• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dealing with high ambient humidity?

WRXpilot

Hello,

What (if anything) do you guys typically do w/ your humidification when the ambient humidity goes beyond 70%?

I have a modest sized tupperdor, using a ci-gel jar for RH control, which has been pretty good so far. The ambient humidity has been almost 100% here for the past few days though, and forecast to stay there for the rest of the week. Since my apartment isn't air-conditioned, the hunidity around my humidor is also at that high level.

Can I trust the ci-gel to keep the humidity *lower* than ambient inside my 'dor, or should I be taking measures to dry it out? I'm mainly worried about preventing mold; there's not too much I can do about the high temperatures, but the combination of high temp + high RH is making me worried.

As I'm new to all this, I've never gone through caring for cigars when the humidity is too high, rather than too low.

Beads will help. This is the best way (IMHO) to regulate the humidity. Take a look at this.

I used the ci-jel for a while but then i noticed the humidity kept going higher than i wanted (about 72%) so I took it out. Right now I have nothing in the humidor and amazingly it's been reading 68% on my digital hygrometer. But i will order the beads since everyone says they work great with little maintenance.

I second the beads... not only do they release humidity well, they absorb it just as good. And when you get too much absorbed and they won't suck up any more, just blast the beads with a blow dryer and you're set again.

greatest thing for a humidor, besides cigars, IMO! My cooler has been super rock steady at 65% forever and a day... no matter what the RH is doing outside- up and down, all over the place this summer.

get the beads!!

In Singapore the Humidity is super high ALWAYS.... My advice...get the beads.... Sometimes when I feel like it, I will open my humidor or tupperdor during the nights in an air conditioned room to dry out the beads...

Well, despite all the disagreement on this issue it seems a slim majority is in favor of switching to beads :p .

Looks like my initial tupperdor size estimation was a bit small anyway, it's already time for a bigger box. So I'll be setting that up w/ beads for sure.

I too have been dealing with high ambient humidity. I was using the Humi-Care crystals from CI in my cooler and the humidity shot up to 78%. without anything in the cooler it is still at 73%, so I definitely think some 65% beads are in order and will be ordering some very soon.

After I get the beads, should I put them in the cooler without adding any distilled h2o due to the already high humidity?

Thanks

WRXpilot said:
Well, despite all the disagreement on this issue it seems a slim majority is in favor of switching to beads  :p .

Looks like my initial tupperdor size estimation was a bit small anyway, it's already time for a bigger box.  So I'll be setting that up w/ beads for sure.
[snapback]219403[/snapback]​

Go for the beads, you won't regret it. As a matter of fact you will be happy you did.

C&R

If you have no ac then I would be very concerned about the temp. Anything over 70 degrees makes beetles a real issue. You might want to consider a Haier wine cooler.

It has been a concern of mine, for sure. Right now I have few enough cigars that I basically check them every day to make sure there're no signs of beetle activity. I still only have one tupperdor, so it's not the pain it would be if I had boxes and boxes.

Not the ideal situation, for sure, but I'm working with what I have for the moment.

Do the Haier coolers use a non-dehumidifying refridgeration method? I've heard the name mentioned elsewhere before.