• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutter or Punch

Pick one please

• Cutter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Punch

• Teeth

• Other

• I like to light the closed end

• Total voters
If the taste of tar doesn't bother you then use a punch. If it does... And by the way, the cutter is not a guillotine. I see folks in my B$M regularly cut into the body of a cigar. You're only supposed to remove the top of the cap, best done by carefully circumscribing the cap and lifting it off.

Doc.

To that end, I frequently use my (carry) knife. I keep it exceptionally sharp.

If the taste of tar doesn't bother you then use a punch. If it does... And by the way, the cutter is not a guillotine. I see folks in my B$M regularly cut into the body of a cigar. You're only supposed to remove the top of the cap, best done by carefully circumscribing the cap and lifting it off.

Doc.
I find if you make the hole large enough, this is not an issue.
The problem is that most punches you can get here in the states are small in diameter.
I have to go to European websites to find punches large enough for 46 ring gauge or above.

Doc.
I find if you make the hole large enough, this is not an issue.
The problem is that most punches you can get here in the states are small in diameter.
I have to go to European websites to find punches large enough for 46 ring gauge or above.

Carl was nice enough to gift me one of these larger gauge punches. If you like a punch you should look into getting yourself one as they work perfectly! There's a punch built into my Colibri, but I never use it -- it's just too small.

I really loved punchers since I used it first time. Now I even use it with thin coronas!
I only use cutter with torpedos and if the draw is not good enough after punch.

I really loved punchers since I used it first time. Now I even use it with thin coronas!
I only use cutter with torpedos and if the draw is not good enough after punch.
Michal,

Would you tell me about why the punch is so good for you?

Wilkey

I think its mostly about cigar to mouth comfort, but sometimes when I opened a robusto with a cutter after 1/2 when cigar was a little wet the wrapper starter to unwind. I had this situation only few times, but never with punched cigar.
Another thing are flat head cigars where after cut they have almost the same thickness all the way long, with puncher its a definitely different thing... so looks like its a comfort issue too

I think its mostly about cigar to mouth comfort, but sometimes when I opened a robusto with a cutter after 1/2 when cigar was a little wet the wrapper starter to unwind. I had this situation only few times, but never with punched cigar.
Another thing are flat head cigars where after cut they have almost the same thickness all the way long, with puncher its a definitely different thing... so looks like its a comfort issue too

For me, a punch seems to provide the cleanest approach to opening the head of the cigar. Sometimes a cutter leaves tobacco "crumbs" and I don't particularly enjoy those. There's also less damage to the head than you sometimes get with a cutter.

I don't think I'd get as much satisfaction from a punch if I didn't use the European-sized ones, though. They're just too small of a gauge and, as Doc pointed out above, can sometimes lead to excessive tar build up.

As with anything else in this hobby of ours, YMMV!

For me, a punch seems to provide the cleanest approach to opening the head of the cigar. Sometimes a cutter leaves tobacco "crumbs" and I don't particularly enjoy those. There's also less damage to the head than you sometimes get with a cutter
Yep, another reason.

I don't think I'd get as much satisfaction from a punch if I didn't use the European-sized ones, though. They're just too small of a gauge and, as Doc pointed out above, can sometimes lead to excessive tar build up.
Ou... so US punchers are smaller? Mine is almost, for example, Lancero gauge sized, and I have never had any tar problem

Here's the technique I use. It employs a double-bladed cutter, is simple to do, and almost eliminates the risk of splitting the wrapper from the typical crushing action of a shear-type cutter (scissors, single or double-bladed guillotines such as the Davidoff, Xikar, or Palio). Ginseng's Score and Lift Techinique.

An added plus is that since it is so gentle, you get a look under the cap to examine construction details of your cigar.

Wilkey
I'm a convert to Wilkey's method. My razor sharp Xikar gets it done, time after time.

I will confess that with torps I take a pretty liberal "chop" on the end to open them up. Works fine, every time.

Regards - B.B.S.

x2

I use a double guillotine...seems to work best in most cases...been a long time since I bit the end off...