• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dogfighting is a sport

Kinda has a slight twist to it when you consider how Vick and his buddies are more "animals" than the canines they so wontonly destroy.

They pelted them with Chinese dumplings? :whistling:

Seriously though, there's little doubt in my mind...Marbury either isn't very bright or he's short on ethics...or both. If he's so eager to intercede on Vick's behalf, maybe he should be his prison pimp.

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

It's "just behind closed doors" because it highlights all the fundamental flaws in the individual participants [Vick's] character. Clearly persons who would enjoy such an endeavor are (in no particular order) inhuman, inhumane, lacking of morality, compassion, caring, respect, self-respect, dignity, propriety, stewardship, sportsmanship, and of course it's behind closed doors because it's fuggin' illegal.

I've got another sport for Marbury (and Vick)... it's called B.A.S.E. jumping and they can do it without a parachute. :thumbs:

or even better they can both jump into a Lion's den with porkchop britches on... now that would be a sight :laugh:

All I have to say is.......britches?

yeah... britches.

ah... they're both dicks... who cares what they wear. :laugh:

Sport is a word that's thrown around much too loosely nowadays. In it's truest form, dogfighting may very well be a "sport", just as bullfighting and cockfighting are sports. The problem is, that in America, the laws are written to determine that dogfighting is not a "sport". It's cruel and immoral, but that's coming from a civilized society where dogs are put on a pedestal and considered part of the family they belong to. In many countries dogs are eaten as food. If Vick was convicted of cow fighting, would there be as big of an outrage? Don't get me wrong, I think dogfighting is a horrendous crime, but I'm sure that my main reason for believing this is because I've been raised to show respect to pets and treat them as more than just animals. This is not what happens in all cultures.

have you heard what Atlanta fans are doing with their Vick jerseys? Sending them to the local Humane Society to be used to clean up doggie doo.

The title to this thread is misleading and cast aspersions as to my character! ??? I would like to point out that I, Putz Mulligan, in no way condones nor advocate any form of animal cruelty be it dog fighting or any other form of animal sport when it does not have a direct result of placing food on the table! I have never been a supporter of Vick as he was overrated from the get go. If anyone would like to consider more about the Vick family just turn to the younger brother. You can take the man out of the hood but you can’t take the hood out of the man (of course there are exceptions to this philosophy).

Vick and others amaze me with their ability to let trouble find them when they and others (teachers, coaches, etc.) have done so much to give them everything. Sad really. :(

Thank you for your time and we will now resume with our regular programming. :sign:

Sport is a word that's thrown around much too loosely nowadays. In it's truest form, dogfighting may very well be a "sport", just as bullfighting and cockfighting are sports. The problem is, that in America, the laws are written to determine that dogfighting is not a "sport". It's cruel and immoral, but that's coming from a civilized society where dogs are put on a pedestal and considered part of the family they belong to. In many countries dogs are eaten as food. If Vick was convicted of cow fighting, would there be as big of an outrage? Don't get me wrong, I think dogfighting is a horrendous crime, but I'm sure that my main reason for believing this is because I've been raised to show respect to pets and treat them as more than just animals. This is not what happens in all cultures.

I agree that there is a bit of skewing involved since we are talking about dogs and not cows, however believe you me, there would be an outcry if there were cow-fighting rings. The outcry would not be as large, but it would be present. Similar to the outcries made against cockfighting, bullfighting, even the rodeo.

Where are the athletes if that is a "sport" other than betting of course?

Where are the athletes if that is a "sport" other than betting of course?

The same place as they are at the dog track, which is legal and used to be run just as brutal as dogfighting, as to the treatment of the animals.

The Black Cloud said:
I agree that there is a bit of skewing involved since we are talking about dogs and not cows, however believe you me, there would be an outcry if there were cow-fighting rings. The outcry would not be as large, but it would be present. Similar to the outcries made against cockfighting, bullfighting, even the rodeo.

Yes, there would be and there is in the cases you mention. Fact remains that if dogs were not treated like members of a persons family, dogfighting would be dismissed by the majority of Americans. If we ate dog meat, the same would be true. The voices calling out against the rodeo are minimal and rarely raise an eyebrow in most cities.