• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

DSLR camera question

sned45

I'm looking at upgrading my point and shoot to my first DSLR. Currently thinking about the Canon XSi 12.2 MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens from Amazon.com. What do you guys think about the lens that comes in this kit?

Camera link.

Most pictures I take are of people, landscapes & buildings while on vacations. Just your typical vacation pictures.

For the further away subjects what zoom lens would you recommend for the first time DSLR buyer?

I also shoot Nikon.

This is a great camera though and I would think you would be more then happy with that lens, especially after a point and shoot.

If you want range you may find a good lens that is 70-300.

One, if a few, advantages Nikon has over other SLR's is that you can use old Nikon lens' with the new bodies. Last I heard Cannon was not able to offer this.

The D90 that was mentioned is a great camera. But, when you get into stuff that has that many pixels and that hot a lens you may ask yourself if your photos are for art and/or putting on the side of a building, or is it for family and friend stuff. If the later, the D90 may be too much camera IMOP.

Have fun, post lots of pics :thumbs:

The XSi is a great starter DSLR. We would be able to give you better advice if you let us know how you will be using it.
From what I can remember the Rebel and XSi can use the "older" lenses that the 35mm versions did. Don't quote me though. Check this site out it has great info.

Coming from someone who has been in the business for a while. All base line SLR cameras are going to change to often. In the long run, go with canon. I'd start with no less then a 30D. You can get a used one pretty cheap. Your quality is in the glass. There are many different lenses that canon offers. I go with the L class, but it's pricey. You get what you pay for, don't let anyone tell you different.

Now also keep in mind about a cropped sensors.
http://digital-photography-school.com/crop-factor-explained

Going with a full frame camera is expensive, but worth it. Let me ask this, what are you looking to spend. Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Why make a few little investments? Why not make one large investment and not worry about it? It is sometimes cheaper in the long run. Also, when you buy better lenses, you will ALWAYS have resale value.

-Gianni-

I love my Pentax!
3209548606_3c0e25d705.jpg

2414061267_766b0a3776.jpg

2442719440_99f795c5de.jpg

Let me ask this, what are you looking to spend.
-Gianni-

Looking to spend 700 - 800 for body and one lens to get me going.

For the extra zoom lens I'm looking at the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom or the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. The Canon EF 70-200 f/4L has some nice reviews but doesn't have the IS like the 70-300 USM lens does.

I might bit the bullet and buy the EF 70-200 f/4 L IS but at 1100 it's not cheap.

Canon or Nikon great debate...kinda like Ford and Chevy....its personal preference pick one and stay with it...lenses get expensive and you don't want to be switching back and forth between the two. I am personally a Canon man. Canon cameras are lighter than Nikon's and aren't as bulky. But like I said personal preference. I also second GDeAngelo's post. POTN is a great forum. Well thats my .02

I use the XSi and love it! All my cigar shots are taken with it (along with a few others). For me, I've been self teaching various settings, lens and filters and this has been a great camera for it. I'd recommend getting a HCSD card which will allow for faster shots. I got a 4GB (can have about 700-800 pictures on it).

maximus1.jpg

esencia4.jpg

3233758613_27054e71d9.jpg

3233758765_4138ff1171.jpg

3166852264_29e50c868b.jpg

3156975530_66902cf2ee.jpg

Nice pictures. I've decided on a Canon 40D body now I need to deiced on my first lens.

Go onto the forums at photography-on-the.net there's more information on there than you'll know what to do with.

The 40D is a great choice. Id recommend the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM if you can afford it and are planning on sticking with the non full frame bodies. It may seem overkill but like mentioned above, its all in the glass. This lens is basically an L series without the red ring.

I just noticed your budget. Oh well, keep it in mind.

May I make a suggestion....get an all in one camera with a nice zoom...canon makes 'em and so does nikon. The reason I say this is, you are investing in a system, not a camera. I have owned film slr's, several digital slr's, THOUSAND's of dollars in lenses, if you are looking for just taking snap shots here and there, and get a little creative and learn photography, get an all in one camera. Remeber, you can have a 500 megapixel camera, but if you do not know basics, all your shots will looks like snapshots, not photographs. A good photographer can use any camera and shoot a winner.
There was a point where I got sick of carrying around 30lbs of gear to catch the shot, especially on vacations and what not. Take it from me, lugging all that gear around is a pain in the butt, and makes a vacation work, so I grabbed an all in one just for travel. I would first jump to an all in one "pro-sumer" type camera (lens and all are in one package, usually a super zoom camera). These camera's still allow you creativity (aperture and shutter and manual settings) but free you from changing lenses (which you will do, because no one lens works in all situations) sensor cleaning (which is required when dust settles on the sensor) and spending a ton of cash on lenses and flashes. I take pics, and earn some income from this, selling to stock agencies, this is where DSLR's and pro quality glass are required. My last lens investment was $1700.00, just for one lens.
Just a little advice from someone who has been there and done that,
Rob