• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutter Recommendations

jayro75

I have been using one of those cheap plastic jobs from my local B&M and quite often my cuts have been leading to cracks in the wrapper of my sticks. I at first thought it was a humidity problem but quickly ruled that out. I realized yesterday that the blade on my cutter is dull and is not cutting but breaking the end off. I was hoping to get some recommendations on quality cutters so that I can enjoy my cigars without having them crack.

I have been using one of those cheap plastic jobs from my local B&M and quite often my cuts have been leading to cracks in the wrapper of my sticks. I at first thought it was a humidity problem but quickly ruled that out. I realized yesterday that the blade on my cutter is dull and is not cutting but breaking the end off. I was hoping to get some recommendations on quality cutters so that I can enjoy my cigars without having them crack.

Do a search on cutter recommendations, there are plenty of threads on this.

Again with the glib remarks, Anthony. (is today your Friday?)

Jay...I find using my teeth, to take the cap off, works best!
Simply suckle on the cap(the pigtail ones are good to try this with)...it will moisten and you'll be able to easily remove the cap with your teeth.

Now, sometimes you may have to bite a little off the top...but I'm sure you will be able to handle it. :thumbs:

There are indeed numerous threads you can find with the search function on cutters. That being said, I have been using a Xikar Xi2 for nearly a year and it's been great. I also have a Colibri pen/punch that I often use on parejo cigars. However, I smoke a lot of torpedos, perfectos, belicosos, and figurados, and a punch cutter is just no good for those - and so the Xikar gets most of the duty.

I'm not sure the cutter is your problem. As Gary said, wet the tip first, then cut. It is nice to have an expensive cutter to impress your friends but keep in mind Orlando Padron uses his thumbnail.

Doc.

cheap=Havana Cutter

$$=Palio

But I like the 'suckling' method too.

Again with the glib remarks, Anthony. (is today your Friday?)

Jay...I find using my teeth, to take the cap off, works best!
Simply suckle on the cap(the pigtail ones are good to try this with)...it will moisten and you'll be able to easily remove the cap with your teeth.
Now, sometimes you may have to bite a little off the top...but I'm sure you will be able to handle it. :thumbs:

Gary, that was the prefered method of my grandfather, all this high tech crap is overkill! It must be Friday somewhere :thumbs:

I prefer the Xikar cutters. In addition to being really good cutters they have an unconditional no questions asked lifetime warranty. Great compnay! :thumbs:

I'm not sure the cutter is your problem. As Gary said, wet the tip first, then cut. It is nice to have an expensive cutter to impress your friends but keep in mind Orlando Padron uses his thumbnail.

Doc.

Well... I can't think of a better way to impress my friends than to cut my cigar with Orlando Padron's thumbnail!

I love my Palio, but a sharp el cheapo works well if used correctly. Moisten the cap and make sure you cut the cigar with a quick and decisive action. The best guillotine cutters can crack the cap if you fiddle around with the cut and don't cut quickly. Also, make sure you're not cutting too much. If you get too far into the binder and filler, it will be harder to get a clean cut.

I had a Xikar for quite awhile and liked it a lot until I got the Palio.

The thumbnail and teeth work too, but I have a hard enough time living down smoking a corncob pipe to be biting the caps off of my cigars. :laugh:

Thanks guys for the responses! I've learned alot, especially that I need to use the search function. :laugh:

I'm definitely going to try moistening the cap and see if that helps but I may also buy a new cutter.

IMHO, there is no substitute for the Palio. I have a Xikar, but I never use it anymore.
Scott

Okay since the original poster did say he'd search, here is the real answer

cheap=Havana Cutter

$$=Palio

But I like the 'suckling' method too.

If you can find one for the price you will not find a better cutter!

Without going into super high end cutters Palio is the best. I have a Xicar and a Palio and much prefer the Palio, the cut I get from the Palio is much better than my Xicar.

I haven't used one but I've heard if you want a real cheap cutter the Havana cutter is the way to go, suppose to be the best cheap cutter out there and it can last a long time.

Without going into super high end cutters Palio is the best. I have a Xicar and a Palio and much prefer the Palio, the cut I get from the Palio is much better than my Xicar.

I haven't used one but I've heard if you want a real cheap cutter the Havana cutter is the way to go, suppose to be the best cheap cutter out there and it can last a long time.

I hear an echo of approval!

I have a palio and a xikar, both are great. Use them both at a B&M and pick the one that works best for you.

I have both a Palio and a Xikar.
For the life of me... I can not get a straight cut with the Xikar. Very well made and sharp but I think I must be retarded, with that type of cutter.
The Palio has been perfect for me. Only think that sucks, is the little tobacco pieces getting stuck in the rail and slides of the cutter. I also wish it opened and closed a little smoother.
I recieved a cutter from the golf course, a while back and it worked very well too.
Have a very nice day and hopefully a smoke too.