• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Feral hog hunting in TX

Satchmo

Why do they call it a Power Ranger???
I was trying to come up with a long weekend to spend with pop and we narrowed it down to antelope in Wyoming or a dove and hog hunt in TX. We were pretty stoked about the TX trip but found out that hunting these "nuisance" pigs could be more expensive than antelope.

Is it possible to hunt feral hogs on public land? Is there any public land in TX? :) It seems like everything is huge ranches in the lone star state. Just looking for some advice from people in the know. Thanks.

Come to Des Moines. Within a 20mi radius we'll have you a pig in under an hour and we can smoke cigars the rest of the day. How liberal are you on the term "feral"?

Come to Des Moines. Within a 20mi radius we'll have you a pig in under an hour and we can smoke cigars the rest of the day. How liberal are you on the term "feral"?

You tell me here is a picture from his last "hunt."

The-Fat-women-ride.jpg

I thought feral meant "four legged".

Dan, that there is definitely a trophy! I was looking for a smaller meat hog. I heard the big one's can taste a bit gamey (I thought we had a puking smiley, hmmm).

ETA: Surpised a biggun has been posted and Freeburn hasn't posted yet. He must be giving himself a double, reverse stranger and can reach the keyboard......

You tell me here is a picture from his last "hunt."

The-Fat-women-ride.jpg

I'm sure it will, Matt. Some blue hair was smoking a Virginia Slim while I walked past and I got a bit woozy. It may be time to turn in the humidors.....

You should come to Iowa, Jason. I have friends that can hook you up with hogs anywhere from 25-300 lbs. within 5 miles of my house. We could do it as a "driven" hunt - you guys stand outside the barn with your guns and we'll drive the hogs to you. They're feral as soon as they're loose, right? :whistling:

You should come to Iowa, Jason. I have friends that can hook you up with hogs anywhere from 25-300 lbs. within 5 miles of my house. We could do it as a "driven" hunt - you guys stand outside the barn with your guns and we'll drive the hogs to you. They're feral as soon as they're loose, right? :whistling:

Bob, that sounds awesome except for the standing part. Could I put out a lawn chair and have an end table with some bourbon and a smoke resting? Can I pick my hog out in the pen and give it a name before we release it?

Bob, that sounds awesome except for the standing part. Could I put out a lawn chair and have an end table with some bourbon and a smoke resting? Can I pick my hog out in the pen and give it a name before we release it?

I thought it sounded awesome, too, except for the Iowa part... :sign:

I'm sure there are hobos in Iowas too, Alan. I've met Bob and you would enjoy it there. He was very friendly and offered to take his turn in the barrel first.

I enjoy pulled pork just as much as pulled puppy. I even put some slaw on top to cover the veggies. I believe that is Memphis style, right?

Get off my corner!!

Alan, you're dead to me.

Theres nothing like a good old southern hog hunt!
I love hog hunting. I would give it some consideration if I were you, although I've never hunted antelope.
My favorite is doing a spot and stalk hunt for 'em, although they're pretty easy to get to come to a feeder.
If you do go and you hope to take a big one, take into consideration the big ones are really tough. I would hunt with a larger caliber, or research shot placement on large hogs. As they get older their ribs fuse together with cartilage and sometimes it can mess up a shot. Many hunters choose to shoot in the head/ neck area to avoid this issue.
Also take into consideration gender and age. Male hogs over a certain age can be pretty gamey. However, if thats how you roll... take the shot.

Dan, that there is definitely a trophy! I was looking for a smaller meat hog. I heard the big one's can taste a bit gamey (I thought we had a puking smiley, hmmm).

ETA: Surpised a biggun has been posted and Freeburn hasn't posted yet. He must be giving himself a double, reverse stranger and can reach the keyboard......

Hey, big girls need love too.

The lawn chair is no problem, but going in to pick one out is a no-no. Too many contamination and disease issues. We can't have you dirty Wisconsinites going and making a few thousand hogs sick now can we?

Get off my corner!!

Alan, you're dead to me.

When you showed me pictures of the pigs with lipstick on, I figured they were for lovin' and not shootin'. I'd be happy to visit Des Moines. I believe I hit a nice little lounge there a few years back (pre-Clint). Why is Alan dead to you? I hope you weren't talking to me and forgot my name. I would feel quite silly after gettting that tatoo of "Property of CC" on my left cheek if you don't remember my name.

Theres nothing like a good old southern hog hunt!
I love hog hunting. I would give it some consideration if I were you, although I've never hunted antelope.
My favorite is doing a spot and stalk hunt for 'em, although they're pretty easy to get to come to a feeder.
If you do go and you hope to take a big one, take into consideration the big ones are really tough. I would hunt with a larger caliber, or research shot placement on large hogs. As they get older their ribs fuse together with cartilage and sometimes it can mess up a shot. Many hunters choose to shoot in the head/ neck area to avoid this issue.
Also take into consideration gender and age. Male hogs over a certain age can be pretty gamey. However, if thats how you roll... take the shot.

I agree. I've never been to TX and seeing the big ranches, having a bonfire eating some suckling pig would be awesome. I would probably go for a smaller eatin' hog or two. I wanted to stuff a turducken into a 60 pounder. Would that be purducken? Maybe a Turduckening?

Hey, big girls need love too.

Amen, brotha. That is on the back of my business cards.

The lawn chair is no problem, but going in to pick one out is a no-no. Too many contamination and disease issues. We can't have you dirty Wisconsinites going and making a few thousand hogs sick now can we?

That is only a rumor that CWD and bird flu started from a real life game of "pin" the tail on the donkey. Complete speculation...... mostly.

I thought it sounded awesome, too, except for the Iowa part... :sign:

This is why Alan is dead to me.

Satch, you and me are good. Come on down to Des Moines, we'll get you a hog (acorn fed south of town) and talk bad about Alan.