• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

dried out cigars in 68% RH?

bluue13

So today after work since it was a balmy 45 degrees out I figured I would enjoy one of my Graycliff Profesionale PG's. My humidor holds at a range of 68-70% RH and I've had the Graycliff's in there since I bought them.

My issue is... When I went to punch the cap it completely split the wrapper all the way around the cap and down some of the length of the cigar. I figured maybe my punch was a little dull and I'd go for the smoke anyway. As I began to smoke it was very bitter and acrid which if I'm correct is a sign of a dried out cigar. I tried to keep going but it just wasn't enjoyable.
I went back inside and grabbed another and figured I'd try again. This time it punched well but again, acrid and bitter. I gave it a light squeeze right after I had lit it and the wrapper split in the middle.

Every other cigar I've had from my humi has been delicious and hasnt shown signs of being dry. Could it be just that these particular sticks are just inferior quality? I did get them on a deal from CI and I know that some on here have expressed concern with the quality of the sticks they get from CI. Or is it possible that I'm having other issues with my humi?

I have calibrated my hygrometer. Its digital and brand new so I dont think there are battery issues.

Thanks for any insight!
-Greg

edit: I prob should have posted this in the humidor forum. Please accept my aplogies

How long have you had them? If you've just received them from CI, they may need some time to adjust to the correct humidity in your humidor. Usually a week or two will do the trick to bring them up to speed.

Ive had them in there for about 4 months. I did have one a few months ago and it was fine. Not sure whats going on...

I bought some Pepin Blue labels on special from CI not too long ago. More than half had the issue you speak of.

Doc.

Raise your humidity. Alot of folks say to have your humidity between 65-70, also stating 75 is a little high. Based on the dryness out here, I have to keep my humidity at 74-75. If I let it go to 70 percent, all of my stock gets too dry, so I recharge everything when it gets down to 72.

Raise your humidity. Alot of folks say to have your humidity between 65-70, also stating 75 is a little high. Based on the dryness out here, I have to keep my humidity at 74-75. If I let it go to 70 percent, all of my stock gets too dry, so I recharge everything when it gets down to 72.
It's crazy what a 40 mile difference can do to our respective RH in our area Jon. Being 5 min. from the coast, anything over 68 seems to moist with damn near no draw.

Yo, Sherlock, there ain't nothing wrong with his other cigars.

Doc.

Doc.

I was trying to give Cbid the benefit of a doubt, but you know how distracted I-- Oh look a butterfly!!

Doc.

I was trying to give Cbid the benefit of a doubt, but you know how distracted I-- Oh look a butterfly!!

I wasn't the butterfly... It was the bottles of great brew you were partaking in I am sure.... Sounds like you have some good things brewing over your way :)

Doc.

I wasn't the butterfly... It was the bottles of great brew you were partaking in I am sure.... Sounds like you have some good things brewing over your way :)

That's actually probably very true Nick. That's what I get for posting in between santitizing my buckets, and crimping bottlecaps.

Hmm I may need to look into brewing... I have a great basement for it and for wine.....

I bought some Pepin Blue labels on special from CI not too long ago. More than half had the issue you speak of.

Doc.

Hmm, interestingly enough, I smoked a Pepin Blue from a sampler I got off CBid yesterday. The wrapper split badly as if it was dry and I barely got any taste out of it.

Hmm interesting. I'm getting the sense that its nothing to do with my humi. Guess I will hope for better sticks next order...

OK so interesting development.

I tend to dwell on things so I am still wondering what is going on with my humi situation as I'm sure you can all understand. So I was wondering if the fact that my hygro is right next to my humidifier was perhaps giving me a false reading. I have my humidifier, hygro and maduro sticks all on the left side of my humi with my divider making it a somewhat small section. all of my other sticks are on the right side of the divider (including the cigars in question). SO! I took my hygro and placed it on the right hand side of my humi and left it overnight. When I checked this AM the reading on that side was 64%! As I stated before, when it was in its original spot it was reading between 68-70%.

Is it really possible for there to be this much of a variance from one side to the other in a 50 capacity humidor??

I know that I should get the heartfelt beads and its in the plans...

Any ideas?

Thanks again, everyone!
-Greg

OK so interesting development.

I tend to dwell on things so I am still wondering what is going on with my humi situation as I'm sure you can all understand. So I was wondering if the fact that my hygro is right next to my humidifier was perhaps giving me a false reading. I have my humidifier, hygro and maduro sticks all on the left side of my humi with my divider making it a somewhat small section. all of my other sticks are on the right side of the divider (including the cigars in question). SO! I took my hygro and placed it on the right hand side of my humi and left it overnight. When I checked this AM the reading on that side was 64%! As I stated before, when it was in its original spot it was reading between 68-70%.

Is it really possible for there to be this much of a variance from one side to the other in a 50 capacity humidor??

I know that I should get the heartfelt beads and its in the plans...

Any ideas?

Thanks again, everyone!
-Greg

It was most likely your sticks from CI, 65% shouldn't have a problems. I also wonder if it was the cold weather, if it is too cold out your sticks will crack.

I have some problems with my cigars getting a bit dry but I think it is because of the humidity in Colorado... or I should say the lack of humidity. I find my self filling the humidifiers about every 4 days and they are beads! In 4 days they are white.

I stopped ordering from CI when their "deals" seemed to always be dried out old sticks. Buying regular stock seemed to be okay, but I found better places to buy and not worry about "deals" all the time.

If it's a good cigar, but just a thin wrapper or dry conditions outside, you can get the wrapper wet to prevent cracking. Roll it in a damp paper towel or even run under a light stream of water. Been discussed on here several times, so search for details.

John

I stopped ordering from CI when their "deals" seemed to always be dried out old sticks. Buying regular stock seemed to be okay, but I found better places to buy and not worry about "deals" all the time.

If it's a good cigar, but just a thin wrapper or dry conditions outside, you can get the wrapper wet to prevent cracking. Roll it in a damp paper towel or even run under a light stream of water. Been discussed on here several times, so search for details.

John

John,

I'm beginning to see that pattern with the "deals" as many others have mentioned the same. I have ordered from a few other places and haven't had any problems so perhaps I'll stop looking for the deals! I have heard of wetting the wrapper too, I just didn't think of it at the time I guess. Maybe because compared to the normal 20, 45 degrees seemed like a heatwave! I was just excited to get out there and smoke.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions!

Agreed. I gave up on Cbid/CI. I got several shipments that just weren't too great.