• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Exhaling through the nose

Black Plague

I've heard it before and was reminded today while perusing moki's website. He had a little page on there about cigar tasting, where he and Wilkey opined that exhaling through the nose can reveal hidden flavors in cigars.

My question is...how the heck do I do it (without inhaling into my lungs)?

I have managed to achieve it once, totally by accident. I had a swig of rum in my mouth and took a puff to try to mingle the two flavors together and see what happened...then somehow managed to shoot smoke out my nose and almost choke. :laugh:

I realize this might be a bit hard to try to describe how to do, but if you want to give it a shot, Wilkey or anyone else who exhales through the nose, please do. :thumbs:

Here goes nothin'. A ridiculous but effective way to give it a go is to pull the smoke into your mouth, then pretend your snoring. Making the snoring nose pushes the smoke from your mouth to your nose.....at least it does for me.

After getting the hang of that you'll grow to do it without the ridiculous noise, lol. That's how I started it.

Pretty simple. Puff on a cigar and close mouth. Then exhale out your nose but it may burn just a tad if you have to much smoke so I recommend doing this with as little smoke as possible.

I tried it once with a Padron Millenium, which I was told was one of the easist cigars to achieve this. Didn't work so well...felt like the smoke was coming out of my eyeballs!!! I can make excellent smoke rings though.

The way I do it...

Inhale through the nose simultaneously as you draw through the mouth.

Exhale simultaneously through the nose and mouth.

I'm still practicing smoke rings, can get small deformed ones if the air is still enough.

I'm trying to perfect the two cigar rings out of my nose. Eventually I'll work my way up to the olympic symbol. That will involve blowing smoke out of my ass.

Try it with a very small amount of smoke the first time.

1) Draw a bit of smoke into your mouth.
2) Close mouth
3) Push tip of tongue up to the back side of your top front teeth, while...
4) Pushing middle of tongue up to roof of mouth
5) Breath through nose while doing 4 & 5.

I've heard it before and was reminded today while perusing moki's website. He had a little page on there about cigar tasting, where he and Wilkey opined that exhaling through the nose can reveal hidden flavors in cigars.

Like this

Like this

Seeing Andrew posting a link to blowing something strikes fear into my heart. Someone with better constitution than me please report back and let us all know if that link is safe. ???

Like this

I have to say that I think I will not be exhaling through my nose after that. But it was funny!!! :)

Thanks guys!

Now smoke rings I DO know (at least out of your mouth...not out of your nose). Just draw the smoke in then act like you're saying a really exaggerated "Oh" as you exhale, might also help if you push with your tongue a bit as you do it.

Let me try it,

take gentle puff's, following up easy after eachother like two, breating mainly through the nose during this.
then by the third puff you fill your mouth slowly with smoke,
during the third puff you make sure your throat is closed and during taking the third puff you breath in through your nose and really fill your lungs.
then hold you breath partly assisted by abdomen muscles (on that moment your lungs are full of air
which came in through your nose while puffing)

then with the smoke in your mouth simple close your mouth while chewing alsmost eating the smoke, right then or even simultanious you stop holding your breath and breath out through you nose
on this moment the smoke will be mainly coming out of your nose a little bit might escape through your mouth corners.

it's difficult to explane, on small part mainly in chewing the smoke part this i feel is comparable to wine, wine you also smack.

I hope it will work , sorry for my perfect english.

goodluck BC

Like this

Does the manual nipple manipulation reduce the burn effect on the nose?

Amateurs! :laugh: Try this, known to older cig. Smokers as the French inhale. ??? Fill mouth with smoke. Open mouth letting smoke escape and rise towards the nose. Inhale with nose. When done correctly the smoke will make a continuous circuit.

Doc.

I had forgotten about the French Inhale. Going to try it on my next cigar. Thanks Doc!!!! :thumbs:

BP,

My advice is to ask someone who knows how to do it the next time you herf. This is one of those things that is simple in execution but a written description makes it seem totally counterintuitive and complicated.

One way to achieve this is to make one simple change to your exhaling/expelling technique. Two steps.

1. When you go to release the mouthful of smoke you're holding, be conscious of using some air from your lungs to assist blowing it out of your oral cavity. this gets you to focus on using some lung air to push out smoke

2. Try this again but as you start blowing out, close your mouth and continue blowing by contracting your mouth and exhaling out gently with your lungs. this is the simple change that reroutes the smoke from your mouth to your nasal cavity

When expelling nasally, sometimes you'll want to do it with just mouth pressure. If the cigar is mild or smoke volume is small, then this maximizes the concentration and exposure in your nose. Sometimes you'll want to mix in or "carbuerate" the mouth smoke with lung smoked. This dilutes and extends the smoke and allows you to handle stronger or younger cigars.

Dave has a good point about inhaling slightly through the nose as you draw in the mouth. This exposes you to trailing smoke, or smoke directly from the smoldering foot. This smoke is often very different from drawn smoke and reveals yet another side of the cigar.

Wilkey

Like this

Hey Andrew, I thought you said you were gonna stop using the wig and fake mustache on your home videos.....

-----

French inhale works well.... however, for an exhale through the nose I take my normal draw and allow the smoke ot slowly escape the mouth (I do this on almost every draw anyway), then when the last of the smoke is left I close my mouth and exhale through the nose as normal. The exhaled air from th lungs just takes the remnants of the smoke out of the mouth with it, without ever actually taking the smoke down into the lungs. Took me about a year to get it right, and as previously warned, a number of factors can make it burn coming out - Exhaling too soon after drawing the smoke in (it's still hot), really spicy and full cigars can burn a bit or trying to exhale too much smoke at once.

With practice I've even gotten to a point where I can alternate exhaling one draw between my mouth and nose.

-K-

Like this

Jesus....I did not need to see that. :D

Any time i try the smoke just burns the hell out of my nose! :D
Guess I'll try smaller puffs.