• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dentalwork has me out

beyond the band

cantankerous newb
3 hours in the chair yesterday getting 2 back molars extracted.
Dentist warned me about dry sockets and said avoid cigars for 48 hours. I searched here and found a thread. Doc says no and that's enough for me. I googled dry socket and am more freaked out than ever.
My question is if there is any way to know you are out of the dry socket danger zone?
I only have 20 vicodin!

Just rest assured, I'll try to smoke enough for both of us while you recover. Speedy healing, brother. We're supposed to get beautiful weather next week, which sounds like cigar time to me.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that brother. Come on you can make it 48hrs. If not just smoke with an ice cube in your mouth. No more dry socket. Just listen to the Doc and wait till Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Good luck.

Anyone want to herf with this bastage on Saturday?

I had my wisdom teeth out on teusday. The dentist said to avoid cigars for a month. Cigarettes for 10 days. Alcohol until I'm off the vicodin. I really quizzed them on the dry socket thing and they said the biggest thing was to avoid smoking for 10 days. Hope that helps.

Steven

3 hours in the chair yesterday getting 2 back molars extracted.
Dentist warned me about dry sockets and said avoid cigars for 48 hours. I searched here and found a thread. Doc says no and that's enough for me. I googled dry socket and am more freaked out than ever.
My question is if there is any way to know you are out of the dry socket danger zone?
I only have 20 vicodin!

If you get a dry socket, the vicodin ain't going to help.

Doc.

I've heard awful things about dry sockets, few of my friends had bad experiences when their wisdom teeth were removed.

Hope you'll be back in good order when you get to Vegas!!

Years ago, when i was much younger, I had to have my all my wisdom teeth surgically removed because they were all impacted. They wanted to just shoot me up with the standard numbing stuff at first. Given my severe reaction to needles...ie i don't like them at all, they agreed to some sort of twilight type deal. All I recall is trying to count backwards from 10. I beleive i made it to 8. I woke while they were still working but did not care and passed out again while they finished.

My mom took me home and asked want I wanted for dinner, jello or pudding. I responded with "fried chicken", and that night, I ate fried chicken. My logic was that I still couldn't feel any pain...especially with the percodan, so why not? Guess my mom agreed. The next few days were mostly soft stuff, but that chicken was damn good. Percodan is not my friend as i found out that night as well...makes me itch like i just rolled in fiberglass insulation. Fried chicken can make you forget about that as I recall though too.

Heh...to be young and dumb again. Hope you heal up quick. I never got dry socket, but i can't imagine it being any fun.

I had my wisdom teeth out on teusday. The dentist said to avoid cigars for a month. Cigarettes for 10 days. Alcohol until I'm off the vicodin. I really quizzed them on the dry socket thing and they said the biggest thing was to avoid smoking for 10 days. Hope that helps.

Steven

So maybe the reason I was in my lounge chair blowing bubbles Wednesday night was due to the glass of JW Black and the Vicodin?:sign:

Don't listen to your Doctor. Take the advice of a cigar board membership. Maybe some of us stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :D

Whopper,

I did listen to my dentist. I just thought it would be cool if we had a resident dentist here.

Steven

Whopper,

I did listen to my dentist. I just thought it would be cool if we had a resident dentist here.

Steven

Steven,

The comment was not directed at you. I agree it would be cool if there were a dentist on CP.

I just found it amusing for some reason that BTB was asking for dental advice on a cigar forum . :p

Bill

I waited a week after having 2 done. I mean the first couple days with the vic's I didnt even feel like I wanted a smoke anyway. I did go real easy on the food and rinsed alot. Don't know if he has you on any antibiotics, but if so you should go for the yogurts. Its good stuff. Easy to down and puts some of that good bacteria back in ya.

Hope your feeling better

Art

What is dry socket? Also, I have to have a tooth removed and an implant, well- implanted in my mouth wednesday. Will I have dry socket too?

I had a dental implant done a few months ago and was told that tobacco use promotes failure of the healing process. I was told to abstain from smoking cigars for about a month, which I did and it healed up just fine.

What is dry socket? Also, I have to have a tooth removed and an implant, well- implanted in my mouth wednesday. Will I have dry socket too?

A clot forms in the hole the tooth was. A dry socket is when, for whatever reason, the clot is dislodged from the hole. This causes incredible pain and doesn't go away until the dentist packs the hole with a long thin gauze impregnated with oil of cloves. Amazingly, it provides immediate and instantaneous relief from the pain.

Doc.

A clot forms in the hole the tooth was. A dry socket is when, for whatever reason, the clot is dislodged from the hole. This causes incredible pain and doesn't go away until the dentist packs the hole with a long thin gauze impregnated with oil of cloves. Amazingly, it provides immediate and instantaneous relief from the pain.

Doc.

I always wonder how they figure out random sounding remedies like that. History of trial and error I suppose, or maybe just a lucky accident.

I had all 4 taken out under local since I was broke and no dental insurance. two were impacted. The gauze was nasty but that funky taste the worse thing of all. I think the taste was from the dry socket/dry blood from the open areas. I remember it was maybe a week before the taste went away.

Edit to add: I remember they had me fill out a survey afterward because I did a local and they don't get many of those. Questions like:

Why are yo so stupid?
Do you really think this will impress/get a date with the dental assistant?
Do you have three nuts?

This came at the right time. I also had a molar taken out on Friday. Three root canal failures, numerous sinus infections, and a couple of buccal abcesses later, I finally had enough and had it taken out.

Thanks for posting so I didn't have to do a search.