• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Distilled Water

verhoevc

Banned
Hi guys, is using distilled water really that important for your humidor? What's the difference? Also, if you've been using tap water in a humidifier, under the assumption ya'll come back and say it's vital to use distilled, what do you do? Can you just start up using distilled? Have to clean it or something?
Thanks,
Chris

Do a search on distilled water and you'll find all the answers you need.

Quick and dirty answer yes use distilled water right out of the jug.

I did do a search for distilled? I always search first cause I know how we hate it over at my guitar building forum when people don't. When I did the search it came back with only 9 responses, having to do with computer RAM, wanting to buy a small cigar case, humidors for sale, and a bunch of things on %????? Give it a go, it's odd what shows up hahahaha.
Chris

Hi guys, is using distilled water really that important for your humidor? YES

What's the difference? Partical content

Also, if you've been using tap water in a humidifier, under the assumption ya'll come back and say it's vital to use distilled, what do you do? Use distilled

Can you just start up using distilled? Yes

Have to clean it or something? depends on the unit....if it's able to be cleaned...do it.

Thanks,
Chris

I did do a search for distilled? I always search first cause I know how we hate it over at my guitar building forum when people don't. When I did the search it came back with only 9 responses, having to do with computer RAM, wanting to buy a small cigar case, humidors for sale, and a bunch of things on % ??? ?? Give it a go, it's odd what shows up hahahaha.
Chris

Try again.

Is the Pope Catholic? :whistling:

Brian

YES it is important to use distilled H2O! If you have already used tap water and there is buildup, there are several ways to clean the tank or sponge. Vinegar is the easiest and rinse with distilled water after letting it set fpor 30 min plus. If the container has an odd or off smell you can use whole milk first to get rid of the odors, then do the vinegar thing. The search bot is a bit screwy lately. There was a thread back a couple of weeks about B&Ms using tap / filtered / distilled water - unfortunately no real consensus as it seems some people LIKE to get their sticks from a smelly / mineralized humidor. I couldn't disagree more and ALWAYS reccommend distilled water. Hope this helps. :)

Edited to add: With beads and gel you have to start over as the mineral / bacteria buildup cannot be cleaned.

In a nutshell, distilled water is free of dissolved minerals that can, over time, contaminate PG/water-soaked foam elements as well as silica beads.

Wilkey

I could have sworn there was a post for beads with mold on them. To clean them out you would have to soak them in a certain % of isopropyl and distlled water and dry them out. Maybe this could also kill the bacteria/minerals? If you do have beads, I'd contact Dave at heartfelt or where you purchased them for some feedback.

Unless you live on one of the few places in this country that doesn't do it, you can bet your water is full of chlorine, ammonia and flouride. Do you really want to marinate your prize cigars in that chemical soup?

Hehe, dick. :p

I barely have time for one sentence posts these days. Just too damn busy and tired.

Wilkey

No no, my cigar oasis is still running on the water it came with it in it (distilled) the only thing I put tap in was the humidifying thing that came with my $30 Thompson humidor (accompanied by 25 crap cigars).
Chris

No no, my cigar oasis is still running on the water it came with it in it (distilled) the only thing I put tap in was the humidifying thing that came with my $30 Thompson humidor (accompanied by 25 crap cigars).
Chris

Haha, i cant remember the last time i got good cigars from them.