• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Does Anyone Raclette?

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
I discovered this about 15 years ago when I worked for a German company and would periodically go to their main headquarters. The CEO & I were food & wine lovers and he took me to Switzerland for raclette & cigars. I’ve enjoyed it ever since. I love the social aspect of the meal, very cool to eat over a 2-3 hour period enjoying great conversations coupled with interesting food & wine.
Anyone else? 6ABD0931-59D6-4ECA-87AB-F631962B65A0.jpeg205683BE-C674-4131-9BA8-55238FAC8FC3.jpeg4F9DCD2E-BBED-4ACB-974C-7055C66856BF.jpeg227528A6-06B8-43FE-A8BF-9219C5A5E298.jpeg

That set up looks great Gary. We've never called it Raclette but for our Ski Apres we put together something very close with a charcuterie board and veggies, pickled and raw. Love to eat, drink and kibitz!

Oh Gary, you bring back great memories. We had our first and only Raclette in Zermatt while we waited for the Matterhorn to clear ( which in three days it never did ). What a simple but wonderful meal. Yours is much more involved ( we had potato/onion, green beans and raclette ), but that cheese is just awesome. We don’t know what we are missing on this side of the pond.

Cheers brother

Geez Gary, it's not unusual for Italians to sit down at the table at two and not get up until six.:cool: Unless you're from NJ, evidently.:D

Doc

Geez Gary, it's not unusual for Italians to sit down at the table at two and not get up until six.:cool: Unless you're from NJ, evidently.:D

Doc
You mean like when my Grandfather would doze off at the head of the table just as desert was being served...and us kids weren't allowed to leave the table until he got up! Two gallons of homemade burgundy wine they would go through during a meal....but us kids loved the peaches dipped in that wine. A different era for sure...we only come close to those marathons during our Holiday dinners these days.

You mean like when my Grandfather would doze off at the head of the table just as desert was being served...and us kids weren't allowed to leave the table until he got up! Two gallons of homemade burgundy wine they would go through during a meal....but us kids loved the peaches dipped in that wine. A different era for sure...we only come close to those marathons during our Holiday dinners these days.

Much has changed since the 1800's :p

You got burgundy wine? We got Dago red. Hopefully, it wasn't vinegar. Gramps would kind of screw up now and again.
Peaches and wine with a little sugar is a gift from the gods.
Doc

Last edited:
I thought Raclette was the cheese that is melted while on the wheel then scooped off onto your food in dramatic fashion at the table. That is the only reason I clicked into this forum.. MELTY CHEESE. Now I want cheese.

I thought Raclette was the cheese that is melted while on the wheel then scooped off onto your food in dramatic fashion at the table. That is the only reason I clicked into this forum.. MELTY CHEESE. Now I want cheese.
That is correct...the cheese on the platter that we put in the little trays under the marble top (to melt) is Raclette Swiss. This is a smaller, more communal type of meal versus the grandiose, traditional raclette cheese meal done with the half wheel of raclette cheese heated up under the lamp.

That is correct...the cheese on the platter that we put in the little trays under the marble top (to melt) is Raclette Swiss. This is a smaller, more communal type of meal versus the grandiose, traditional raclette cheese meal done with the half wheel of raclette cheese heated up under the lamp.

Sure is different, than the way we Americans eat. That looks like fun, would love to try it. I hope nobody is lactose intolerant :)

I remember some of those extended family meals growing up. When food was on the table and around the room all day long. The main table was for the adults and we sat at the kids tables. Big families so we got spread out. Good times I miss.

Raclette and Fondue, we do both, but it has been a long time since we broke out either set. Think I'll talk my wife into one or the other this coming weekend.