• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dropkick Murphys

These guys rock! I went to see them a couple weeks ago at First Avenue in Minneapolis. It was a fantastic show. They played their ballad version of Fields of Athenry , as a very moving tribute to Sgt. Andrew Farrar Jr of MA who died in Iraq(check out the link for the whole story).

coventrycat86 said:
I'm going to a concert tonight to see these guys. They are considered a "alternative pop rock" or "punk revival" and for a change I will not be one of the YOUNGER people at this show as most of the concerts I've been attending lately (Judas Priest, Kiss, Cheap Trick, etc.) have fans in atendance that are my age (44) or older. :0
[snapback]253358[/snapback]​

I was surprised to see quite a few people there our age. As a matter of fact the lead singer of one of the other bands that played with them (Gangreen)announced that he would be turning 40 in a week.

Just FYI, for anyone interested, right now all merchandise on the DKM web site is 1/2 off their already very reasonable prices.

Sh*t, Gang Green is still around??? I feel real old right now....... but, then I go online and look at what Ian MacKaye looks like and feel a bit younger... LOL!

Damn, Ian MacKaye. There's a name I haven't heard in a while. Saw Fugazi maybe 7 years ago...before that, damn, haven't seen him since the Minor Threat days.

Been a fan since about '98.

I've seen them about 5-6 times.

I really don't see any similarities between them and the Misfits, other than both bands' first lead singers' were better than their current lead singers. I like Mike's vocals a bit better than Al's, and I can barely listen to Ken singing...he's horrid. Unfortunately, it seems that Ken's been singing more and more lately...

I was planning on going to see them this past Sunday, but the people who were supposed to go with me cancelled. I would've gone alone, but they weren't playing a bar/club, they were playing the same place the local symphony plays...ick..

Never been a fan of Flogging Molly.

Huge fan of the Pogues/Shane Macgowan.

As a kid who lived in Ilinois and wanted to be in sunny California, I listened to a lot more west coast hardcore, but I got to see more east coast bands come around. So, to hear some of these east side band's names again is pretty cool. I saw a bunch of the DC bands all at once in the mid-late 80's, probably around '86. Bad Brains, Beefeater, Minor Threat, The Meatmen..... a couple of others too, I think. Oh the memories... LOL! We had quite a few good ones back around home though too. The Chicago scene was pretty cool, but a little bit artsy compared to the coasts.

I like older punk groups like the Ramones and the Clash (the classics).
Dropkick Murphy sound interesting, can anyone recommend one of their albums to me.

Gobba gobba hey

Matt R said:
As a kid who lived in Ilinois and wanted to be in sunny California, I listened to a lot more west coast hardcore, but I got to see more east coast bands come around. So, to hear some of these east side band's names again is pretty cool. I saw a bunch of the DC bands all at once in the mid-late 80's, probably around '86. Bad Brains, Beefeater, Minor Threat, The Meatmen..... a couple of others too, I think. Oh the memories... LOL! We had quite a few good ones back around home though too. The Chicago scene was pretty cool, but a little bit artsy compared to the coasts.
[snapback]253507[/snapback]​

Talk about memories. I grew up with the West Coast hardcore scene myself. DI, Adolescents, Descendents, DK (can't help but be at least amused by Jello, but DK always rocked), Black Flag (even though ol' Hank was a DC boy), Wasted Youth, Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Vandals, Suicidal Tendencies, and Social D, Social D, Social D, Agent Orange, etc, etc, etc, etc. Also grew up with healthy doses of DRI, TSOL, DOA, Dag Nasty, Misfits, Minor Threat and Fugazi and used to respect Fugazi much, much more (seen them sooooo many times)...then I discovered they were secretly a rip off of Gang of Four. But, I still dig 'em all the same.

God I still love it. :thumbs:

Matt R said:
[snapback]253507[/snapback]​

And yeah...Chicago....though I never woulda pegged Big Black as "artsy." :laugh: Steve Albini rules.

MiamiCubano said:
Talk about memories. I grew up with the West Coast hardcore scene myself. DI, Adolescents, Descendents, DK (can't help but be at least amused by Jello, but DK always rocked), Black Flag (even though ol' Hank was a DC boy), Wasted Youth, Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Vandals, Suicidal Tendencies, and Social D, Social D, Social D, Agent Orange, etc, etc, etc, etc. Also grew up with healthy doses of DRI, TSOL, DOA, Dag Nasty, Misfits, Minor Threat and Fugazi and used to respect Fugazi much, much more (seen them sooooo many times)...then I discovered they were secretly a rip off of Gang of Four. But, I still dig 'em all the same.

God I still love it. :thumbs:
[snapback]253515[/snapback]​

The weird thing about all those bands is that they are still around in some form or another or have at least one member who stayed in music. Hell, Bad Religion has had almost one member of all those bands in their group at one time or another. LOL! The Descendents are my all-time favorite "punk" group and always will be. I've seen them every chance I've ever had and even got on stage and sang with Milo a few times. In high school and college we had a band and played with a few of the groups you named too. The most fun was probably The Crucifux (they were a WI band that was on Alternative Tentacles), though the singer really freaked me out. 7 Seconds was pretty cool to hang out with too. The guys in D.O.A. had to be about the coolest Candians I've ever met. LOL!

