• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff Dom Perignion - Past their prime?

JBL11183

Lurker
I recently got the chance to purchase a few of these cigars and was considering it for a holiday gift to a business associate who is a serious cigar smoker. After doing some research I found mixed reviews, and many say that the cigars past it's prime and not really worth its price. Has anyone smoked these recently? And if so what are your feelings I know they are a bit pricey, but the price really is a factor but are they worth it? When I say worth it, I mean are they that good of a smoke, or have they past their prime? As most of you know there are cigars out there that are less pricey but considered to be in the same "category" for lack of a better word. What are your feelings? And suggestions if you think there's something out there better worth trying.

I think it's more of a case of how were they cared for. I've had 80's Davidoff's that really blew me away and some that were really flat from a different source.

Personally, I'm a little timid anymore when it comes to purchasing old Cuban goodies at a premium. I still have a decent stock of them that it seems I have less than a 50% success rate of thinking "that was worth it" after smoking. They all came from very reputable vendors in the UK.

They're mostly relying on the cigars having been properly cared for over several years when they source them from auctions.

The last one that I had was in 2007. At that time, there was plenty of gas in the tank. If I had to guess, that cigar would not be past it's prime today. It was a great experience, but truth be told, there are no cigars that are worth that kind of coin.

I had a few back in 2008 I think.  They were decent cigars, but nothing I'd purchase again.

Source is KEY for these smokes.  There was a fiasco a couple of years back where MANY Dunhills and Davidoffs were sold, and a lot of them turned out to be frauds.  I had one back in 07 and it was an amazing smoking experience.

The source isn't an issue. It is a private collector who maybe one of the most obsessive cigar collectors I've ever met. IMHO I don't think any cigar is worth that much either but I'm not gonna lie it's to impress a large client who is some what of an aficionado.... But if I am dropping that kinda dough I don't want it to be on a cigar that is "ehh".

Any suggestions on something along the lines of what I'm looking for? Which is expensive enough to impress and also something that a real smoker would enjoy Thanks for all the input so far

uptown_isy said:
Source is KEY for these smokes.

JBL11183 said:
The source isn't an issue.
Sourcing the good stuff is never an issue, except when you make it an annual habit of looking for high end goodies for business associates around the holidays.
Why not go to that great gentlemen's club you recommended and buy a handful of their most expensive offerings from their Cuban Cigar menu?

If this guy is only somewhat of an aficionado, then buy something that is more accessible. A nice aged CORO, or Cohiba esplendido or anything else aged and a CC. Hell if all you want is to show you dropped coin in a cigar than buy Cohiba piramides, Cohiba behike, or a regional edition like Phoenicios or edmundo Dantes.

MilesMingusMonk said:

Source is KEY for these smokes.

JBL11183 said:
The source isn't an issue.
Sourcing the good stuff is never an issue, except when you make it an annual habit of looking for high end goodies for business associates around the holidays.
Why not go to that great gentlemen's club you recommended and buy a handful of their most expensive offerings from their Cuban Cigar menu?

Now I remember him... you'd think someone who had more cargo than he knew what to do with wouldn't have such a tough time with gifts every single December.