• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CPCRC Installemt #1 Reviews

Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow! errrr so sayeth the procrastonator's like myself.

I learned a while back to snip just a little and give it a pre-light try before whackin the whole end off.

Yep, holds true especially for these little guys. Just a little dab-l-do-ya. I've never seen a consistancey problem with the few VR's that I've had the pleasure of smoking. All were of good pre-light quality, same coloring, same nose, same consistant burn.

Both cigars held an ash for 1 1/2" but afterwards proved to be flaky and quite messy. I did find however that the cigar wants to be smoked.... ie...if you stop to read too long, or chat a few sentences... it's flame OUT.

Taste-7 Prelight-7.5 Smokability-7 7.17 avg

The Vegas Robaina Famouso "Ambassador" Robusto size

I was anxious and nervous as I went to spend an evening with the Ambassador. I had heard so very much about her, but still did not know what to expect. I was somewhat stunned when I first saw her. She was not a beauty queen. Her skin lacked that fine porcelain quality associated with visual stunners.

But she had character, and was beautiful in a modest and understated way. Her skin was supple, and of a creamy light brown color with a few of her veins visible, though not unattractively so. She sported a jaunty triple cap, which looked most endearing on her, and a self effacing red sash which said only “ambassador”, as if hiding the noble lineage which I know to be hers.

As I drew close to her I found her fragrance spicy and compelling. Electricity leapt between us and her intoxicating scent drew me to her. I could read within her depths of unspoken passions and moods. She was a sleeping volcano waiting to erupt.

Our Evening together rushed by swiftly. She was so easy and open I feel I could draw anything from her, though her even control of herself kept her in the driver’s seat, able to steer us from one pleasant moment to another. I could tell she had not slept enough after travels, for at several points during the evening I saw her temper flare over some trifling point. This was somewhat distracting and even alarming, but a small price to pay for her company.

We danced, and I could smell her peppery scent, Which I must have imagined, for it was swiftly supplanted by the pleasant scent… (nearly taste) of walnuts. Basking in her warmth I could in my mind’s eye imagine her growing up on her sunny island, and was in turn transported to my own youth, remembering the flavor of nibbling on straw in the barn, the scent of leather from the saddles a strongly pleasant memory.

Our Time together was wonderful. She was never harsh, and aside from her temper sometimes flaring up she was highly memorable. Her earthy nutty character was a pleasure, and her spicy sultriness, brought fantasies of leather, pepper and haylofts to my mind. I could easily admire her forever, though our temperaments differ such that I could never marry her.

Appearance: 10/15,
Smoking Characteristics: 20/25
Flavor: 25/25
Overall Impression: 30/35 Total: 85/100

Thanks Matt for letting me play! It is a pleasure!

OK a little late but sorry. :)

The cigar(s) was good, but not great. :)

I know I am late, but as some of you may know, I have a pretty full slate right now. I did however find time to smoke Both the cigars.

The first one I smoked at work on my lunch break. It lit easily and produced a great amount of smoke. The burn was clean and true, the ash held for almost 1/2 the length before I let it drop on the table. The nose was good, but nothing special. I found the cigar to be full of flavor, but unfortunately, there was only ONE flavor. It was Tobacco, that is all I can say. There was nothing in it to suggest that it was a great cigar, just a cigar.

The second one I smoked while driving down the road. It also lit easily and produced a great amount of smoke. It burned clean with only minor touch-ups (wind related I am sure). The nose was good, but nothing special. The flavor of this one did better the first by some. I tasted some pepper in this one with a hint of wood. There was a pecan taste that started about 1/2 way in and stayed throughout. Again it really was not all that great, but it was a better cigar than the first one (maybe it was me).

Maybe my expectation was a bit high but I did not find these cigars to be anything to write home about. I still wouldn't chunk it out the window tho.

Someone else may be able to tell me, but I would bet that this being from 1999 is the reason it did not give me a great load of flavor.

Now that's a winning review if I ever saw one! :D

First I'd like to applaud Matt for organizing this event. He really stepped up to the plate and made this happen. Great job Matt! clap clap clap :thumbs: :thumbs:
I'd also like to say how honored I am to be part of this....it was great fun and I hope this is the beginning of a long tradition here at CP. May there be many more of these tastings!

Well, all brown-nosing aside, here's what I thought about the Famosos.

Cigar 1
Setting
I was at home relaxing, sipping some single malt and listening to music and I decided it was time.

Appearance
Beautiful milk chocolate color. Great-looking blunt cap, construction was perfect by all appearances. The lower half had a couple of veins like stitches running down the side. The wrapper itself was soft, like velvet.

Pre-light
Draw was Goldilocks; not too easy, not too firm. Sweet tobacco flavors mixed with a suggestion of mint.

