cuban flavor. Straight burn with a solid, dark ash. There was no harshness in this robusto! As I got to the end of the cigar I didn't want it to end, I wanted more. This was a mild cuban that goes well with coffee and I would smoke it in the morning. A little mild for my taste for an after-dinner cigar.

In the past I have smoked several of the Robaina Unicos, which I have really enjoyed and I would place the second cigar above those. I don't know what happened to that first cigar, but I hope I don't run into one like that again.

Matt, thanks for including me in this review, bro!