Ever hear of NiL8?

celt said:
Do or Die (with the original singer) mp3s
The Gang's All Here mp3s
Sing Loud, Sing Proud mp3s
[snapback]253514[/snapback]​
Thanks, it sounds pretty good.
Any particular album you would recommend?

junkman_56 said:
celt said:
Do or Die (with the original singer)              mp3s
The Gang's All Here           mp3s       
Sing Loud, Sing Proud           mp3s
[snapback]253514[/snapback]​
Thanks, it sounds pretty good.
[snapback]253523[/snapback]​

Man, any of their lp's are good. Do or Die with Mike is my favorite, but you can't go wrong with any you find. The brand-spankin' new one (warrior's code) is pretty fine too.

Edited to add...

Do or Die (with Mike, the first singer, now in Street Dogs) that is...

Matt R said:
MiamiCubano said:
Talk about memories. I grew up with the West Coast hardcore scene myself. DI, Adolescents, Descendents, DK (can't help but be at least amused by Jello, but DK always rocked), Black Flag (even though ol' Hank was a DC boy), Wasted Youth, Circle Jerks, 7 Seconds, Vandals, Suicidal Tendencies, and Social D, Social D, Social D, Agent Orange, etc, etc, etc, etc.  Also grew up with healthy doses of DRI, TSOL, DOA, Dag Nasty, Misfits, Minor Threat and Fugazi and used to respect Fugazi much, much more (seen them sooooo many times)...then I discovered they were secretly a rip off of Gang of Four.  But, I still dig 'em all the same.

God I still love it.  :thumbs:
[snapback]253515[/snapback]​

The weird thing about all those bands is that they are still around in some form or another or have at least one member who stayed in music. Hell, Bad Religion has had almost one member of all those bands in their group at one time or another. LOL! The Descendents are my all-time favorite "punk" group and always will be. I've seen them every chance I've ever had and even got on stage and sang with Milo a few times. In high school and college we had a band and played with a few of the groups you named too. The most fun was probably The Crucifux (they were a WI band that was on Alternative Tentacles), though the singer really freaked me out. 7 Seconds was pretty cool to hang out with too. The guys in D.O.A. had to be about the coolest Candians I've ever met. LOL!

Ever hear of NiL8?
[snapback]253520[/snapback]​

Can't count the number of times I played Milo Goes to College on lp...over and over and over again. Then, ALL, which kind of formed in the fallout of the Descendents were pretty damn good too. SST is such an awesome little label. You can pick up the phone and talk to anyone over there. Greg Ginn is simply a cool guy, and Dez Cadena...to know you can pick up the phone and be in touch with that much history...amazing. God I miss California, as much as I love it here in Miami.

MiamiCubano said:
And yeah...Chicago....though I never woulda pegged Big Black as "artsy." :laugh: Steve Albini rules.
[snapback]253516[/snapback]​

Steve Albini was a big-time "arteest". LOL! As far as Chicago, Naked Raygun was one of the better groups to come out of that time period. There were some other suburban bands like Denied Remarks, Rights of the Accused and Negative Element.

Matt R said:
MiamiCubano said:
And yeah...Chicago....though I never woulda pegged Big Black as "artsy."  :laugh: Steve Albini rules.
[snapback]253516[/snapback]​

Steve Albini was a big-time "arteest". LOL! As far as Chicago, Naked Raygun was one of the better groups to come out of that time period. There were some other suburban bands like Denied Remarks, Rights of the Accused and Negative Element.
[snapback]253526[/snapback]​

Yeah, I guess he was...somewhat. Probably had to have been there to have understood. Out in Cali, I just saw BB, Rapeman, Shellac as a means to an end...mainly a release of my hostilities. :laugh:

junkman_56 said:
[snapback]253523[/snapback]​

Actually, that was my recommendation. :laugh:

Those three albums are my favorites, and I put them in order of which I like best.

Listen to the mp3s from the first two albums that I listed, and buy the one that you think has better vocals. (some people like the new singer better)

WOW! :0 Thanks everyone for all the great information and stories :thumbs:

No, the show is TONIGHT, Tuesday evening November 22nd so I have not gone yet. :p

Many of you have brought up names of groups that my friend Hugh (the punk rock fan) has told me about, Fugazi, the Descendants, etc. He personally knows the guys in "All" which I think has or was some members of the Descendants. I have a couple of "All" cd's. They do a kick ass version of "Hot Rod Lincoln" The All band members used stay at Hugh's house when they were on the road between gigs. I don't think they're together anymore because the main guy in the band has a "real" job now. :laugh:

So lift off for the show is in about an hour. :thumbs:

I'll check back after the show.

if you like Big Black you should listen to Helmet...and Suicide...and Televsion

Enjoy the show CC. I know you will.

And you're right about ALL, they do an incredible version of "Hot Rod Lincoln," though, in California, they got a lot of airplay on college radio for a song of theirs called "She's Just My Ex." A couple of minutes of absolute pop-punk, angst-ridden perfection if ever there was. All is sort of, kind of around, but Milo came back from college and The Descendents have been putting out new albums.