• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

First job

Hey BBS, I had the same job at my local grocery store! I worked as a "bag boy" for 2 days and they transfered me to the bottle return department. I sorted and racked returned bottles by company, brand and color. I did that for over a year and then got transferred to the produce department.

Cusomers used to bring in their returns and get their money back at the customer service desk. They would stack the bottles in a large, metal cart and when it got full, they would make a store-wide announcement on the PA for me to come swap it for an empty one. Normally, something like "Joe, please bring a bottlecart to customer service" or sometimes just "Bottlecart to customer service". It didn't take long until the guys I worked with started calling me "bottlecart". This was cemented one day, when a new manager said over the PA, "Joe, bottlecart to the front desk"...but he was kind of spaz and it came out "Joe Bottlecart to the front desk!".

To this day, I occasionally run into somebody from those days and they'll greet me with "Hey, Joe Bottlecart!"

In between jobs: Helicopter Mechanic/Soldier, UPS loader (Teamster!), handy man, consultant, programmer...

Now: Oracle Database Administrator

Apprentice baker/gofer. I did learn how to ice a cake like a professional! I got paid a $1 an hour, but was able to eat a lot of the stuff we made. I really enjoyed that job, but it was hard work to handle a delivery of 50 lb sacks down a set of rickety stairs. I did this my junior and senior year of HS.

First job: Back in the 60's the New York Times didn't have home delivery. I went around my apartment building and signed up people for cost plus 75 cents I'd deliver their paper 6 days a week (no Saturdays). Every morning at 5 I'd go down to the corner news stand and pick up between 170-200 papers with my wagon and deliver them before I went to school. Making $125 a week at 10-12 years old wasn't a bad gig. It ended when we moved to Jersey.

Current: Full time pain in the ass.

First Job: Roofer in the summers. Then during college was a butcher.

Now: Telecommunications work.

Twelve years old working for a local farmer who sold eggs door to door, Mr. Schumann was tough but i learned a lot, my job was to take the orders to the second and third floor without dropping them. :laugh: More then once! :laugh:

First Job: Sold flowers on the street corner

Best Job: Tending bar while I was going to college

First Job: Pizza Shop (the couple burns on my arm from the pizza oven don't let me forget it!)
Current Job: IT Consulting (current client is the gov't)

First job: Paper boy in a rural neighborhood. That wasn't much fun.
Than farmer and mostly construction since.

TV shop at the ripe age of 13, cleaning TV chassis. I eventually started fixing them, too. The following summers, installing barbed wire fence using a 20lb post driver. THAT is a job for the young.

Now: Telecommunications

First Job: Working on a Dairy Farm in High School. Mostly driving the dump truck and hauling green chop.
Current Job: Government Sales

First real job: Lumberyard at 16. Pretty hard work, even for a youngin' like myself.
Currently: Full-time law student.

First Job: Selling fishing bait at a convenience/grocery store and restocking the cooler. NO, I was not a master baiter.

Now: IT/Telecom

Wish I was: A farmer

Cparker

First Job: Pump Monkey at a Texaco
Current Job: Special Operations Analyst/Trainer

C&G ...just glad I don't hump the pig - anymore. :whistling:

First job: law enforcement
Now: IT (more lucrative and safer :))

I would have never guessed that Rod.

First job: dishwasher
Length of tenure: 45 minutes

Did you tell them you quit? or just sneak out?

First Job: Paper boy at the tender age of 12 for the Sunday Sun

Worst Job: Assembling and rolling hammocks (I only included this, because this topic immediately triggered a bad time in my life :angry: and it had to do with assembling and rolling hammocks for 4 hours a day while going to school!)

Current Job: Investment Banker at a very large hedge fund

First: Ripe age of 13 delivering newspapers
Worst: Loading trucks and working in a fish market while in college
Current: Director of Training, Marketing and Promotions / Office Manager

First Job: Bagger at Pick N Save (excluding the paper route i had years before)
Current Job: Intern in IT support Center

Would I work at Pick again? NO!

1st job? Cropped tobacco age 11 - 13 (or so) during the summers ($50 per summer, fortune at that age huh?)

'tween - "landscaping" busines (fancy for mowin' peoples lawns), burger flipper, meat cutter, waiter, mechanic, machine operater/supervisor (textiles), dispatcher, admin clerk for Forestry Service. I think that's it, have to check my resume' :laugh:
Today - Credit & Collections acct II