• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Effect of long-term non-humidor storage

highdudgeon

Hi,

I recently moved back to the US with my largish cigar collection. I was able to get to about half of it, which had been in shipping boxes for a month, and put them into two coolidors with beads. All's well. The others, though, were inaccessible in a wrapped pallet in another city for almost six months. The upside: this is in the pacific northwest, for winter and spring, and it is always humid here. Also, the temperature in the warehouse was usually around 65 degrees.

I finally got to my cigars yesterday and some looked like the wrappers were a bit wrinkled. Others looked fine. Anyway, more beads, two new properly cleaned and dried coolidors.

My question: what is the likelihood of major damage to my collection from this storage? Also, how long should I keep them sealed in the coolers before breaking them out?

Thanks!

Long time no see brother! :)

Did you have a hygro and humidification such as beads when you stored them for the long haul?
What was the storage method (Coolidor, or wood humidor) for the cigars in question?
If you did have hygro's with the cigars in storage, what was the readings when you first opened them up?

If the cigars had humidification in their shipment modules, they will likely be ok. Check them for mold/dried out wrappers. I'd leave them in with the beads for about a month or so before trying them out. Just make sure your beads are working well with a salt tested hygrometer.

ETA:

<<<Day late and a dollar short.

I'm in a similar situation. I recently found a humidor full of some great cigars that were probably sitting in storage for a year+. They were all pretty much dry as a bone. Some in cellophane, some in tubes and some just out in the open. The ones that were out in the open didn't fare as well, the wrappers were cracked on most of them. The others, although really dry and hard, were still intact. I was wondering if it was possible to revive these at all?

I'm in a similar situation. I recently found a humidor full of some great cigars that were probably sitting in storage for a year+. They were all pretty much dry as a bone. Some in cellophane, some in tubes and some just out in the open. The ones that were out in the open didn't fare as well, the wrappers were cracked on most of them. The others, although really dry and hard, were still intact. I was wondering if it was possible to revive these at all?

A year plus without proper humidification is bad news. Sure you can revive them, but don't be surprised if they taste like a used pair of granny panties found in a Nursing Home. Now the tubed cigars maybe decent. I had one that sat in a box at my mom's house for like 3 years. It was a great cigar. Luckily the basement was always below 70 degrees and was pretty humid.

A year plus without proper humidification is bad news. Sure you can revive them, but don't be surprised if they taste like a used pair of granny panties found in a Nursing Home. Now the tubed cigars maybe decent. I had one that sat in a box at my mom's house for like 3 years. It was a great cigar. Luckily the basement was always below 70 degrees and was pretty humid.

I just spit Carne Asada all over the living room, Loren I need warning next time. That was just simply raunchy.

Once the oils dry out cigars are tasteless.Dry cigars cannot be revived.Friend of mine had little collection of maybe 50 sticks and "forgot" to water them and they were gone after 3 months,completely dry.Never got the taste they used to have.About storing cigars tightly with no fresh air.This is always creating a problem,that's why with should remember to open humidors at least once a week to let fresh air circulate for a minute or so.Also rotating cigars in the humi is very important to always make sure all sticks get good humidification.

remember to open humidors at least once a week to let fresh air circulate for a minute or so.Also rotating cigars in the humi is very important to always make sure all sticks get good humidification.

I was not aware of this thank you for the information! I'm typically smoking at least once a week, maybe that is why I have not noticed.

remember to open humidors at least once a week to let fresh air circulate for a minute or so.Also rotating cigars in the humi is very important to always make sure all sticks get good humidification.

I was not aware of this thank you for the information! I'm typically smoking at least once a week, maybe that is why I have not noticed.

:O *goes to rotate the smokes* Thanks!

I finally got to my cigars yesterday and some looked like the wrappers were a bit wrinkled. Others looked fine. Anyway, more beads, two new properly cleaned and dried coolidors.

My question: what is the likelihood of major damage to my collection from this storage? Also, how long should I keep them sealed in the coolers before breaking them out?

Thanks!

I experienced this with my first humi when I added too much distilled water into the green foam/black plastic rectangle that came with it. I had some Padrons and Camachos that must have absorbed the moisture then dried back down to where the wrappers resembled my elbow skin :0 .
The wrappers and feet didn't split and during that time I learned how to manage my RH using beads and threw away those foam humidifiers and PG solution.
I have smoked all those cigars except the Camachos (more sentimental than anything else) and I thought they were good. But at the time, I used to think Gurkhas were collectible smokes too, so that gives you an impression of my taste buds! :laugh: