• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Exterior vs Interior wall for Desktop Humidor

2K6TBSS

Hey all,
I have my humidor sitting in the bookcase in my office, but the bookcase is on an exterior wall (with a window on each side). Will having my humidor in this location affect it's performance? I mean, will it not be able to hold temp or RH as well as if it were located on an interior wall of the house, maybe sitting on my desk hutch in the office.

As of right now, I am not having any major problems (I don't think). The humidor has about 30 sticks in it, and is sitting pretty steady at 61-63%RH and 66-68*F. I am using the Boveda 72% packs right now (have 3 packs in the humidor).

Here is the humidor that I have (only in Cherry).... http://www.cheaphumidors.com/HUM-75BLK.html

I did do a quick search and didn't find anything on this issue. If this has been covered before, I am sorry...

EDIT - To add a bit more information.

I suppose it depends on how close your humidor sits to that wall, and how well that wall is insulated. If you have a temperature and RH inside that stays pretty constant then I suspect it probably isn't much of an issue.

Mostly you just want to avoid having the humidor sitting in direct sunlight from a window, or right under a vent.

~Boar

I suppose it depends on how close your humidor sits to that wall, and how well that wall is insulated. If you have a temperature and RH inside that stays pretty constant then I suspect it probably isn't much of an issue.

The humidor is about 1 foot off the wall. Not sure about how well insulated the walls are (we bought the house already built), but I have noticed the room temp stays pretty constant. Unfortunately the office is the coolest room in the house, as it has 2.5 exterior walls. Everything stays pretty constant, RH within 2% and temp withing 2*F, I am guessing that isn't much variation. Mostly the humi sits at 62%RH and 66*F.

Mostly you just want to avoid having the humidor sitting in direct sunlight from a window, or right under a vent.

~Boar

I won't be getting any direct sunlight where the humidor sits. And the heater vent is on the other side of the room.

I would say being farther from the heater vent is more critical that being close to the wall. Hot air blowing on it will be a much bigger problem.

~Boar
Sunlight passing over your humidor (even the edge) will do a number on your sticks...avoid at all costs.

I would say being farther from the heater vent is more critical that being close to the wall. Hot air blowing on it will be a much bigger problem.

I made sure that the vent was not anywhere close to the humi, and the direction of the vent is away from the humi. So I don't think I have anything to worry about on that one.

~Boar
Sunlight passing over your humidor (even the edge) will do a number on your sticks...avoid at all costs.

I don't get any sun light touching the humidor. It is pushed to the back of the book case that it sits in, plus the book case doesn't even get any sun touching it.

Bully, we all now know there is nothing wrong with your eyesight. :D