• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Davidoff Nicaragua

I had an opportunity to smoke a robusto last week and was pleased with the overall burn and flavor. I was at a resort and paid $21 for it, but would not pay that price again.<br /><br />Frank

My brother tried one a few days ago.  One of the guys at the store that thinks Davidoffs are overhyped recommended it as one of the few that he liked.  My brother was very impressed by it. 

Tall Paul said:

I had one a few weeks ago.  It smelled phenominal.  After lighting, it was medium bodied, very smooth, and ultimately boring.  However, there's a chance they could be good with age...?  I wouldn't mind trying another just to see if it was the same experience; but yeah, at $20 a stick, I may not. 

I just saw that CI has the robustos for about $13.20 each....plus shipping. Are they worth that in your opinion?

Thanks

I don't have a solid opinion on them.  I've only had one of them, but I would definitely try another for $13.

That's good enough for me!  :thumbs:

Gary I'm curious on your opinion once you smoke them so please share.

Finally smoked the robusto. I think the catch word of "smooth" says it all...and the construction was second to none as usual. But with that smoothness was not much in the line of flavor. Yes, it's one dimensional...and I like that if that single profile has a pleasant taste...which was just OK. To me it was kind of bland, the cold aroma was way better than when it was lit. Maybe I was judging it too harshly as I couldn't get the price point out of my head as I was smoking it. Keep in mind, I was not judging this looking for a major flavor bomb like a Tat or the Illusione Rothchildes, you know going in that their cigars are more on the mellow, refined side. 

I can't say for sure, but I don't think aging time will do these any good. Extended down time could only mellow the cigar out even more I think. When you stop to think about what could be their angle on marketing these cigars, they're probably aiming for the light to medium Davidoff smoker who can't tolerate the shear strength of a Nicaraguan puro. So they blended a mellow version of it, slapped a secondary "Nicaraguan" band on it, and now a Davi smoker can say they're smoking a Nicaraguan cigar which is all the rage in the current market. 

Paul, this would have been the perfect first cigar to smoke right after your nasal surgery... :laugh: