• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Do you inventory your cigars?

Maduro Clint

Livin the dream
I'm starting to accumulate a good amount of cigars in my new Aristocrat humidor (thanks Bob) and have been researching for an app to record my current inventory.  Instead of breaking out the Excel spreadsheet every time I purchase and/or smoke, I wanted to check if anyone knows of a process, system, or app that you use to keep up with your cigars.  I see folks like Light This who seem to have everything in order.  Please let me know if you have any recommendations/thoughts.

Thanks, Clint  

I don't have anything at all, though I wish I did.  I feel like I've tried a couple of apps with no luck.  Awhile back, there was even one published in CA, but I don't know  that it was any good.

Maybe there have been some updates in the past couple years someone may know of.  I'd be interested to hear as well.

I need to start doing some inventory work, even if it is just an excel sheet.

Maduro Clint said:
I'm starting to accumulate a good amount of cigars in my new Aristocrat humidor (thanks Bob) and have been researching for an app to record my current inventory.  Instead of breaking out the Excel spreadsheet every time I purchase and/or smoke, I wanted to check if anyone knows of a process, system, or app that you use to keep up with your cigars.  I see folks like Light This who seem to have everything in order.  Please let me know if you have any recommendations/thoughts.

Thanks, Clint  

I just open my humidor and look inside.  ;)

Seriously though, are you asking solely for the purpose of keeping track of what you have at any given time or are you also wanting to record your impressions of cigars after you smoke them?  I think keeping an inventory would be very cool, but for me, more work  that what I want to invest.  The most that I do, which works for me, is tag each cigar with a date so I can keep track of it's age.  Other than that, I just look inside and find what I want and sometimes I find surprises... cigars I forgot I had (which is kind of cool). 

I don't inventory. I kind of like that element of surprise when I find something in the back of the cabinet that I haven't seen for a while.

Theres a great wine app that lets you actually take a picture of the label and it tells you all the info you need to know about it and keeps them in your "Cellar."

Wish there was something like this for cigars.  I'm sure if you were so inclined you could get the software and hardware necessary for a barcode/RF scanner system, but thats a lot of extra work in my opinion!

I do my best to use CigarGeeks.com... but that can be a job in & of itself.

I've tried to keep an inventory and find it becomes busy work.  If something needs documentation, I'll put it on a blank band for the cigar(s).  It's a nice exercise when reorg'ing the cooler/humidor.  More fun to go digging.  My collection is paltry compared to most here.  It would be a fun adventure to go digging through, say.....grateful1's stash.

Trevor, over at cubancigarwebsite has recently added the ability to document your collection and store it there.

Gern Blansten said:

Trevor, over at cubancigarwebsite has recently added the ability to document your collection and store it there.

I'm on that site all the time, and never knew anything of this.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Appreciate the comments and

theorangeman said:

Thanks, Clint  

Seriously though, are you asking solely for the purpose of keeping track of what you have at any given time or are you also wanting to record your impressions of cigars after you smoke them?  I think keeping an inventory would be very cool, but for me, more work  that what I want to invest.  The most that I do, which works for me, is tag each cigar with a date so I can keep track of it's age.  Other than that, I just look inside and find what I want and sometimes I find surprises... cigars I forgot I had (which is kind of cool). 

My thoughts were that I would track quantity, price, age, and then make comments on each one I smoked and provide some sort of ranking.  Maybe it is wishful thinking and I would be too lazy to track but the thought of knowing what is in the humi sounds intriguing.  Then again, I do like surprises as Tom mentioned.  I like Bluue13's wine app idea by taking a picture of the label.  Ok, who is looking for an investment opportunity :)

Maduro Clint said:
Appreciate the comments and

Thanks, Clint  

My thoughts were that I would track quantity, price, age, and then make comments on each one I smoked and provide some sort of ranking.  Maybe it is wishful thinking and I would be too lazy to track but the thought of knowing what is in the humi sounds intriguing.  Then again, I do like surprises as Tom mentioned.  I like Bluue13's wine app idea by taking a picture of the label.  Ok, who is looking for an investment opportunity :)

Spreadsheet app would probably be best for that.
You can get apps that can read/create/edit Microsoft spreadsheets on Android devices although it would be much easier to read on a tablet.

When I upgraded to a cabinet in 2008 I found inventory tracking was becoming a necessity... I just couldn't keep it all straight.  There were no decent programs available at the time, so I just created an excel workbook.  It's worked like a champ ever since. 

I have three primary worksheets:  "In the Humidors", "Smoked", and "Gifted/Traded" (There's also a "Deployed Humidor" worksheet that I use when I go down-range, but is inactive when I'm home).  The tracker has a few columns:  Brand/Line, Name, Vitola, Country, #, Purchase Date, Purchase Source, Notes (like Factory/Box codes, dates, takes from a pass, etc).  When I move a cigar over to the "Smoked" sheet, I add the date smoked, drink pairing, and smoking notes (which are no more than 50 characters-- it doesn't take too much).

This is just what I do... some people may find it nerdy, and I wouldn't disagree.  But it's helped me keep inventory and as an unexpected fringe benefit, it also serves as a sortable journal.  As far as work goes, I don't find it much at all-- 2 minutes max per cigar immediately after smoking.

For me, a great cigar is supposed to be a relaxing time, not a 'data entry event'.  Hey, some guys enjoy it.....I don't.

I can usually tell you 98% of what's in the cabinet.....no software required.

I don't have enough cigars yet for it to be
necessary.
Maybe in a cpuple of years.....

I keep an excel sheet updated on my iphone. Takes about twenty seconds. It means I can also select a cigar before getting out of my chair.

diapanos said:
I don't have enough cigars yet for it to be
necessary.
Maybe in a cpuple of years.....

You joined CP in August of 2014 and you already built a Wineador.   You can probably change years above to months my friend.   Hanging out here is very very bad on your wallet but good for your collection

Every time I open the aristocrat it is an adventure

I used to have an app, but ended up deleting it.
It was cool for a while, but I kept forgetting to update it and it turned into too much work and took away from my enjoyment.
I have a general idea of what I've got... that's enough.