• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cutters

jgriddle

Crusty ole Fart Newbie
;) ;) Well, this cheap cutter I have is making the chompin end of my cigars look like they were cut with an ax so I want to get a good one. It is one I picked up from my local shop for under 5 bucks. I'm really not a cheapo just ignorant at the time.
I have an AVO punch but for some of my cigars I need a really good cutter, I think.
I was looking at the Xikar cutters and found out there are 3 of them. Xi is about $59.00, Xi2 is about $39.00 and the xi3 is $79.00.
Can anyone tell me the diference and is one better than the other?
Thanks for you help
Jerry :D

I got just 3 words for ya, Swiss Army Knife. :love:

Either the SAK or the Palio.

Up until March when America West lost my luggage I had been using a Palio for about a year and a half and was really happy with it. Great cut every time and when I wanted to clean it because of buildup of tobacco in the groves I just put it in the dishwasher and it cleaned all the gunk out with no damage to the cutter. :thumbs:

Since March I went back to using a Xikar Xi that I had and I remembered why I got the Palio. I cannot get a consistant straight cut with the Xikar. I end up with a crooked cut almost every time. :(

I have used the SAK on several occasions and it gives a great cut but I can't bring myself to buy another SAK, I've got three regular (without the cigar cutter) Swiss Army Knives already.

I found info on the Palio. Nice looking cutter. Do you mean a Swiss Army Knife cigar cutter or just a knife.
Hat to sound dumb here guys.
Thanks

Jerry that would be the Swiss Army Knife cigar cutter.

Go with a Zino. Probably the best cutter made, IMHO.

I have a Palio, Xicar Xi2, Xikar Multi-tool, Zino knockoff and a SAK. The only thing i use is the SAK. Everything else is junk. Get a SAK with a cigar cutter. A great place to start is www.bargainhumidors.com

Vic

Bruddah Jerry,

The Xikars cutter can be purchased from $35 - $40 if you look around hard enough. Try www.c-gars.com (Dee's Fine Cigars)... they usually have a deal on Xikars. I own 2 of the Xi's and I like them... I like the heavy feel and the solid "click" when it cuts. Plus... the customer service you receive from Xikar is excellent based on my experiences.

I'd also recommend the Zino double blade cutter or the Palio if you're looking for a a double blade cutter. I've used both and they are very good and if I had to choose one over the other I'd pick the Palio but only by a hair.

The SAK cutter looks neat and my buddy uses it exclusively... he loves it! I tried it once and that SAK scissors cut clean, neat and quick... a very cool cutter to have. In fact... I'm thinking about getting one soon and that's saying something because I hate spending money on accessories... I'd rather spend my money on cigars!

Good luck in your hunt for the perfect cutter... I'm sure you'll pick a winner!

Aloha,

Wade

While your over at Cigar Bid figguring out which ones to bid on, put in a bid on a SAK. I used to always carry a cutter and a pocket knife, now just the SAK. Not only a great cutter, but probably the best steel in a knife blade I have seen. Sharpened the blade when I got it, over a year ago, will still shave ya. :love: :thumbs:

A tip for the SAK, put a bit of pressure with the cigar against the cutter as you snip, straight cuts every time.

Hate to show my ingnorance here...
(yeah, I can hear it now: Your ignorance is showing <snicker>)
Is a SAK the Swiss Army Knife?

???

LOL, I checked out a dozen sites looking for an SAK cutter. :0 Thanks Dave, at least I know what I did wrong :thumbs:

Just in case nobody has noticed. :p If you look at CigarBid, they have almost all of those cutters listed periodically and usually pretty cheap. Now I want to know has anybody tried the Colibri lighter with the built in cutter?. I was thinking of buying one of those, just to save space in my pocket.

I've been useing a SAK for about 2 years and it cuts as good today as when I first got it. I prefer the slimline model as it fits in the pocket better without bulging. I don't need any competition of bulging items in my pockets. ROFLMAO! :D

If you want to go the Xikar route they have a new tool called The MTX multi-tool. You can see it at Xikar.com. I saw several this past wkend at a herf and the guys that had them said they were great. I cut one of my cigars with it and it made a very clean cut. There's a group buy being done on CF for these at a very good price. Its under the Accessories Room forum. Look for the thread titled Xikar Group Buy.

ParaGod said:
Now I want to know has anybody tried the Colibri lighter with the built in cutter?. I was thinking of buying one of those, just to save space in my pocket.
I haven't tried one yet...but I was all set to buy one the other day and my local tobacconist talked me out of it. He sells alot of lighters, especially Colbri and he all but told me the cutters in the lighter/cutter combos are junk. I guess you can take it for what it's worth, but he lost a $100 sale telling me that because I ended up not purchasing a lighter at all...yet he seemed comfortable giving me his opinion. :)

If you're talking about the Colibri with the scissors type cutter built into the bottom of the lighter.... my buddy (and local tobacconist) told me the same thing.... the cutter is crap! The only lighter/cutter combos that I've tried that were any good were the ones with the bullet cutters... all the guillotine and scissors type cutters weren't good at all.

Aloha,

Wade

jgriddle

I have been looking for the same cutter. I have found it a little cheap than what you were quoting on phatash.com

the xi3 is 60, and the xi1 is 40. These have been the lowest prices I have found on the net. I found the xi3 at a shop in new york for 50. I don't remeber the name of the store but when I am there this weekend I will look up the store and see if they have mail order for you.