• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Favorite album cover & why?

Keystone_Raider

Resident Lurker
Showing some age but I'm talking 33 1/3 album covers - not CD's! Mine is Bob Seger, Against the Wind. Love the design and it reminds me of how I go about life, like the stallions on the cover running into the wind, doing their independent thing. I actually have the album cover pinned to the wall in my family room.

Actually I'm a puss - but we all can dream- can't we? :laugh:

Edit: f'd up the post and had to correct!

As a kid, I always like the Molly Hatchet "The Deed is Done" cover. Very cool to a kid like me.

I'm showing my age a bit here, too - but Iron Maiden Powerslave (1984) has got to be one of the greatest covers in my mind. It's also best to view the 33 1/3 rpm cover - soley because of the intense detail in the illustration. The picture below does not do any amount of justice to the intense detail. Back in the day, I stared at this cover for hours - and if I picked it up today, I'd probably find a bunch of new stuff...or maybe just stuff I forgot about entirely. Admittedly, back then when I was doing all that staring, I'd been smoking - but not cigars. :whistling:

POWERSLAVE.JPG

Edit to correct pic link

I'm showing my age a bit here, too - but Iron Maiden Powerslave (1984) has got to be one of the greatest covers in my mind. It's also best to view the 33 1/3 rpm cover - soley because of the intense detail in the illustration. The picture below does not do any amount of justice to the intense detail. Back in the day, I stared at this cover for hours - and if I picked it up today, I'd probably find a bunch of new stuff...or maybe just stuff I forgot about entirely. Admittedly, back then when I was doing all that staring, I'd been smoking - but not cigars. :whistling:

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

You're right about that. LOL!

Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy. There's just a lot going on on the cover. Not some of my favorite music, but it was a cool album cover.

This is going to be a long list. You can search out the covers if you want to see what I'm talking about.

Album........Artist........Comment

Undercurrent - Bill Evans & Jim Hall - This dates from the early sixties and I just thought it was so cool when I saw it at 7 or 8 years old.

Their Satanic Majesties request - Rolling Stones - This was so neat watching the image change on the original 3D cover.

In Search of the Lost Chord - Moody Blues
Anthem of the Sun - Grateful Dead
Crown of Creation - Jefferson Airplane - 3 great covers from '68 that set the tone for future musical wanderings

Technical Ecstasy - Black Sabbath - I never could figure out what was supposed to be going on in this cover

Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - The first time I found Giger and was hooked.

Houses of the Holy - Led Zeppelin - The hand coloring was memorizing

Full Circle - The Doors - Another I just thought was cool.

Free - Free - Naked women, that was really important in 1969.

Santana - Santana - So many things to see in that lion head.

Blues for Allah - Grateful Dead - Another I liked so much I got a picture of it

Abraxas - Santana - More naked women and even more important in 1970

Trout Mask Replica - Captain Beefheart - The perfect cover for one of the best albums ever.

Sunburst Finish - Be Bop Deluxe - Burning guitars and naked women, always important

Rolling Thunder - Mickey Hart - Classic Kelly/Mouse

Hasten Down the Wind - Linda Ronstadt - Damn she looked good back then

Lotus - Santana Live in Japan - This album has more pull-outs, things that flip open, pictures and inserts then any I have ever seen. Plus it ROCKS!

Some time in New York City - Plastic Ono Band
Thick as a Brick - Jethro Tull - 2 albums that were as interesting to read as they were to listen to

And of course almost anything by Hipgnosis and Roger Dean

I can do the 80's next but I figure you'd be bored so I'll stop now.

I'm not bored - keep going!. I was wondering what you were going to say Ray. Pick one if you can....

I'll second that. Let's tap that vast knowledge. I'm intrigued.

4127HAFZHDL._SS500_.jpg

One of the sexiest album covers ever created.

Lillywhite.jpg

This goes down as one of the greatest albums ever created, nonetheless one of the greatest album covers ever created.

You want me to post more and pick just one. Humm, I'll just post more.

