• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First Born Son

pierce652

My wife is due March 3rd with my first born son. I already have a beautiful daughter but wasnt into cigars at the time of her birth.

Im looking for cigars that I can buy prior to the birth and store through the years and share with him on special occasions as the years pass...ie. graduation from college, first job, and when married pass the remainder of the box to him. As for my daughter I may also buy a box and smoke them on her occasions as well. But Im gonna have to really like the guy she's with to share such a treasure.

What would all of you recommend as a smoke that will age well and hold up over the next 18-20 years and be a real gem? They dont have to be an ISOM but thats okay too. Keep in mind that while I have warmed my wife to the idea I cant go breaking the bank on this one.

Jim B.

It really depends on the your taste, amount you want to spend and the number of cigars that you want for that amount. If you want it to last a lifetime, then go with a cabinet of 50 cigars. This will give you 25 occasions to share with your son. I don't really have much experience with NCs, so I'll reccommend Cubans. The good news is that most recent production Cubans have been fabulous, so almost anything you choose should be great. I'll give you a list of my favorites that come in a cabinet of 50, and others on this board with more experience can give you the aging potential of each.

$200-$300 range
Partagas Shorts
Bolivar Petite Corona
El Rey del Mundo Choix Supreme
Por Larranaga Petite Coronas

$300-$400
H. Upmann Magnum 46
Juan Lopez Seleccion no.2
Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure no.2
Ramon Allones Specially Selected

>$400
Partagas Lusitania
Hoyo de Monterrey Double Corona

Personally, I would go with the longer sticks like the Lusitania and the HDM DC, but otherwise, you can't go wrong with the RASS. I've also heard great things about the Saint Luis Rey double corona, but have not tried it yet.

Enjoy and congratulations on the new son.

I'll second that opinion. You can't go wrong with RASS but by the time you break them out for the those milestones and want to share life's journey the added length of the Lusitania will be a plus...

Either way those would be my two selections

Splurge and go for the Cohiba Sublimes. It'll be an investment worth your while. :thumbs:

Ideally, and the way I did it, is to find a box or cabinet that has the month/year of birth for each child. The same way some folks will buy a case of fine Bordeaux from the birth year and age it. Unfortunately non havana cigars don't have such production dates on them. So for your son, a March 06 box won't be around for some time, and for your daughter you may have to look far and wide to find it. Perhaps on your wish list you can mention her month/year of birth and that your looking for a box with those dates and someone here might be able to point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

everytime i get asked about this the advice i give is to buy a box that has cigars in individual tubes, to ensure there safety and humidity. helix makes a good tubed cigar for around 60 a box. others that come to mind are gurkha, perdomo, montecristo, h. uppman or even a couple of the tubed forbidden x would be cool. just a thought.

other than that you can pick up a box of pam 1964 torps for $250 a box that i can only imagine how tasty they would be with 18 years if age on them.

I would go the ISOM route myself but if you went NC, I would go with a high end Fuente.

I would also get a box of the Fuente 858s (Maduros) with the "It's A Boy" printed on them, just for the hell of it.

What about Habanos with box dates that match his date? :cool:

Wow,
Great recommendations all!

Sam,
I like the way you think. I would also toss in the Saint Luis Rey Double Corona in the 50-cab as a strong contender. Also, I'd say consider the Cohiba Esplendidos. I've put down a box of H. Upmann Sir Winstons for the milestones in my little girl's life. Both are churchills and would present a sizeable amount of smoking pleasure. Partagas Lusitanias :thumbs:

As for NC's, and sticking with the churchill size, there's the Tatuaje Reserva SW. The "SW" is an homage to "Sir Winston" Churchill for whom the size was developed and christened. If you can find the Padron Serie 1926 #1, that would be a very impressive smoke to take out as the years pass. Hell, any of the 1964 or 1926 series would be fine.

How much exactly are you looking to spend?

Wilkey