• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

doh!

Certifried

I went to the local cigar shop for fun today, just to browse around now that I'm starting to learn the different cigars. I'm at least getting to learn the brands, but still working on the sizes, names, etc. I picked up a Padron, a Gurkha, and a Punch. Now that I have them home I realize they aren't labelled as to what they are! :( The receipt I got only has the charge amount and isn't itemized :( :(

I downloaded Cigar briefcase to start inventorying my sticks but will have to smoke these before anyone else notices I have no clue what they are! lol

I suppose I need to write down what I'm actually buying since, at the ripe young age of 35, I can't remember things for more than the 5 minute trip back home

Man I have no idea what the cigars are I smoke. I just read the bands and remember which ones I liked. I actually like the "sweet simplicity" of just enjoying a good smoke and not all the details. The only one I really want to know about are the ISOM's and thats just to say I had them.

You can narrow it down somewhat by measuring the length and just coming close to the ring guage. Compare to a place like cigars.com. This is what I have to do sometimes. Good luck!

dont worry, i'm 19 and i always forget what cigar i bought unless i was specifically looking for a certain one.

The hardest part of IDing a smoke you dont know is the brand. If it does not have a band on it your SOL. You might have a chance of telling the brand by smoking it if its unique and you have had one before.

Since you bought them at the store and probally wont take the bands off until you smoke them your halfway home. :thumbs:

#1. Measure the length. Most cigars stick to within a 1/8 of their supposed size for uniformity in a box or bundle. Length is rarely the same between types of cigars in a brand for variety to appeal to different smoker preferences.

#2. Estimate the ring gauge. Its easier to do with a reference. Some use fancy cigar ring gauges. Others compare the size to pocket change knowing a quarter is about a 52, nickel around 46, penny a 42-44, and a dime about 38. Best way is to have a cigar you already know the ring gauge of and compare em side by side.

#3. Lookup on a online listing of cigars. Most sort by brand. Personal favorite database is at top25cigar.com

Hope this helps... :)

Kryo said:
#2. Estimate the ring gauge. Its easier to do with a reference. Some use fancy cigar ring gauges. Others compare the size to pocket change knowing a quarter is about a 52, nickel around 46, penny a 42-44, and a dime about 38. Best way is to have a cigar you already know the ring gauge of and compare em side by side.
That's a good reference for checking the ring gauge.
I never realized. :)

If you have a digital camera, post a picture, perhaps we can assist you.

Either that or just go back into the shop with the sticks, and match 'em up.

Yet another way to identify them are to send them to another BOTL, like myself. We will identify them, and make sure they are good by smoking them for you. We will gladly report our findings to you and the board, so that you know if they were worth buying or not! :D

Gurkha is difficult because they use the same band for so many versions. Even looking at the wrapper may not help since so many are so close in color. Send it to me and I should be able to tell you what it is :)

LOL you guys are so helpful! I know the Gurkha was something like "His Majesty's Reserve".

OK OK, j/k. It was a Grand Reserve though, and I'm pretty sure I overpaid for it (~$14).

I smoked the Padron last night and enjoyed it alot. It took about an hour before the feeling of complete relaxation went away when I was through. It was a little harsh at first, but I remember reading how sometimes cigars mellow out after the first inch, which it did. I'll probably drop by the shop on the way home since I know the brands and will remember the ones I picked once I look at the shelves.

Would it be better to let the others sit for a few months before I smoke them? The Te-Amos I have are just incredible! I really really enjoyed smoking one. Conversely, I didn't like the La Aroma De Cuba very much at all. It was very harsh, although I passed it on to a friend after only a few puffs and picked up a Te-Amo.

A Grand Reserve with the copper colored wax on a glass tube? If so, $14 is high for one of those. If you like it and want more then here is a good place to look.

yep, that's the one. I figured I was overpaying, but didn't realize it was by that much! Of course, what can you expect from a cigar shop in a large mall? Any good shops in the baltimore area that you all recommend? I live about 10 minutes south of Balti. I usually prefer buying things online but only if I'm buying alot of items. I'd like to have a good local shop where I can just walk in on impulse at times and know I'm not gettings screwed over.

EDIT: aha! and checking out that page I found the Punch I bought. It's a Gran Puro.

Most cigars stick to within a 1/8 of their supposed size
Well except fo those fake Siglo VI's, they tend to be well over a 1/4 longer than they are supposed to be :p

thanks for the tip on davidus cigars! Someone else recommended them in a PM, so I'm as excited as a virgin prom date to go there now!

Sorry about the hijacking but where did you get this software?

EDIT**** Nevermind I just found it... sorry again guys. ;)

as far as remembering cigar details, my brain is always fuzzy. but i can recomend a freeware program called cigar trakker. it can probably be found on the net somewhere.