• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Dryed Cigars

kyanmyson

King of the ring
Good Evening All,

I hope all is well with all. I have a quick question? I join this forum around this time
last year after turning my affair with Cigars into a full time relationship. I started with a 50 count
Humidor but upgraded quickly. I now have a 150 count Humidor.  I started with distilled water
and a humidifier but after much research and advice from great members here I went with the 69 RH
Boveda  packs. Through out the summer everything went well. I remove all my cigars from the wrapping
hoping it would help with the aging process.  I recently started to notice my sticks getting hard at the lower portion of my humidor. I keep my hygrometer on the top shelve. My question is in a 150 count humidor, could the lower portion of my humidor keep a different RH then my top shelve? My digital hygrometer kept a RH of 64%. Second question is what can I do to fix my sticks?

Thanks in advance.

Well heck, I might as well jump in here. You don't say how many sticks you have in the humi. You didn't say if you preconditioned the humi before you began.

That being said, Boveda recommends one humi pack per 25 cigars. You are not going to hurt anything if you put in a total of six Boveda packs. They give and take the humidity as needed and as pointed out by brother B.B.S., you can recharge the Boveda packs.

I should also add that you can stand these packs on their sides, they do not have to be laying down, but I would suggest putting some on the top and some on the bottom.

Hope this helps some.

How many Boveda packs are you putting in the humidor? With a150 ct I would put a minimum of 4 in there but ideally 5. It doesn't hurt to kinda rotate the cigars once in a while as well. 

Where are you keeping the humidor? Try to keep it away from the sun, radiators or extreme heat especially during the winter. 

A few more things: Is your hygrometer properly calibrated? You say it's reading 64 but those can be off by a few points and your humidity could even be as low as 61. I would definitely start by calibrating the hygrometer first.

I'm assuming that you have a desktop humi and your levels from top to bottom shouldn't be that way off as you would find with a bigger cabinet humidor.

ETA: Spelling

Thanks for the responses . I have approximately around 75 cigars or so. I did all the seasoning and calibration of hygrometer once I got my humidor. I keep my humidor in my closest way in the back because my house is to hot.

Assuming your hygrometer is properly set, I don't think you will get much variance in a standard 150 count humidor.  If you are really worried you can rotate them periodically.