• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban box size

thatguy99

Hello - I was just curious, do the Cuban cigar makers actually make boxes in 5 and 10 cigar boxes, or all are the vendors selling 5 and 10 cigar packages breaking up individual boxes? Also, why is it that so few places sell the three pack tubos like the Cohiba boxes that seem to be in all the actual cigar stores abroad?

Maybe this is a stupid question. :)

There are some that some from the factory in boxes of ten and there are others that are sold as "5x5" so in those cases, the vendor is breaking them up. The "5x5" usually are 25 cigars each in their own separate box inside of another box that holds five singles.

These are all manufacturer's original packaging. Well, unless you're talking about a reband/rebox vendor.

Havana cigars come in a variety of count packaging:

50-ct: slide lid all wood boxes (also called cabs), i.e. Por Larrañaga Petit Coronas
25-ct: slide lid all wood boxes 2-layer, i.e. El Rey del Mundo Taínos
25-ct: slide lid all wood boxes, ribboned bundle, i.e. Cohiba Robustos
25-ct: full-boite nature all wood boxes, i.e. H. Upmann Sir Winston
25-ct: semi-boite nature all wood boxes, i.e. Partagás Serie D. No. 4
25-ct: dressed boxes (also called semi-plain packaging), i.e. Bolivar Coronas Junior
25-ct: 8-9-8 stacked all wood boxes, i.e. La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 3
25-ct: 5 cigars x 5 cardboard packs, i.e. Jose L. Piedra Brevas
15-ct: 3 cigars x 5 cardboard packs, i.e. Cohiba Robustos
10-ct: single layer semi-boite nature all wood boxes, i.e. Partagás Serie P No. 2
10-ct: single layer dressed boxes, i.e. La Gloria Cubana Tainos
10-ct: 3-4-3 stacked all wood boxes, i.e. Montecristo D EL 2005

I think there are a few other permutations but these are the more commonly found configurations. Also, note that some cigars come in two or more types of packaging.

The only thing to keep in mind about the cardboard packing is that I've observed that cigars in cardboard packs are generally of a lower cosmetic quality than those in wood or dressed box packaging. Other than that, they are identical as far as I can tell. Some smokers opine that the cardboard pack cigars taste better. I can't say that I've observed this.

I probably missed a bunch but you get the general idea.

Wilkey

Hello - I was just curious, do the Cuban cigar makers actually make boxes in 5 and 10 cigar boxes, or all are the vendors selling 5 and 10 cigar packages breaking up individual boxes? Also, why is it that so few places sell the three pack tubos like the Cohiba boxes that seem to be in all the actual cigar stores abroad?

Maybe this is a stupid question. :)

Yes they make 5 and 10. Examples are Cohiba fivers (Siglo series) and Monte #2 now comes in a 10 box. The 3 packs are very common in B & M stores and stores in Cuba sell singles in carboard as well. When you talk about an on-line vender, they like to move volume to defray shipping costs... so one stick or 3 sticks is not good for them, so they MAY bundle them. I really wish i could find a place on-line to add on a single 3 pack of Tubos of Siglo VI onto a full box order... they would get my business for sure. You may be able to find a "combination" with the 3 Tubos in it. Alternatively, maybe someone here might do a Tubos box split of 3 five times.

Agree with all of the above. Furthermore, Habanos S.A. will do any type of packaging for individual vendors abroad as long as they are willing to pay for it. But in general the 5's come in cardboard for Cohibas since it is one of the most popular cigars around the world.

An exception, Cohiba SigloVI come in one of the most beautiful aluminium tubes and sell in packages of five or individuals. I haven't had any good luck with this cigar. Draw problems in all of them. Maybe just my luck. It is also the most expensive cigar sold individually in Havana at 22.50.

The cedar boxes usually for cabinet boxes, I am told, carries better quality tobacco since it is packed with the intention of long term aging and I have to agree with that. I have bought only cabinets for the past 8 months with great results.

