• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

curved humidor update.

Humidor Minister

So far so good. The curved panels fit perfectly and I'm on to sanding them, finalizing the legs and moving on to the first stage of reinforcing the structures insides. These pics will give you a better idea of what's going on here. Anyway, please enjoy the update. (BTW, the duct tape is temporary :laugh: )
373963315.jpg

373963309.jpg

373963316.jpg

OMG....wow is all I have to say! Nice work man. :thumbs:

4 legs seems a little delicate for a piece that size.

Any plans on making it 6 or 8(for asthetics).

6 with 4 inthe back
8 with 2 more in F/B.

Very nice piece and great progression. Can't wait to see as this piece keeps moving along.

4 legs seems a little delicate for a piece that size.

Any plans on making it 6 or 8(for asthetics).

6 with 4 inthe back
8 with 2 more in F/B.

Thank you guys very much.
I haven't decided on that just yet. I have a plan for 2 in the rear if it becomes necessary. There will be some triangulation inside that will be between the cedar and the outside. I will test it for more weight at that point. I don't foresee any issues though. Bubinga is an extremely hard wood plus the interior structure I have planned should be overkill. All the joints are Mortise and Tenon as well. Even W/O the legs glued up it will hold my weight now 220lbs ish ;) More to come soon. :D

Today I sanded the panels to 400 grit so far. I wiped it down for the first time with some lacquer thinner to clean the dust off and this is what jumped out at me. Now I know why they call it Waterfall Bubinga. There's no finish on it yet but Now I really look forward to that stage.

374169734.jpg

That baby is coming along very nicely Bill, thanks for the update pictures and info...... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Do you use a CAD program at all?

As far as strength. Most people do no give wood enough credit for strength and resiliency.

But, I would calculate the loads, based on the humidor being full of cigars, then somebody walking over and leaning

on it. Although, I don't think you have to worry about a nekked girl dancing on top of it.

Thanks guys. The other thing to consider is that the frame is made with lamination's. This adds a tremendous amount of strength. In addition, when the panels are secured into the frames, this will hold everything square. As mentioned before, all the framework is made using mortise & tenon joinery too. This is one of the strongest joints possible. Today the fun begins. I'll be applying the first coats of finish to the panels. :thumbs:

Thank you. I appreciate it very much. Another desk top coming very soon with a little different look. It's made from 50,000 year old ancient wood called Kauri. :thumbs:

Here's a shot of what I like to call Ebony Stiletto's I like using Gabon Ebony for little details. In this case it's a little tip on the legs. I think little details like this helps dress a piece up.
374410959.jpg

374410953.jpg

Jumping Jeez you do not no anything wrong, like a Diamond Crown Maximus, just perfect stuff every damn time :thumbs: I am really looking forward to seeing this finished.

Thanks very much. I'm just really good at hiding my mistakes. :whistling: :laugh: Fortunately this project has been pretty good to me. :blush:

Hey Bill is that a band from a Fuente Sungrown? :sign: :laugh: j/k of course.

I know you tested the cabinet to hold 220, but how does that little leg keep from splitting? I'm sure the owner should be cautioned not to drag it on anything for fear of chipping that beautiful dark wood (it is wood isn't it?)

After I wrote this, I'm confidant your knowledge of wood would have overcome any concerns like mine :blush:

Very beautiful work there! Keep posting pics!

Hey Bill is that a band from a Fuente Sungrown? :sign: :laugh: j/k of course.

I know you tested the cabinet to hold 220, but how does that little leg keep from splitting? I'm sure the owner should be cautioned not to drag it on anything for fear of chipping that beautiful dark wood (it is wood isn't it?)

After I wrote this, I'm confidant your knowledge of wood would have overcome any concerns like mine :blush:

Very beautiful work there! Keep posting pics!

A very good question. The Gabon Ebony is one of the hardest woods you can find. (Also the most expensive) In addition, there is a dowel down the middle of the leg and into the ebony. I build a jig that allows me to drill the holes through the end grain of both pieces straight. This is a method used in fine furniture regularly to achieve this look. There will be a felt pad added on the bottom at the end of the project to prevent it from scratching the floor. Thanks very much

I dressed up the rails and stiles with a border of Ebony as well. I think it adds depth to the WFB. I felt that an intricate inlay would have drawn you away from the WFB. This week will be a lot of sanding and finishing. Hopefully it'll be standing by the end of the week. Then it's on to the Cedar insides and drawers. I hope you are enjoying this build as much as I am. :thumbs:
374823894.jpg

374823897.jpg

374823898.jpg

Man that thing just pops! It's really coming along nicely. :thumbs: