• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

does bloom make the cigar a better smoke?

Big Boss

I have honestly never smoked a cigar with that "bloomed". is it just hipe or does it mean its ripe? ok i know don't quit the day job I'm no poet.

Try to clean up on the grammar (i.e. punctuation and capitalization) there if you don't mind. As for your question, try putting in "bloom" on the search engine and you should get a lot of results as it has been talked about before :thumbs:

A couple things... First, and this was brought up in your intro thread, please capitalize. This isn't facebook, myspace, or AIM. We're a cigar community full of adults, and we try to make it look that way. Second - besides your intro thread, all 4 other topics you started threads about have been discussed many times here. Next time, before clicking on the "start new thread" link, try the search one.

hAy; iTHink hes graMMAR is just Fine! Lay Off!

I dont think plume in it's self makes a cigar better. It's just a result that occurs sometimes with fine ageing.

You brothers shouldn't discourage anyone from posting. You may find yourself with one or two great typers with nothing to say. :angry:

I dont think plume in it's self makes a cigar better. It's just a result that occurs sometimes with fine ageing.

You brothers shouldn't discourage anyone from posting. You may find yourself with one or two great typers with nothing to say. :angry:

Where did someone discourage anyone from posting ???

You're not in a position to be admonishing anyone here. You should lay off.

Doc.

I don't have a ton of experience in this area as I have only been lucky enough to smoke a few cigars with plume, but I think it is more the fact that the cigar has been aged properly and the plume has formed rather than the plume making the cigar good.

Big Boss, this is the 3rd and separate topic you have started where folks have asked you to capitalize. We do take it seriously. No one expects you to win a spelling bee, but for the love of pete; everyone know's they need to capitalize!

I don't have a ton of experience in this area as I have only been lucky enough to smoke a few cigars with plume, but I think it is more the fact that the cigar has been aged properly and the plume has formed rather than the plume making the cigar good.
That's been my modest experience as well. I've smoked plumed or bloomed cigars that didn't stun me.

Wilkey

Is there a minimum amount of time a cigar needs to rest in the ideal conditions for bloom to form? I would assume each cigar would be different depending on the oils present in the wrapper, but in general, are there minimum age requirements that need to be met?

Not really, Moe.

In fact, one fellow actually showed that you can manipulate temperature and humidity swings to force the appearance of plume. This suggests that not all plume is necessarily good plume (in the sense of gently kept, tenderly cared for cigars that have experienced a coddled and comfy existence).

That plume is such a rare occurrence (as opposed to, say, appearing on 90% of all cigars over the age of 5 years for example) further suggests that there are a great many factors at play. The corollary then is that the presence of plume probably has a weak correlation with quality.

I've seen boxes of 40-year old Don Candidos without a trace of plume and so if great cigars should have plume, those babies ought to be covered in the stuff.

Wilkey

Big Boss, this is the 3rd and separate topic you have started where folks have asked you to capitalize. We do take it seriously. No one expects you to win a spelling bee, but for the love of pete; everyone know's they need to capitalize!

I usually don't bother to post on things such as this, but I'm feeling a little feisty lately.

Who gives a shit if anyone posts with capitalization, proper punctuation, etc?
Last I checked this was a cigar board, not websters.

I usually don't bother to post on things such as this, but I'm feeling a little feisty lately.

:D

I love Monday mornings!

Wilkey

I think you'll find that the majority of us do. It is a cigar board, whose members are mostly well educated adults. We'd like folk's writing to reflect that. Besides, the good Sisters of Perpetual Misery would be very disappointed. By the way, Webster's is a proper possessive noun and requires capitalization and an apostrophe.

Doc.

Quite a few members of the community care, otherwise it wouldn't be stressed so much. It's the adult thing to do and presents a professional appearance for the community.

I agree with proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.

That is one of the things that brought me here. With all the Myspace, and text BS going on, the English language is slowly being destroyed.
I come here for intelligent, funny, and a kind of brotherhood that has seemed to have been lost in our modern culture.

As for PLUME I don't know, never had a cigar with it. I have a few smokes in my humi that are real special and hope to have PLUME on them someday.

I would like to expand on one of the variables that may effect whether or not a cigar will develop plume or not IMO. In my experience when a box of cigars are aged, the less times the box is opened the better chances of developing plume. In the best of conditions I've only seen maybe 20% of my cigars develop plume. Some recent sales of boxes to members here had not seen the light of day in 8 to 10 years and were just opened for the first time ever before the sale which yielded 25% with plume which I think is alot. IMO I believe when cigars are exposed to fresh oxygen it deminishes the chances of developing plume.
Not opening your cigar boxes is a tuff thing to do since we all want to make sure periodically that there are no tobacco beetles etc. As far as whether plume makes a cigar taste better, it does not IMO. It is only an indicator of proper storage.

I was going to throw a lot of metaphors at you, but I'll leave that to Wilkey. Poor grammar and lack of punctuation are disrespectful to the community, and we don't like it.