• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Elijah Craig 12 Year Old Bourbon

mhn

Elijah Craig 12 Year Old Bourbon
Distilled by Heaven Hill Distillery
47% ABV -- 94 Proof
A very nice oval-ish shaped bottle with no other packaging

My Review

Admittedly, my bourbon experiance is quite limited to very few brands, but I've decided to change that. After a year or two of drinking primarily Jim Beam Black Label, this was my first foray into other Bourbons at the $20 level available to me at local stores (with hopefully many more to come). I drank it, as I usually do, in a Bourbon snifter over 1 ice cube.

An initial nosing after the pour and a brief swirl revealed notes of sweetness and oak.

Throughout the entire experiance, the sweetness persisted, almost a caramel sweetness, and after each sip I was left with a bit of a lingering spice on the back of my tongue. The finish was quite smooth without any alcohol bite to it at all.

At right around $18 after tax here in VA, I could certainly get used to drinking this bourbon.

What The Company Says About it:
Elijah Craig 12-year-old is a true Small Batch premium Bourbon, and had that distinction before the term even existed. Bottled exclusively from a dumping of 100 barrels or less, the brand carries the name of Rev. Elijah Craig, the Baptist minister widely considered the "Father of Bourbon." He discovered the method of making true Kentucky Bourbon when his stored his wares in barrels that had been charred in a fire. Elijah Craig is highly acclaimed - it was awarded "Best of the Best Bourbon" in 2001 by Whisky Magazine and received a Double Gold Medal at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Whiskey expert Stuart MacLean Ramsay writes, "Rich, full bodied and warming with sweet oak, caramel and rye flavors; thick finish with notes of licorice and vanilla."

At 12 years old and 94 proof, Elijah Craig is bottled exclusively from a dumping of 70 barrels or less, all drawn from the middle to upper floors of the traditional metal clad rickhouses. It is the original Small Batch Bourbon, having been made available even before the term was invented. Elijah Craig recently won Double Gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition and was named winner in the Premium Bourbon category in Whisky Magazine 's bi-annual “Best of the Best” tasting competition.

Good one, I haven't done the 12 yo myself yet but I did post on the 18. Did you have anything to smoke with it or did you review this "clean"?

Nope...no cigar with it.

Sometimes when I smoke a cigar with a drink, I get so confused that I think I'm smoking a bourbon and drinking a cigar...of course that's when I know I found a good pairing :thumbs:

Very nice review. The EC 12 year is one of my "everyday" bourbons. I always have a bottle of it in the house. A very easy-drinking bourbon. I actually enjoy it more than the 18 year.