• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dry Boxing

This is one of the best threads ever.

I had some problems with various boxes that I had aged with the cellophane on the boxes.

They were not smokeable.

Then folks in the forum suggested dry boxing.

I salvaged several boxes that are smoking wonderfully now by dry boxing them

I agree with CigSid and the rest of the posters and I'd like to add an observation that may or may not be accurate: I find that even in the main 67%-70% humidor that taking a cigar that has over 10 years of age seems to be OK to smoke without the dry boxing.

Has anyone noticed this? Maybe it's because over so much time the tobacco has shrunk maybe 2%-5% making better airflow or a looser draw or something that helps them smoke better without having to be stepped down in humidity for a week?

Or maybe it's just been coincidental for me.

Either way I know for a fact that a box of tightly rolled cigars after about 8-10+ years the draw seems to get more "normal". There must be some ever so slight tobacco shrinkage going on.

I know this thread has been goung for awhile. I am new to the while concept of dry boxing. And am going to give it a try due to some recent issues with a few sticks.

Can I dry box with a tuppedor that has a 62% boveda or would it be better to use an empty cigar box with the boveda in it?

I know this thread has been goung for awhile. I am new to the while concept of dry boxing. And am going to give it a try due to some recent issues with a few sticks.

Can I dry box with a tuppedor that has a 62% boveda or would it be better to use an empty cigar box with the boveda in it?
Either way will work. Looking forward to seeing the results.

No, not if it’s 60 to 62 percent inside the container.

No, not if it’s 60 to 62 percent inside the container.
@CigSid I know you like Heartfelt beads and since Boveda goes from 62% then down to 58% do you know of any other good beads since it seems like heartfelt does not do 60% beads anymore

@CigSid I know you like Heartfelt beads and since Boveda goes from 62% then down to 58% do you know of any other good beads since it seems like heartfelt does not do 60% beads anymore
Not Bill, but I use these in my dry box. They work great.

Not Bill, but I use these in my dry box. They work great.

@smellysell use a tube or do you get loose beads like Bill shows in the original post

Last edited:
I use a Tupperware in my dry box and a tube with my "medicinal herbs". Both work great.
I use a small tube from there in my dry box -- either will get the job done for you, but the tube will probably take up less real estate. I recharge all of my beads in various storage areas about once a month, or so, as needed (more white than clear beads, or I notice a fluctuation in humidity beginning).

I know nothing of medicinal herbs. Maybe I should visit Amsterdam more...?

I use a small tube from there in my dry box -- either will get the job done for you, but the tube will probably take up less real estate. I recharge all of my beads in various storage areas about once a month, or so, as needed (more white than clear beads, or I notice a fluctuation in humidity beginning).

I know nothing of medicinal herbs. Maybe I should visit Amsterdam more...?
I'd recommend it.