Taste
It was very smooth right from the start. The smoke was thick and sweet, but I noticed something missing....flavor. It did have subtle flavors of cocoa and vanilla, but there just wasn't a lot of it. I guess I was expecting a powerhouse, but what this was a smooth, light-bodied afternoon smoke. Don't get me wrong. It tasted good....real good. It's just that there wasn't as much flavor as I was hoping for. About a third of the way in it picked up a slight harshness that I could feel in my throat, but this smoothed out again about halfway through. At that point also the flavors seemed to come more alive. The cocoa became more pronounced and through it all there was tons of thick smoke. From this point until the band it was a very enjoyable light- to medium-bodied cigar.

Burn
Burned and drew perfectly for about 2/3 of the way. Then it developed a runner that I had to correct. It stayed corrected so this is not too objectionable. The draw continued to be just right all the way to the end.

Overall
Solid but not overly complex. Very smooth except for a brief period where it developed some harshness. Nice flavors of vanilla and cocoa, just not enough of them. 88/100

Cigar 2
The setting this time was at a cigar bar, 15C in Colorado Springs. I was drinking Ravenswood Zin instead of Scotch, but otherwise everything was the same. Same flavors, same appearance, same burn - except that it ran a little worse on the second go around. It gets an 85 due to the burn problems.

Firestorm????? Did you smoke that stick, or did you pull a Clinton on us?? :D :0 :thumbs:

TheBeast is slackin in the review category...will post soon. Sorry, alot happeing in this neck of the woods.LOL :)

PB... I DID smoke it... (both of them)..........but they smoked like a hot lady on an August night....momentous to say the least.

And their finish was even better than some of the ladies.... :0

VR Review-CPCRC #1

By TheBeast

As walked down a busy street in the business district of Saugatuck, Michigan, I put a small torch to this beautiful cigar. It was clear sunny day, and despite the heavy traffic of tourist, there was a calm in the air. The first few puffs were exilirating. I felt as if I were the town Major or something. Everyone seemed to be focused on me. Were they looking at my cool threads, my hip shades, my "movie star" strut, or maybe it was the cigar? It was hard to tell at first, but I soon over heard interested on lookers. "What a disgusting habit" this little old lady commented. I ignored it at first, after all, that lady was obviously a bitch. Then a portly gentlemen smoking a cigerette gave me the "evil eye" followed by a fake cough. Again, I didn't think much of it, he was probably just pissed at the world because he's such a fat ass, I thought to myself. I continued to walk along and noticed this fine stick to be very well contructed, everything a fine ISOM should be. Flavors raced across my pallet, leaving traces of nut and spice. Even picked up a few hints of flavor from the inner thighs of some sun drenched island woman...very tasty indeed. As I continued to enjoy this fine cigar, I strolled up along the pier. I figured why not check out some fine looking boats while finishing up this gar. Again I seemed to get all the attention wherever I went. Men, women, even child looked on as if I were someone of importance. I felt as if I had the town at my finger tips. Suddenly, a man yelled from his boat. "Hey!!! you smoking the cigar!!" "What are you some kind of idiot?" "You're going to blow this whole place up...can't you smell all the gas fumes from these boats?" Well, this guy is obvioulsy drunk, I thought to myself. I smoke cigars on boats all the time, why the hell don't they blow up? Some people really have nerve, I thought. Well I continued my journey and had this fine smoke down to a numb. As I left the pier I tossed the remains in a garbage can near a public gazebo. I met back up with the wife and kid for a fine dinner at the Butler Bar on the deck. We enjoyed great food and atmosphere. We enjoyed some good live music and my little daughter even got a chance to see real live firetrucks as they raced by to reach a city fire. What a great cigar experience, I thought to myself.

Thanks for the review opportunity Matt :thumbs: Great Idea.

**I smoked the other one while interviewing Horse...you didn't really want to hear about that, did you???? :p :D :p **

Beast, only you could write such an interesting review!!

Nice reading, Bro! ;)

The next time you go by the docks...Say hi to a Coastie if you see one...He wont make snide remarks about your cigar, or give you dirty looks, or make comments about fuel fumes(alot of our boats are diesel. And all are seaworthy as not to worry about smoking next to the tank). All my time in the Coast Guard, no Coastie ever gave me lip or attitude about my gars...Been here training with the Navy for a month, and had to put a couple big mouthed Navy seamen in their place...
I would put out a unreplaceable cigar, if some told me it offends them and I couldn't retreat to a neutral spot with it. But I don't do dirty looks, snide comments half under breath, or stupid jokes. Hold your head high my brother. Enjoy that parejo, tip your hat as you walk by, give them a **** eating grin, and bid them good day! Bravo!

Emo

Were the firetrucks going to the fire at the Public gazebo where you threw your cigar into the trashcan?

:)

JerryG

Are we a litle slow this morning, Jerry?LOL :lookup: :) :lookup: