• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Drew Estate Undercrown and Oliva Serie G

SkyKing

thumb6.jpg

7 x 54​

Double Corona

Maduro

Drew Estate Undercrown

Since this cigar has previously been reviewed, I'll keep this one relatively brief.​

I did a lot of smoking last weekend. On Saturday, I smoked a JR Montecristo #2 Alt; a Drew Estates Undercrown and a Padron maduro Churchill. Finished on Sunday with a Partagas from the island and a Oliva Serie G.

Surprisingly, the two stand out smokes were the Undercrown and the the Oliva Serie G.

After smoking a JR Montecristo Alt (good enough to buy a bundle) and a Connie #9 (OK) at the DC JR store, I drove to Bethesda, Md for a Drew Estate event.

BOTL Cabaiguan Juan has been urging me to visit The W. Curtis Draper Tobacconist in Bethesda, Md, for months. Unlike much of the DC area, parking is plentiful. W.C. Draper is a big, friendly shop with a very comfortable lounge; lockers where regulars store their smokes and bottles of booze; a plasma TV; and plenty of tables where customers congregate for cards, dominoes, talk, and BYOB drinks.

The Undercrown and Uzi's were being featured in the main area. I like big ring sizes but the Uzis just looked over-the-top and outlandish.The "My Uzi weighs a Ton" reminded me of a retail clerk I encountered at an Apple Store. He was, short, weighed 300 pounds, had purple hair and a nose ring. I couldn't take the clerk seriously and I couldn't take the Uzi seriously. And I wasn't going to buy into either one.

The Undercrown, by comparison, was beautifully proportioned, the wrapper was flawless, oily and evenly firm, the stick adorned with an elegant blue and gold band. So, I purchased the Undercrown, in the double corona.

I took possesion of one of the easy chairs and unwrapped the stick. The cold draw was mild earth-tones. Cut and light were non-eventful. The first draw and the remaining first third was very disappointing. The smoke was plentiful enough, and creamy but without enough flavor or aroma to keep me interested. What flavor there was consisted of earth and leather with the barest hint of sweet spices. Since I'd already smoked two cigars that day, my inclination was to discount the impression and blame it on overloaded taste buds. However, others who tried the Undercrown after me, agreed that cigar was nothing special at first light, and the first third was way too mild and unchanging for their tastes.

However, things got more interesting on the second and final third. The flavor profile got sweeter and spicier the longer it was smoked, the gradient increasing right up to the last couple of inches. Hints of coco powder and roasted coffee beans dominated, with an undercurrent of smooth vanillas and earth.

"Liga Undercrown cigars are a "liga privada" created by Drew Estate's torcedors for their own personal enjoyment. Their unique Mexican Otapan Negro Último Corte wrapper harvest is delayed by over 4 weeks, resulting in a higher natural sugar content and a richer, creamier flavor. Add the Brazilian Mata Fina and Nicaraguan longfillers, T52 Connecticut stalk cut & cured Habano binder, and you've got a smoke that's lush, smooth, sweet and so marvelously complex, you'll want more." From Famous Smoke web site.

The burn was good all the way through, requiring no touch-ups - and I'm very particular about burn.
  • Oliva Serie G
  • Size:
  • 7 x 50
  • Shape:Churchill
  • Wrapper
  • Color:Maduro
  • Origin:Connecticut
  • Leaf Type:
  • Broadleaf
http://t0.gstatic.co...-A_i7tht8HySDyg

I smoked the Oliva Serie G on Sunday night and I have to say I was favorably impressed.The Serie G was a lovely box pressed smoke and I knew I was going to like it just from the cold draw. I don't have a huge pallet of tastes and I seem to repeat myself but I tasted notes of roasted nuts, coffee and bitter chocolate. Their wasn't a dramatic profile that hit me. The Serie G matured as you smoked but perhaps wasn't as complex as the Undercrown in the last third. It did have more pepper kick than the Undercrown and that wasn't a bad thing.

This story hasn't ended. I'm going to have to smoke both a couple of more times. I will say that I will likely be buying a box of the Oliva Serie G. It could easily become one of my everyday smokes and I wouldn't be ashamed to gift it to a discerning guest. The Undercrown was about $8.60 a stick while the Oliva Serie G can be had for about $5.10. I don't think the Undercrown was 50% better.

But if nothing else, I've learned that mood, environment, company and other factors affect my opinions, so I will have to go through a few more sticks before rendering my final verdict. And the final verdict can be readily determined by only one factor. Did you like em enough to put out the bucks for more. I've already purchased additional Undercrowns and expect that I will pull the trigger on a box of Serie G in the near future.

