• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban vs Others

anvil

Distant Member
Hi every one
I was wondering what your opinions on Cubans vs Others.
I have been smoking Cubans for over 20 years and have just (12 months ago) started on "Other" cigars.
IMHO I feel that the Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran Brands I have tried have been a much nicer smoke for me.Although I have tried some "Others" that I refused to smoke,on the whole I think they are very good cigars.
The only down side I have found on "Others" so far is that some of the quality control is sadly lacking on the wrapper,(small patches and tears).
An example of good "Others" would have to be Padron's, an unreal smoke for the money.

I couldn't agree more, I find a lot of Domestic cigars that are very tasty. However I think the premium domestics have better construction than a lot of Habanos.

I think both of you are right. When, and it is only a when, this embargo ends, there will probably be a major drive on buying Cubans, but I think it will settle down within a year of so. It is just my opinion, but I think the that quality control on some domestics is far superior than there are for many Cubans. I think that my of the domestic makers will start blending with Cuban tobacco and that we will have a whole new type of cigar available that we have not had as of yet. Imagine a DR or NIC tobacco blended with Cuban with domestic quality control!! I think that is where the future of the new cigars will be. As good as Cubans are by themselves, their blends with other, depending on crop, year and location, of other tobacco, will be better than either Cubans alone or Domestics alone. Just my thoughts.

It all depends on the cigar itself. I love both equally. Cuban tobacco has a particular taste I like, but so does Padron's tobacco. There are cuban cigars I love, and there are those that I don't particularly care for. Same with NCs. Cubans are great, but for $10 so is a PAM Exclusivo, and their quality control is second to none IMHO. Great, but a different kind of great. It's unfair to lump all "others" into the same boat, just as you can't lummp all cubans together.

I don't think we should really call non-Cubans domestics as most of them are imported, except for a few such as Tatuaje (although they use imported tobacco). But aside from that note, Cuba is just one country VS Nicaragua, Hondouras, Domincan Republic, Costa Rica, Bahamas, Canary Islands, and everywhere else cigars are made; so in that aspect there are bound to be some cigars that are considerably better and considerably worse than Cubans.

I'm partial to Hondouran cigars, especially stuff from Villazon. Although if the embargo ends and overpriced Cubans flood the U.S. market, I can hopefully get some tasty Fuente treats and Tatuajes at a more reasonable price.

It all depends on the cigar itself. I love both equally.

x2

It just depends on the 'gar specifically or the mood I'm in. But overall, all things being equal, I'll take some Padron's and Fuente's any day of the week.

Hi every one
I have been smoking Cubans for over 20 years and have just (12 months ago) started on "Other" cigars.
IMHO I feel that the Nicaraguan, Dominican, Honduran Brands I have tried have been a much nicer smoke for me.Although I have tried some "Others" that I refused to smoke,on the whole I think they are very good cigars.
The only down side I have found on "Others" so far is that some of the quality control is sadly lacking on the wrapper,(small patches and tears).
An example of good "Others" would have to be Padron's, an unreal smoke for the money.

There's no real point in such a comparison... there are Cuban cigars you'll like, and ones you won't. There are cigars from places other than Cuba that you will like, and some you won't.

Compare brands, not places of origin.

I love Cubans, but my experience with NC's is lacking. Cubans are easier for me to get, so I smoke those mostly. I keep NC's as special smokes, even cheaper one's like Padron 3000. I think moki summed it all up well.

Hi every one

There's no real point in such a comparison... there are Cuban cigars you'll like, and ones you won't. There are cigars from places other than Cuba that you will like, and some you won't.

Andrew is wise.

Cuban cigars are different. Better? That depends on which one you are smoking, and whether you like the flavor. I'll take a RASCC over a PAM Principe anyday. But substitute a Siglo I for the RASCC and hand me the Padron.

Just depends on what you like.

... there are Cuban cigars you'll like, and ones you won't. There are cigars from places other than Cuba that you will like, and some you won't.

Well said. It comes down to each individual finding what appeals to them.

I have been left wanting more after finishing the majority of Cubans that I have smoked. I finished smoking them and thought, "Okay, what am I missing that others find in a Cuban cigar?" With the exception of one particular line of Cubans, I have been underwhelmed with them overall. The line from which I found several enjoyable Cubans was the Bolivar line. The PCs and coronas that I smoked I THOROUGHLY enjoyed.

There are many, Many more non-Cubans lines that I enjoy that keeps me satisfied. They are easier to purchase; they are legal; they are generally less expensive, and their taste is more appealing to me.

Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.

Andrew is wise.
Oh let's just go on and swell his head some then. :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Wilkey

silk_bite_me.jpg

I'd actually asked my local cigar guy the same question recently and he is observing cuban cigar production to be going up as the quality is going down. In that, he suggested two domestic brands that have very strict QC, but I forgot one of them. Ah well, will be enjoying a new smoke tonight.

Hi every one

IMO... Cuban tobacco in general is far superior to any other country. That said... there are blends I don't enjoy and even the best tobacco can be poorly blended. When a cigar is made right, with Cuban tobacco, nothing else comes close. I would say for me, Nicaraguan tobacco is a close second and I would love to see what Mr Padron could blend up using some Cuban leaf.

Even Padron, who makes his living from selling Nic cigars says that nothing is better than Cuban tobacco.

Back