• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Digital Camera Help

Hey All,
To be honest I don’t really know anything about digital camera's other then I want one, what are your thoughts on these two I found? Any recommendations?
KODAK C743 Camera

SONY® Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Digital Camera

my advice.....don't buy a kodak, from what i know (and it is quite a bit about digi cams) kodak makes a great sensor, but crappy camera's. the sony is a good cam, as well as canon, nikon, olympus and fuji. depends on your budget. get the most mega pixels you can afford, or if you are looking for a starter cam, a decent canon 5-6 megapixel should run you about $200 bucks. and get a big memory card (1gb (about 40 bucks)or larger) will be benefical. go to www.dpreview.com and look under the reviews tab, lots of helpful info there. I have had a lot of good luck with canon, nikon and olympus, but i am partial to the canon's and nikon's for their non-proprietary memory card use. the nikons and canons use SD cards, which are cheap and readily available.
If you are looking for pocket cams, the SD series in canon are really nice, easy to use and take great pics. nikon's are about the same.
Hope this helps,
Rob

It depends on what size you want and in what function it is needed.

I have an older Nikon 5700. Also, I picked up the Digital ELPH Coach Edition for my mother (purse size being a factor).

I've heard the new Sony's Cyber shot slim's are nice. Here's a couple of pretty good links:

linky1 linky2.

Mrepp - I've found this site to have great reviews. Worth a look.... :cool:

For what its worth, I sure like my Nikon.... :love:

Good luck - B.B.S.

I've been nothing but happy with my canon. Like was said earlier, get the most megapixels you can for the amount you want to spend.

edit: Oh yeah, digital zoom is worthless so don't let that factor in on your decision. All it does is the same that blowing it up on your PC would do. Optical zoom is the important one.

When I decided it was time to get a Digital camera, I had to go with the Nikon Coolpix 4600 which is just a 4.0 megapixel and 3x zoom. But at the time, I couldn't afford more so this one did the trick. As an after thought, I'm glad I bought it. :thumbs:

But as to the 2 you linked, I don't care for either. :laugh:

Thanks for the links guys, I have a good starting point now.

For that price range, I suggest a Canon Powershot A710.

Everything Smellysell wrote is exactly what I was going to. Very happy with my canon, and will be looking to upgrade it soon.

I've had a few, and i absolutely love the Canon SLR Digital Rebel, it's a little pricier than the point and shoot digitals, but you can interchange lens and there's no hesitation when you mash the 'trigger'. I also have a Nikon Coolpix 7c and it's great, and compact also. What Rob K said about the memory cards is right on, imo.

I've had a few, and i absolutely love the Canon SLR Digital Rebel, it's a little pricier than the point and shoot digitals, but you can interchange lens and there's no hesitation when you mash the 'trigger'. I also have a Nikon Coolpix 7c and it's great, and compact also. What Rob K said about the memory cards is right on, imo.

x2 If you are a serious amateur (If you shot slr in film) The rebel is great. My wife bought me my first digital and it was a P&S I loved the digital but the delay drove me batty Especially if you shoot action at all. The rebel replaced my old trusty 35mm and gave me the "Dark room" that I always wanted.

Mark

i have a fugi fine pix camera and it takes great pictures dont have to know much about it eithe, point and click

I've been nothing but happy with my canon. Like was said earlier, get the most megapixels you can for the amount you want to spend.

edit: Oh yeah, digital zoom is worthless so don't let that factor in on your decision. All it does is the same that blowing it up on your PC would do. Optical zoom is the important one.

x2, The only advice I would add is if you plan on doing any traveling, get one that takes standard batteries (AA or AAA), they make ones you re-charge but if you find yourself in a non 120v standard country, the ability to buy cheap batteries will keep you in pictures.

Billy

I'd go with a Canon!
I just have a SD450, but man I like it a lot!!!
Someday I'll upgrade to a Digital SLR!

I have the Sony model you are talking about.

I love it. I highly recomend it. Both my kids are into gymnastics and cheerleading and the 12x zoom lens takes awesome pictures.

That is a great price on a great camera. Go with the Sony.

I'd go with a Canon!
I just have a SD450, but man I like it a lot!!!
Someday I'll upgrade to a Digital SLR!
i have the same camera, and it performs great. very easy to use, great battery life, and PQ (picture quality) is good for a 5mp camera. The newer 6-8mp in the SD series are as compact and the PQ is even better.
I have owned several DSLR's (nikon,olympus) and for learning the craft of photography, it is a great tool, but of late i turn more and more to my point and shoot camera's. I got sick of lugging 30+ pounds of gear around, between lenses (and yes, you will want to buy more than one) flashes, batteries, filters, mem cards, tripod adapters, and more. certainly puts a strain on your back.
i would recomend an advanced point and shoot camera that allows you to adjust apature, shutter speed and the ability to go full manual (the panasonic FZ50, at 10mp and a 12x zoom fits the bill) and is all in one package. just my opinion
Rob

my advice.....don't buy a kodak, from what i know (and it is quite a bit about digi cams) kodak makes a great sensor, but crappy camera's.

I gotta disagree...

The girlfriend wanted this one for Christmas, and we have used the hell out of it since then. We love it. The pictures are CLEAR as glass, and the zoom is awesome! It's not the highest one (I tried, she didn't want the highest fearing she might break it). It's one of the nicest looking camera I've ever seen. Also, it takes Pana-ramic pictures. I've got some shots if you want me to upload them.