The VI also comes in a three pack in the tubos.

Thanks guys - makes sense. :) Sorry to hear about your Siglo VIs Alpi - I had a three pack of those tubos from when I was last in europe, and they all drew great. I was just wondering why I didn't see many of the three packs online.

But I guess either way lately I really have been addicted to cigarbid.com. :)

Hello all,

Have been a cigar smoker for quite a few years, however have been away from the "Island" scene for a while. Have lately been acquiring some boxes from what I feel are reputable sources (doesn't everyone feel that way about their sources) and it appears have had good success when comparing my goods to the fake and real stuff on this board.

I bought a 10 box of Partagas 8-9-8's from a new source, thinking to start small in case of a fake, and since I have never bought a 10 box, I am having a little trouble making sure they are legit.

They smell real. They look real (bunching at foot, etc.) The bands check out OK. The clasp is German. The stamp on the bottom of the box is clean and crisp. The triple cap is good. The seal looks good, right down to the micro print lines. The cigars inside were bound in a yellow CABINET ribbon. The inside instruction sheet is genuine per your discussions on other topics. The only problem I have is that the varnished wood box came in a cheap gray cardboard box that had a red and gold PARTAGAS 898 sticker on one end, the factory stamp NRG NOV 05 on the bottom and the warranty seal properly placed across the end of the box with the PARTAGAS sticker where the box would open. The Habanos seal was on the inside wood box. Both seals were breached (which I know can be from pre-shipping inspection.
The cheap gray cardboard outer box is what is creeping me out, and since I have not bought this arrangement of cigar before, could someone school me on this, please?

Hello all,

Have been a cigar smoker for quite a few years, however have been away from the "Island" scene for a while. Have lately been acquiring some boxes from what I feel are reputable sources (doesn't everyone feel that way about their sources) and it appears have had good success when comparing my goods to the fake and real stuff on this board.

I bought a 10 box of Partagas 8-9-8's from a new source, thinking to start small in case of a fake, and since I have never bought a 10 box, I am having a little trouble making sure they are legit.

They smell real. They look real (bunching at foot, etc.) The bands check out OK. The clasp is German. The stamp on the bottom of the box is clean and crisp. The triple cap is good. The seal looks good, right down to the micro print lines. The cigars inside were bound in a yellow CABINET ribbon. The inside instruction sheet is genuine per your discussions on other topics. The only problem I have is that the varnished wood box came in a cheap gray cardboard box that had a red and gold PARTAGAS 898 sticker on one end, the factory stamp NRG NOV 05 on the bottom and the warranty seal properly placed across the end of the box with the PARTAGAS sticker where the box would open. The Habanos seal was on the inside wood box. Both seals were breached (which I know can be from pre-shipping inspection.
The cheap gray cardboard outer box is what is creeping me out, and since I have not bought this arrangement of cigar before, could someone school me on this, please?

1. Run your vendor past a FOG or other experienced member. If they check out, then you have less to be concerned about.

2. If it looks like this, you're fine.
Partagas898V10Coffin.jpg

BTW, feel free to introduce yourself in the Newbie Introduction Forum

Wilkey

The VI also comes in a three pack in the tubos.

They're about $76 from what I've seen. They also sell 5x3 tubos for about $300 and 10 count boxes for $192, the 10 count is probably as many of those that I would want. I actually like buying 3 & 5 packs just to make sure I like them. I got my Series P #2 in a 10 count also. I like a lot of variety.

Hello all,

1. Run your vendor past a FOG or other experienced member. If they check out, then you have less to be concerned about.

2. If it looks like this, you're fine.
Partagas898V10Coffin.jpg

BTW, feel free to introduce yourself in the Newbie Introduction Forum

Wilkey
I'm sorry for my ignorance, what's a FOG ?

Looks just like that!

Thanks for the quick replies, fellas. I think I am gonna like this place.

Hey, it just occured to me. Does the Partagas 8-9-8 25 stick box come in a cardboard sleeve as well?