• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ebay winning

AVB

Jesus of Cool, I'm bad, I'm nationwide
So much high end bourbon is export only. This one is only for Japan. Made by Heaven Hill and sold under the Martin Mills brand, price is about $100 there and alot more to get into the states. One of the oldest bourbons you can find at 24 years old it will be interesting to see how it compares to the export only Evan Williams 23 (which is DAMN good!). I know of two other 24 year old bourbons and three 25 year olds that are available and somewhere there is a 28 year old bottled in 1999.

Martin%20Mills%2024_2.jpeg

I won it last night, just dropped the check in the mail today.

The first thing is to find out if it is a Japan ONLY release or a something that was also released in Japan. In the case of the 3 you posted they are available other places but without the Japanese writing. If your goal is to collect bottles then the Japanese version could be important. If you want to drink the whiskey then where it comes from isn't too important.

I google and dogpile the crap out of the item I'm interested in. 10, 15 sometimes 20 pages deep. Look at completed sales on ebay to see if any were sold and at what price. This Martin Mills was up for auction at $275 around Christmas and it went for considerably less when I bought it. Research is the key.

Is stuff like where it was released covered in the Whiskey Bible?

Not in the version I have (2001?), I haven't looked at the newer ones to say if that has changed.

I've got a question. The French wines we get here are typically considered inferior to what is kept for local consumption in France. Many of the best California wines never leave the state. I would assume the same is true of single malts from Scotland, though I don't know this. So, why are many of the highest end and finest bourbons made only for export? Why is the "good stuff" not sold in the US? Just curious.

I can't speak at all about wine and it is only partially true for scotch. However, in the case of bourbon the market is much better in Japan for ultra quality bourbons then it is here. Distribution is much easier and the available quantity matches the demand more closely then here.

The US is slowly waking up to what the high-end of bourbon has to offer but we are well behind the Japanese in appreciating it. JMO.

AVB said:
I can't speak at all about wine and it is only partially true for scotch. However, in the case of bourbon the market is much better in Japan for ultra quality bourbons then it is here. Distribution is much easier and the available quantity matches the demand more closely then here.

The US is slowly waking up to what the high-end of bourbon has to offer but we are well behind the Japanese in appreciating it. JMO.
[snapback]184023[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info. About what I thought, but good to confirm.

cigardawg said:
I've got a question. The French wines we get here are typically considered inferior to what is kept for local consumption in France. Many of the best California wines never leave the state. I would assume the same is true of single malts from Scotland, though I don't know this. So, why are many of the highest end and finest bourbons made only for export? Why is the "good stuff" not sold in the US? Just curious.
[snapback]184021[/snapback]​

Yeah, but I hear that those fine Virginia wines are readily available throughout the world ;)

That is very interesting about the bourbons. So would contacts in Japan help to secure the ultra rare bourbons or is it not even worth the effort to try and locate some of these.

:cool:

I haven't found a single store in Japan that will ship out of the country so you have to find an individual to do it for you. First they have to buy it and then repack it to be shipped to you. It gets expensive. I know where to get almost everything I would want, it's just a matter of cash and contacts.

NorCalCigarLover said:
That is very interesting about the bourbons. So would contacts in Japan help to secure the ultra rare bourbons or is it not even worth the effort to try and locate some of these.

:cool:
[snapback]184102[/snapback]​