• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do all cellular carriers require data package with smart phones?

I tried to do something similar when I left my last phone on the back of a truck (which then drove off). Someone gave me an old Treo and I tried to activate it on Verizon - my previous phone was Sprint. They told me they couldn't sign me up unless I agreed to take a data plan. I don't know if it would have been different if I already had Verizon service and just tried to swap phones. That was several years ago now, though.

That's what I'm saying. I already had phone service. They just pushed the number over.
I'm sure if it were new service they would not have allowed it.

How is the coverage with Boost?

I get a 22% discount on my Verizon bill and it is still higher than several friends with other carriers with the same type of plans.

I'm ok with it near philly. Looking at the coverage map I'm screwed in the mountains. So far no issues with boost.

I'm certain that an iphone cannot be activated without a data plan. As far as older equipment being activated without a data plan......good luck. I would figure that equipment is just old. You can run for now but any decent equipment will need to be bought new for all the newer features like G4. I seen on the android market a few apps not running on equipment just a few years old as well. If you want a smart phone get a data plan. If not get a trak phone or get your friends and family to bust out the CB's.

I work for one of the large cell carriers and can say that when you get a discount on most (some of the lower end data phones are excluded) smart phones with a subsidy (discount for signing a contract) you will be required to have the data feature for the length of the initial contract. The carrier that I work for however has different options for data service ranging from $10 per month for 200 MB up to $60 per month for 10 GB. Once you start service though you are able to change you data package (up or down) from one month to another if your needs change.