• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Don't pass up this CONTEST

NullSmurf

Das Bruce
Remember those essay contests from school when you were a kid? This isn't one. You're perfectly welcome to plagerize - I did. I maintain a list of what I call "Aphorisms" or the lines of code I tend to live by. Some are more suggestions than guidelines. Reading them the other day, it came to me that a few words changed here and there, and these would make sense as HERFing Aphorisms.

Here is my challenge: post your best Aphorisms.

Your reward: one 6-Pack of New Belgium Fat Tire (we're rich with it here in Colorado) If you've had some, then you know it'll be worth the brain cells to post. If you haven't, thats even better! I'd offer an exotic and sought after cigar, but I'M A FOOKING NOOBIE AND COULDN'T TELL A COHIBA FROM A WHITE OWL. Ahem... However, I found a rich guy's B&M where I'm sure they have something hidiously expensive. If you can get Fat Tire on your own, you can still post and win, but I'll drink the beer myself and send 2 hidiously expensive cigars.

Oh, there is a catch. I'm drafting a jury to judge your entries. Their decision is final, but I'm supplying the goodies. This jury is composed by those literate enough to relate, and demented enough to be entertained. They're also all over CP and I'm certain they'll read this post. :p

Draftees: AVB, KayakinBoy, Matt_R, CoventryCat, and Wurm. I've read your posts. There is something I'm supposed to learn from you, so I thought I give you some entertainment in return. You guys can enter too, so long as you can convince the others to vote for you :D

Rules:

1. Keep em short. I can't vouch for the jury's attention span.
2. If it doesn't directly relate directly to cigars, you have to change words to MAKE them relate. See example below of my favorite.
3. Credit the original author, if possible
4. The jury's decision is most likely final. I'll vote to break any ties.
5. You'll improve your chances if you tell us why this one is meaninful to you and why it applies here.
6. I'll call the jury for a vote at the end of the month, sooner on 3 days notice if the contest interest trails off. To keep things fair, there will be a PUBLIC ballot.
7. Kissing up to and bribing the jury is strictly permitted.
8. Berating other posts is recommended, so long as its done in fun and you think it might get you ahead.
9. Be sarcastic and witty. Have fun with this.
10. Only one winner. There is plenty of beer, but only so much postage!

Example #1 original text in (parentheses)

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a single-malt (champagne) in one hand, a Cuban (chocolate covered strawberries) in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO - what a ride!"

I've no idea who wrote it, but it must have been a hard driving woman. I never did like the items in the hands - felt good to change it.

As a conservative, almost libertarian, this is my #1, as is.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. C.S.Lewis

It applies here because of our politicians managing to pass smoking bans on those who do not want one in order to feel good about themselves. I'd prefer to let the market drive the smoke. I also have a daughter with multiple disabilities and hate it when the liberal social explicatives tell me that I can't parent her without their help.

Anyhow, good luck and for some, good Google surfing.

I can only read and change this so many times and I'm tired, so fuggit. I'm hitting the 'Post New Topic' button.

:: KNEW I'd have an edit. AVP=AVB :blush:

A BOTL (genius) without education is like a Siglo (silver) in the humidor (mine).

based off of an aphorism in Ben Franklin's Poor Richard's Almanac.

Great contest!!

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of cigars (fishing poles).

- Doug Larson

A cigar (bird) in the mouth (hand) is worth two the humidor (bush)

I have no idea who said this

This is going to be fun :)

So how do you want the Jury to run this? PM you what we think the best one is? And then the person who has the most votes from all the jury members wins?

"Fame is addictive. Money is addictive. Attention is addictive. But a good cigar is second to none."

Originally said by Marc Anthony about golf, another subject near and dear to my heart. It was one of the first signatures I ever used on a forum and my favorite by far. I love golf and considering that cigars are one of my new favorite things I figured it was a good change. Maybe it should read, "Fame is addictive. Money is addictive. Attention is addictive. But a day at the golf course with a good cigar is second to none." Anyway you say it though it's completely true.

If a man speaks in the woods, and there are no women around to hear him - is he still wrong?

Wurm said:
This is going to be fun :)

So how do you want the Jury to run this? PM you what we think the best one is? And then the person who has the most votes from all the jury members wins?
[snapback]284215[/snapback]​

Oh yeah, I forgot about that part. Judges, after midnight, Feb 28, send me your top 3. If that isn't conclusive, we'll have a run-off.

Very cool contest :thumbs: I dont think im smart enough to enter this one though.

NullSmurf said:
Draftees: AVP, KayakinBoy, Matt_R, CoventryCat, and Wurm. I've read your posts. There is something I'm supposed to learn from you, so I thought I give you some entertainment in return. You guys can enter too, so long as you can convince the others to vote for you :D

AVB and awesome contest!

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school."
-- Albert Einstein

thanks for the contest. :thumbs:

Qualls07 said:

[snapback]284200[/snapback]​

A cigar in the bush is worth two the mouth.

Bill Clinton

:)

gandolf565 said:
Qualls07 said:

[snapback]284200[/snapback]​

A cigar in the bush is worth two the mouth.

Bill Clinton

:)
[snapback]284347[/snapback]​

Gandolf... I believe you just defined hilarious. :laugh:

junkman_56 said:
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he has learned in school."
-- Albert Einstein

thanks for the contest. :thumbs:

from "A Night in Casablanca":
Football referee: 'What are you doing with that cigar in your mouth?'
Groucho Marx: 'Why, do you know another way to smoke it?
[snapback]284316[/snapback]​

We should include your tagline, Junk! Groucho was a walking Aphorism

NullSmurf said:
I've no idea who wrote it, but it must have been a hard driving woman. I never did like the items in the hands - felt good to change it.
[snapback]284187[/snapback]​
OT - the quote is a modified version of one of Hunter S. Thompson's quotes....and the original had nothing "in hand"..:

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
--Hunter S. Thompson

Regards - B.B.S.

Not really funny, but I like it. It applies to CP as a whole, I think, as a general philosophy.

Originally said by Ali Akbar Khan, sarode player and teacher about music:

"For us, as a group(family), a cigar (music) is like food. When you need it, you don't have to explain why, because it is basic to life."

Thanks for the contest. :)

From the mouth of a tired co-worker..."That's F**ked up like a (Fauxhiba)baseball bat!"

I don't know what it means, but it's now the official replacement of SNAFU at work.

I guess since I'm a judge, it's a good thing I looked up aphorism in the dictionary.....

It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. -A. Lincoln

Las Vegas is hot, Casa Fuente (Planet Hollywood) is hot and I wanted to be part of the newest, hottest Cigar Store (resort) in Las Vegas.”

-Paris Hilton