• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Evil Black Rifle fans!

I think Rod was building one, but who else has or is?

I'm nearing the completion and have a few questions.

What LPK did you use? Upper and lower receivers???

:thumbs:

I just use cheap LPK's. I can do a little tuning myself and am not a competitive shooter.

As for lowers, it's mostly based on what I have wrangled at the time. Currently I have, in order of preference love:

.458 marked MEGA gator
Multi cal. POF
Bushmaster
Cav Arms (fiberglass)
LMT
and a DPMS

Uppers are also various brands and calibers. I don't have a brand preference per se, but do like some of the chamberings better than others. Rock River (6.9 SPC & .458 SOCOM), Bushmaster (5.56), BOHICA (.50 BMG), & Spikes (.22 LR).

I built one right before the California ban in 1998. It is DPMS upper and lower without the shell deflector or forward assist. It was a lot of fun to plan and then succesfully acomplish the build and even more fun to ring the 12 inch gong at 200 yards with no effort.

I'm just waiting to have enough coin to buy the upper receiver. Decided on a Bravo Co. 16" middy to go along with the Spikes Tactical lower and Magpul MOE stock I have already. Not sure if I want rails or just KISS.

Thinking of an AimPoint Micro for the optics when it's time. :thumbs:

Black rifles, black pistols......that's how we roll around here....
thumbs-up.gif

LFK - who's your favorite .308 black rifle mfgr....??

thumbs-up.gif

Not necessarily a black rifle, but I'm more than a little biased toward FAL / L1A1's. :thumbs:
img0005xwn.jpg

Of course I wouldn't turn down an M1A or an AR-10. :whistling:

I usually use RRA lowers but I found a deal on some Superior Arms lowers and bought a good number before the election. I think AIM surplus has them still for 89. Most of my personal builds are RRA lower parts kits. But that is mostly because I love the two stage trigger. I have had very good experiences with both M&A parts and Model 1 sales kits. Not a single issue with almost 40 that I have built with friends. Buying a stripped lower and a kit is the cheapest and nearly easiest way to go anymore.

Tragically, all of my guns were lost in a freak boating accident. ;)

If you want some good advice on building black guns and overall tactical advice you should check out lightfighter.net There is a ton of knowledge there and any questions you have have been asked there or if you can find it, then feel free to ask.

If I remember correctly, DPMS makes the majority of the LPK's out there, to the point where other companies buy them from DPMS, and repackage them as their own. I personally went with a standard DPMS LPK on my Mega lower. There are some guides written out there on how to reduce the trigger pull from a ton to a few pounds, all are very easy and even if you screw it up, cheap to fix. I'd do a search on AR15.com for "poor man's trigger work ar15" and see what you come up with, I believe that is the search phrase I used to find the guide. It works beautifully.

I'm still missing my upper. Figures that now that they are a little easier to find, I don't have the money for one. :(

thumbs-up.gif

B.B.S. - I kept thinking you might respond back with your favorites list. Guess I should have asked.
unsure.gif

So, who's your favorite .308 black rifle mfgr?
Well.....I don't know. I thought about a bolt action Remington 700 based heavy barrel sniper style rifle, but something like this has me very interested as well. I want to stay with a NATO caliber so ammo availability is decent.

I have two .223's (Bushmaster / Bushmaster and Bushmaster / Olympic Arms) and I want a .30 cal next....

When it comes to the .308 I have always been partial to the M14 and clones. I picked both of mine up a couple of years ago and love them equally.

First one is an LRB reciever in a Troy MCS with an ACOG on it for optics. The rifle is a little on the heavier side but is my go to rifle if I was running out the door in a hurry.

Guns007.jpg

The second is an SA M1A National Match that I picked for a more traditional look and to start shooting in service rifle matches.

Guns003.jpg

M14's are a sickness like cigars and its hard to just own one when you get started.

The builds I've done have mostly used RRA uppers and lowers. Lower parts kits don't make much difference as long as you have a trigger that you like.

I personally like single stage triggers.

Good price :thumbs:

It does need at least $150 worth or parts to be a complete upper though (bolt carrier group and charging handle).

I couple of quick questions for you guys

1.) Obviously final price on a build depends a lot on the "trim", but realistically how much price difference can one expect from a mid-level build compared to just purchasing a "mid-level" off the shelf?

2.) Can someone with base level knowledge of fire arms put together a functional build with little hassle?

3.) Besides lightfighter.net are there any other good informational sources that you commonly use?

1.) Obviously final price on a build depends a lot on the "trim", but realistically how much price difference can one expect from a mid-level build compared to just purchasing a "mid-level" off the shelf?

2.) Can someone with base level knowledge of fire arms put together a functional build with little hassle?

3.) Besides lightfighter.net are there any other good informational sources that you commonly use?

1. Not long ago I figured around $650. Last year that went to somewhere just shy of $900. Now I don't know. Approximately $300 for a complete lower, around $550 for a complete upper. That's mid-range stuff. Check out RRA for average already built prices.

2. Not too hard. IMO lowers are very easy and uppers are not bad to assemble. Getting your head spacing correct can be tricky, but it's not rocket science. ;)

3. IMO ar15.com is the hands-down site for ar-15 & ak-74 (civi-47) based rifles. YMMV

1. Not long ago I figured around $650. Last year that went to somewhere just shy of $900. Now I don't know. Approximately $300 for a complete lower, around $550 for a complete upper. That's mid-range stuff. Check out RRA for average already built prices.

2. Not too hard. IMO lowers are very easy and uppers are not bad to assemble. Getting your head spacing correct can be tricky, but it's not rocket science. ;)

3. IMO ar15.com is the hands-down site for ar-15 & ak-74 (civi-47) based rifles. YMMV

You can get a top of the line upper(minus the BCG) for $475. Bravo Company sells their 16" midlength and carbine uppers for that much. Tough to beat Bravo. for quality.

Spikes Tactical is selling stripped lowers for $89. Figure $65/70 for a LPK, and a stock/buffer tube kit of your choice and you can have a 1st rate AR for a good price. Thats the way I went anyway. :cool:

Here is where I am at. Upper and hand guards are on the way.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/Unclebillybonz/100_0248.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c46/Unclebillybonz/100_0258.jpg

I have the BCG & charging handle(bravo company) already. Need a BUIS and I'm set.