• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuban Warranty Seals

Ginseng

Banned
I recently got a flatbed scanner for my wife's work and decided that I should test it out on some interesting targets. The scanner is the Epson Perfection 3490 Photo and is 48 bit, 3,200 dpi capable. For $99, a great performance value.

Here is a picture comparing a detail of the region surrounding some of the famous microprinting on the Cuban warranty seal. The repeating phrase is "SELLODEGARANTIAREPUBLICADECUBA" and appears along the interior border of the seal at the top and bottom the image. Scans were taken at 3,200 dpi and enhanced and scaled for web viewing.

The microprinting is clearly visible in the authentic seal however, it is quite degraded in the knockoff. Based on good matches of geometric features of the two, I'd guess that the knockoff was made from an authentic specimen scanned at medium-high resolution and then reproduced photographically into a printing plate of some sort. The quality at just over 9X magnification is not great but I think better than most inkjet printers are capable of.

(IMG:http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/Gins...Magnified01.jpg)

Wilkey

From my experience in the stamp business, it almost looks like the orginal or geniune warranty seal was printed using the lithography method, while the fake uses the lesser quality photogravure method.

This is easily identified by the lettering.
In the litho the edging inside the lettering is sharp with no bleeding or bumpiness.
While the photogravure method leaves a bumpy, unclean edge.

From my experience in the stamp business, it almost looks like the orginal or geniune warranty seal was printed using the lithography method, while the fake uses the lesser quality photogravure method.

This is easily identified by the lettering.
In the litho the edging inside the lettering is sharp with no bleeding or bumpiness.
While the photogravure method leaves a bumpy, unclean edge.

Yep, looks like a color photocopy.

the genuine uses microprinting as well, which is very difficult, if not impossible to duplicate.

Any idea as to when this microprinting started?

I just checked on a box of Romeo & Juliet Juliettas (sp?) and the print is there. However does anyknow know about the various three packs that the cohiba and trini's are sold in?

I just checked on a box of Romeo & Juliet Juliettas (sp?) and the print is there. However does anyknow know about the various three packs that the cohiba and trini's are sold in?

I am not sure of the start date. I will dig a little. I think the CigarNexus site might have that info.

As for the small seals on cardboard packs, there is no microprinting on those and no serial numbers either.

Wilkey

I am not sure of the start date. I will dig a little. I think the CigarNexus site might have that info.

As for the small seals on cardboard packs, there is no microprinting on those and no serial numbers either.

Wilkey

Here ya go :

http://www.cigarnexus.com/counsel/cubanseal/index.html

Some of the info on the cigarnexus site is out dated. Like the water mark under a UV light now glows yellow instead of pink.

Gensing your input to CP is nonstop...KUDOS to you! Thanks...

C&R

Nice picture!

P.S. how do you have such a ready supply of "fakes" to compare with? :laugh:

Considering the left is missing the "EL" band and you've said the right is fake I'd have to go with the middle one being authentic.

As far as the fake EL band, I'm pretty sure that they use a zinc powder based ink rather than over print PMS 126 w/ Black rastor halftones.

Great pics Wilkey - Thanks!

Brian