• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do we need trader ratings?

Well, maybe we don't need a rating system, but perhaps a different way to call people out? That might be other1's main concern. Having been a member for awhile and seeing some people get drummed out, it seems that the process is a lengthy, mud-slinging affair. Is that what you see other1?? To use an analogy-it's like having the shoot-out at the O.K. Corral. Except in our version of it, the Earps and Doc Holiday shoot each other down as well. ??? With all that being said, it appears that our current system has the majority of member's support, so it shouldn't be changed.

Rating are worthless.......Anyone who's been around these boards long enough will know several things:

1. There are always scam artists in our midst, folks. It happens everywhere.

2. Anyone whose scammed someone knows how to manipulate the system of ratings, traders comments, etc. They set up some good trades, come through with bonus sticks, etc. They build some relationships with those who accept their bonus sticks and defend them until the end. Then they have a nice little repertoire for everyone to see, then, whammo! Gotcha!

3. FOGS know the signs of a crook, plain and simple! I'm not speaking of myself alone, as I don't know half of what some of the older members here know. But I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday either!

So, my advice to you guys is this.....listen to what those who have been around for a while say as you might just learn something! I did!

The problem we have here and on the other boards is that there seems to be to many friggin lawyers around, defending these idiots.

Live and learn, guys!

Cheers! :D

You will always be taking a chance when you send out cigars or money. Do your research on the person you are dealing with and hope the post office doesn't screw up.

And...

There is nothing wrong with a good nasty beat down as long as you keep it civil. It's like the death penalty, killing a guy for killing a guy won't make the next guy think twice or stop him from killing but it gives a great deal of satisfaction and comfort to the victims and keeps the first guy from doing it again.

NA

A trader comment system similar to the one at CF and CW would be welcome, yes. Is it the be-all and end-all in terms of whether you should deal with a person? No.

However if I see someone who has trader comments from people I know and respect, I'm much more likely to be open to trading with them. It does help in the decision making process.

The only downside I can see at all would be if someone abused it, by bolstering their trader comments. Thing is, they wouldn't get these trader comments from established members, so they'd essentially be worthless. They'd be outing themselves if they had a dozen trade comments from folks we've never heard of.

In addition to being useful in terms of rating a trader, it's also a nice place to leave thank you notes for people who've hooked you up. Yes, you can PM it -- but I've found it useful to go back and review past trades using trader comments, to remind me of a trade I did with a specific person. With PMs, those would be long gone.

It's worked on CF and CW; the downside is slight. I'd like to see it happen.

Leebo8-9-8 said:
2. Anyone whose scammed someone knows how to manipulate the system of ratings, traders comments, etc. They set up some good trades, come through with bonus sticks, etc. They build some relationships with those who accept their bonus sticks and defend them until the end. Then they have a nice little repertoire for everyone to see, then, whammo! Gotcha!
I agree with much of what you've said Leebos -- many things have become more clear to me as I've spent more time here, and the FOGs indeed are quite often right. I wish they participated here on the boards more.

However, I will say that someone can do the same thing -- doing a bunch of trades, establishing a reputation, and then scamming someone big time -- without trader comments being in use. I guess I don't see that having trader comments would make much of a difference if this is their intent.

If people decided whether to trade with someone solely on their trader comments, then okay. I can't see many people doing that though. In the totality of things, my estimation is that not having such a system here is worse than having it, and having it potentially abused.

You have to watch your own back too as you can't always depend on others to do it for you. There is no way to totally protect yourself unless you don't do any trades at all.

I hear ya Moki. I think most of these guys watch and learn and see that FOGS no what they're talking about. My point is this: What I think works is what just happened with boylover, he got exposed! Also, the other point is to the few village idiots who always seem to defend these scumbags and we know who does it. Those people should shut their yaps for a change instead of spewing a bunch a garbage. I've said this time and time again, and I will say it more freely now that I'm not a mod any longer. :D

If it don't apply, let it fly!

I've been hearing users ask for a member rating system for the last 5 years -- it's not gonna happen. I don't believe in it, and it doesn't prove to me that a member is either good or bad. If there is a bad tradder, we will hear about it though the forums. You should always beware when trading with a new member with no reputation.

However, I am for creating a site for cigar thiefs - bad traders.

Rod

Rod said:
I've been hearing users ask for a member rating system for the last 5 years -- it's not gonna happen. I don't believe in it, and it doesn't prove to me that a member is either good or bad.
However, it does provide useful information -- and I find that preferrable to a lack of information. They've made it work well on CF and CW; I see no reason why it couldn't work here, and it would be useful for the reasons I've mentioned (not just knowing how someone is as a trader, but a place to say thank you, a record of transactions, etc.).

However, if you've said it's not gonna happen, that's that.

I say this not as a dig or out of disrespect, but I'm genuinely curious: Rod, when is the last time you engaged in a cigar trade using CigarPass as a vehicle? It's possible that what people want, they want because it really would make certain aspects of engaging in trades easier. If you haven't been active in trading cigars on CP, perhaps that's less of a priority for you.

Gary has an excellent site for scumbags and bad traders! I love the "Cops" song in the background!! LMAO

It was referred to in one of the many gamelover threads.

I quit trading, tired of the hassle.

Leebo8-9-8 said:
Yeah, lets just ALL quit trading, less trading would solve all of MMM's issues.

Less trading would result in less thanking, less smoke blowing, less talking about cigars, and who knows, we just might achieve world peace :D

I'm for taking away everyones cigars, that way we wont have to worry about someone ripping off the rest of us.

Maybe we can adopt something the Canadians do with another item: Just keep all of the cigars in a central Government humidor, require everyone who owns a cigar to keep them there, and then when a trade happens, a government official can make sure that only approved people can have access to them. Afterall, it is the CIGAR that is the problem! :D

This isn't rocket science!

camaroon4me said:

Less trading would result in less thanking, less smoke blowing, less talking about cigars, and who knows, we just might achieve world peace :D

I'm for taking away everyones cigars, that way we wont have to worry about someone ripping off the rest of us.

Maybe we can adopt something the Canadians do with another item: Just keep all of the cigars in a central Government humidor, require everyone who owns a cigar to keep them there, and then when a trade happens, a government official can make sure that only approved people can have access to them. Afterall, it is the CIGAR that is the problem! :D

This isn't rocket science!
Trading is a matter of choice. I've been there, done that.

Cheers :D

camaroon4me said:
Leebo8-9-8 said:

When did I ever mention less trading?

My comment regarding this thread was that I feel trader comments are worthless--- take Gamelover2004s feedback at CW for example. The ship had already sunk before a glimmer of the joker's true intentions began to appear in his trade feedback. In fact his "glowing" feedback probably allowed him to take advantage of more good traders.

Real trader comments happen behind the scenes; at herfs and in PMs/ emails from member to member.

Your references to my "Less is more." critique would probably be better served on that thread.

:MMM

Yeah, I was trying to get to the point as well MMM, but he's a noob so I didn't give him the business about it. He'll learn, like they all do........

:D