• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Fake Cigars at my B&M

Gavin

About a month ago, I dropped into a local B&M, just looking to buy a few singles to try out some new brands, and treat myself to a couple of brands, that while not mainstays of my humidor, I knew I liked. After perusing the contents of the humidor, I picked up a Fuente, and was about to head out with only that when I noticed a great deal on Cohibas. I think it was something like six dollars for the toro size, so I grabbed one of those as well. Now, I consider myself relatively savvy, and always use extreme caution when buying a cuban cigar. I brought a couple of articles with me on my last trip overseas that gave pointers on spotting Cuban fakes so I could be sure that my investment would be a wise one. But for some reason, it didn't occur to me that: a.) I needed to be on the lookout for fakes at my local B&M and b.) Dominican cigars were faked to such a large degree, that I walked off that day with my two cigars quite happy with my purchase.

I took my Cohiba to a friend's house one evening with the intention of smoking it, but he was kind enough to provide me with something from his humidor instead. But having it out and in my hand, it struck me that the Dominican Cohibas have two black bands and a red dot in the 'O', and not the yellow with black and white checkering like the Cuban ones have on their bands. It began to gnaw at me, and I realized that not only had I bought a fake, I had purchased a really really bad fake. Was there the 'R' after Cohiba denoting that it was a registered trademark? No. Was there the red dot in the 'O'? No. Was the band at least embossed and not just printed?? Again...sadly, no, just printed on there.

So now I have the embarrassment of being duped by a really bad fake, the ire of being cheated out of my hard-earned money, and a crappy dog-rocket to console myself with. I'm tempted to go down there and make a stink, but perhaps I should write it off as a lesson learned to once again trust people less. Needless to say, I will never shop there again, and before any of you ever buys a cigar at a smoke shop in Murrieta, CA, please PM me and I'll tell you which one to steer clear of.

Below is a slightly blurry picture of this really bad fake Cohiba...

gallery_10952_1273_249089.jpg

Wow sorry to hear about your bad luck. I am new and now taht makes me nervous that I am getting what I pay for when I go into the store. I guess I better read up. Also is your B&M going to exchange it as it is not the real thing or how does that work if you realize you did not get what you paid for?

Well, to my knowledge the red dot in the "O" annotates that it is non-cuban. Second, I am pretty sure that you can't go down to the local B&M and buy the real thing considering it is illegal in the states. Well let me just say that you aren't going to be able to go down there and see it on display in their humidor.

If I felt the same way that you do about this cigar I would go back to the shop and ask. If nothing else it would be a learning experience and it can't hurt!

Good luck!

Cigar Aficionado has the samples: http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Static/Counterfeit/count_copage10.html and it does look like a fake. Perhaps it may be worthwhile to ask them (the B&M) if they were aware it was a fake?

Might want to do a little research before you go yelling "Fakes!" in a crowded B&M. Those are similar to the Dominican Cohibas that were involved in the lawsuit. They didn't always have the red dot.... Do a search for Dominican Cohiba Lawsuit that may help you out....
Here, I'll do it for you.....

http://www.cigarpass...post__p__825075

Yup....Search is your friend!

Heck, those could be some well aged smokes.

As to how well they aged, that's another story! ;)

Why would anyone post in this thread is beyond me?

I took my Cohiba to a friend's house one evening with the intention of smoking it, but he was kind enough to provide me with something from his humidor instead.

Please tell me your friend was the one and only Souldog24ca? Did he put you up to this? Is this a ruse?

Jon, please take your padawan under your wing and teach him the ways of the force. Dammit Jon, how can you, the CP forum police allow this type of skullduggery to be happening at a B&M right under your own nose. Shameful.

You must be the forum police.

gallery_6472_1285_95767.jpg

If your looking for the Police you might start here

Hmmm well aged or counterfeit? Counterfiet would be more probable. I don't know if the old Cohiba labels (before the changed to the red dot) were embosed or not. I would think they were but ? Being in Honduras I have to watch for fakes at every B&M I visit, but a B&M in the states really?

I ceded the fact that this was a dumb, dumb, mistake. 'Facepalm' all you like, the intention of the post was to serve as a cautionary tale, to attempt to contribute something positive so that some people would not make the same dumb mistake I did. This may be moronic to most of you, but obviously it was of value to at least one. Purpose served.