Nice reviews, good observations. Seems lately, when I'm scratching my head over what to smoke, I very often reach for an Undercrown.

I've had a couple Undercrowns and enjoyed them, but . . . I dunno what it is, but it's like the flavor profile is just missing something I look for in cigars. Spice? Coffee? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's not there. Still a nice cigar, but it'll never be a favorite.

~Boar

I've had a couple Undercrowns and enjoyed them, but . . . I dunno what it is, but it's like the flavor profile is just missing something I look for in cigars. Spice? Coffee? I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's not there. Still a nice cigar, but it'll never be a favorite.

~Boar

I hear what you are saying; I find them a nice occasional change up from the Nicaraguan spice bombs.....

YMMV, JMHO, etc....B.B.S.

I like the Undercrown maduros. Similar to LP#9.

Strange...I've heard that from others as well, but to me, they don't bear much resemblance outside of the dark wrapper and the tons of smoke they give off. Don't get me wrong...the Undercrown is a good smoke, but the LP9 is a great smoke.

~Boar

I hear you on that. It was a good smoke for me as well, but missing a lot of character. Just kind of bland. IMO of course.

BTW, nice review Steve.

~Boar

I hear you on that. It was a good smoke for me as well, but missing a lot of character. Just kind of bland. IMO of course.

BTW, nice review Steve.

I'm on the same boat as well. I'm curious what you guys think of the LP lines.

I like the Undercrown maduros. Similar to LP#9.

That's possibly why I'm not as thrilled by the #9 as the Unico or T52 lines.

Interesting remarks and thoughts. Have you fellas tried the new UNDECROWN "Corona Viva" ??

Best,
JD

Interesting remarks and thoughts. Have you fellas tried the new UNDECROWN "Corona Viva" ??

Best,
JD

Thanks for your interest. I haven't tried the "Corona Viva". Curiously, I don't believe it was offered at the Undercrown event I attended at W.C. Drapers.

This story hasn't ended. I'm going to have to smoke both a couple of more times. But if nothing else, I've learned that mood, environment, company and other factors affect my opinions, so will have to go through a few more before rendering my final verdict.

Update on the Undercrown

As I mentioned in the original post, I was on a cigar jag and the Undercrown was the third stick I'd smoked that Saturday. I'v since smoked a couple more of the Undercrowns at home. With a fresh pallet, I was more able to appreciate the subtle blend and spices very present on the first third of the stick.

If you read music, or just appreciate music, I would describe the Undercrown flavor profile as one, very long crescendo, starting with subtle, muted notes of creamy, spiced sweet meats, punctuated with specks of black peppers; the leather, wood and pepper flavors increasing incrementally to a delicious, strong, complex finish.

For those smokers addicted to full-bodied pepper-bombs, the delicate, variegated and understated blend of the Undercrown may present a too tame profile. For me, after smoking several, I must say the sophisticated, Undercrown is a welcome alternative to the strong, pungent, redolent smokes I normally enjoy. Thank God, most propositions in life aren't truly either/or choices. I'll be adding the Undercrown Double Corona to my rotation.

I personally love the Undercrown. The "crescendo" comment is quite apt. There is definately a building in intensity of taste as you slowly work your way through the stick. The burn is slow and smooth with lots of thick velvet smoke. I find myself adding more of them nearly every time I have the chance. Now I'm going to be looking around to find a Corona Viva to try.

I purchased a box of the Undercrowns Toro's for the golf course. They are a great smoke - last around 11 holes or so. Stick never had to be relit. :thumbs:

I purchased a box of the Undercrowns Toro's for the golf course. They are a great smoke - last around 11 holes of so. Stick never had to be relit. :thumbs:

This!!! Its a great golf cigar, and one of my favorites to share with people because its just a nice smoke.

Jonathan Drew said:

Best,
JD

As I was reading through this I was just thinking that JD as when I got the Corona Vivas! from you my Undercrown experience did a complete 180 turn around to where the Undercrown Corona Viva! is my almost daily smoker either on the way home from the office or starting out a Sunday morning!

IMHO I'd rather reach for a Undercrown CV than a No.9 any day with the exception of the No.9 pig as I'm so LP 9 burnt out after 4 + years of them.

And YMMV but I found these smoked best at what I consider a higher RH of about 70% to 72% where as 90% of everything else I have is more in the 65% to 65% range. You can get em under $100 for a box of 24 at certain places during certain times of the year. How can you go wrong?

I like the UnderCrown Corona Viva! so much that I use an image of the label for my CP avatar. Partially because Suzie is already taken.