• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

floral foam

Sockmonkey

Hey guys I have been trying to put together a coolerdor and used florist foam to regulate humidity. I just read in a thread not to get the kind with flower preservative in it . So I checked and sure enough it does will this ruin the coolerdor or the cigars?

I don't kmow the answer to your question, but I sure wouldn't want flower preservatives near my sticks. Check out this thread for good info. Also do yourself a favor, scrap the foam and get beads from Heartfelt or Cigarmony. They give off as well as absorb moisture, ensuring a pretty constant RH%. Not only that but they are mindless to use and you will wonder why you didn't get them the first time through when you do switch. Also check out this link. Good luck on the cooler.

If you're looking for a less inexpensive solution, you can get gel humidifier tubes/jars on ebay. I have a vendor which I've had very good experiences with.

The downside is that you have to do a little tweaking to get the right RH, and you'll need a hygrometer nonetheless. When you have some cigars that smoke better at one RH and some at another (as I do, as most do), then heartfelt beads may be the way to go.

Certain types of silica kitty litter also work (no deodorizer). I have it myself. I forget the brand.

X3 on the Heartfelt beads. Just make the investment in them and never worry again. It will honestly be the best money you've ever spent. You'll spend 10 minutes maybe 3 times a year caring for them. It's that easy. I used the floral foam as well when I first started. If you insist on using it, make sure to get the plain foam, no floral preservative, and use distilled water with the PROPYLENE GLYCOL solution so you can keep it at 70 percent. Read up on the links merkinmullet gave you. Also, post an introduction and read up. This is one great place to hang out.

I'm using floral foam and its a pain in the A#*, i'm getting some beads as soon as I can.