Candy-O - The Cars - Just about the sexiest drawing ever on an album

Rio - Duran Duran - The first Nagel cover

Tattoo You - Rolling Stones - The picture always made me think of a femanized Mick but loved the tats

Frankenchrist - Dead Kennedys - Something really odd about the Shriners and the little cars

Power, Corruption & Lies - New Order - Funeral flowers for the way music used to be

Surfing With The Alien - Joe Satriani - I just like the Silver Surfer

Breakfast in America - Supertramp - So optimistic that it hurt

Speaking in Tongues - Talking Heads - Limited Edition Clear Cover album (5000 made, I have 2) A modern Art icon (Robert Rauschenberg) meets modern music

Metal Box - Public Image Limited - Although released in '79 it is an 80's album. The metal can was unique.

Boy - U2 - The UK release was a picture of exactly what the title said. "I will follow" is still true today 28 years later

Disintegration - The Cure - The end of the 80's confusion with a beat

With CDs taking over the great album art that was known for 30 years started coming to an end. The 90's covers are few and far between.

Back in Black AC/DC

I forgot what grade I was in when it came out, but I remember (sort of) having lot's of blackouts at that time in my life. What a great freakin' album.

Big Bambu

Why? I don't remember.

It probably wasn't the cover...

I have some for you:

The Cars - The Cars, I like Candy-O, but this is more 'art' to me.
Rolling Stones - Some Girls - the original, before the lawsuits
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - We're Only in it for the Money - the original, before the lawsuits. great spoof of Sgt Peppers
Rolling Stones Sticky Fingers - try and put a working zipper on a CD
Herb Alpert and the Tijuana brass - Whipped Cream and Other Delights - gotta love a woman covered in whipped cream
Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin - Oh, the humanity
Cheap Trick - In Color and Black and White - Petersson and Zander on the front on Harleys, Bun E. and Nielsen on the back on mopeds, so fitting.
Beatles - Sgt Peppers - the original 'pick out the famous' cover
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon - simple in its impact, synonymous with Floyd. Oh, by the way, which one's Pink?

Greetings! My favorite album cover is the "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album cover because many famous people are pictured on the album cover. Please visit http://www.beatlesagain.com/btsgtppr.html. However, I have never been a big fan of "The Beatles". Great album cover, though. Regards, knightlaird

ELP's H.R. Giger cover and anything by Hipgnosis / Roger Dean were pretty cool.

If I had to pick one, it would be Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" album. I can still remember when I bought it, it was completely wrapped in black plastic....mine didn't even have the sticker shown here:

Wishyouwereoriginal.jpg

...and then when you opened it up, it was a white album, and the cover shot was a white back lot, with two dudes in tuxes, shaking hands, with one engulfed in flames:

200px-WishYouWereHere-300.jpg

Just always thought it was a very cool presentation. Shine on, you crazy diamond...... :cool:

Sorry for the small pix - best I could do.

Cheers - B.B.S.

51gokgcEI5L._AA240_.jpg

51NEN0XYVFL._SS500_.jpg

These were two I'd look at in my parent's collection as a kid. The Traffic had (I think) a flap where the marble is on the right that opened to the vinyl. The optical illusion really messed with my head as a youngster. As for The Who, I just couldn't understand what they were doing (besides pissing) and where they were. Looking at it now reminds me of a different planet. Needless to say, I have both on CD.

I would have to say the original cover to Scorpions Virgin Killer. :0 No, not because I am a perv. But it is the only rare album & cover I have left from a really great collection I had as a kid. My father discovered my collection one day and decided it was satanic so he destroyed all of them except - Scorpions Virgin Killer! It was stashed in a different spot. But if you know the cover, you know how controversial it was, and why. Dad would have really tripped on it! :laugh:

I would have to say the original cover to Scorpions Virgin Killer. :0 No, not because I am a perv. But it is the only rare album & cover I have left from a really great collection I had as a kid. My father discovered my collection one day and decided it was satanic so he destroyed all of them except - Scorpions Virgin Killer! It was stashed in a different spot. But if you know the cover, you know how controversial it was, and why. Dad would have really tripped on it! :laugh:
Virgin Killer
Alan, I don't know, but this looks pretty perverted to me, and I AM a perv.