• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

For the Newbies..

Ugaman72

#1 Always read all rules of each different topic thread. They can be much different. I got caught up and didn't read the 4 month waiting period for trades/buys/sells. Be villigent and read every rule TWICE.

#2. If you screw up (and you will) rectify the situation by first apologizing and then righting the wrong by making it just like it was before (if not a little better). Do not make excuses, do not say "so and so told me". Be a man, take responsibility, you dod wrong, own up to it, fix it, and move on.

#3 Be active. This doesn't mean just posting welcome posts in the introduce yourself thread just to you your post count up. If you get bombed and see someone wanting to try something you have extra of, bomb them. This is a community of helpfulness. The earlier your realize this and contribute, the earlier you will reap the benefits of those who are active and known BOTL's.

#4 You do knot know everything. Even if you've beeen smoking 50 years, you are a newbie on here. Treat this place with respect and it will treat you with respect tenfold.

#5 Contribute. Either by answering questions or asking them. That's why this place is here. It's what makes it run. The better you get at these things, the faster you will be rewarded by being invited into box splits/trade/and passes.

#6 And, the most important of them all. Treat each BOTL as you would have each BOTL treat you. Simple as that.

#1 Always read all rules of each different topic thread. They can be much different. I got caught up and didn't read the 4 month waiting period for trades/buys/sells. Be villigent and read every rule TWICE.

#2. If you screw up (and you will) rectify the situation by first apologizing and then righting the wrong by making it just like it was before (if not a little better). Do not make excuses, do not say "so and so told me". Be a man, take responsibility, you dod wrong, own up to it, fix it, and move on.

#3 Be active. This doesn't mean just posting welcome posts in the introduce yourself thread just to you your post count up. If you get bombed and see someone wanting to try something you have extra of, bomb them. This is a community of helpfulness. The earlier your realize this and contribute, the earlier you will reap the benefits of those who are active and known BOTL's.

#4 You do knot know everything. Even if you've beeen smoking 50 years, you are a newbie on here. Treat this place with respect and it will treat you with respect tenfold.

#5 Contribute. Either by answering questions or asking them. That's why this place is here. It's what makes it run. The better you get at these things, the faster you will be rewarded by being invited into box splits/trade/and passes.

#6 And, the most important of them all. Treat each BOTL as you would have each BOTL treat you. Simple as that.
Nicely said, Ugaman72, nicely said. It's really refreshing when newer members put some thought into their experience here at CigarPass. Having a good time here really isn't rocket science and your post captures that. There are various newbie guides scattered around the internet and Rod's and EShaw's are pretty good examples. But to have a newcomer restate and reiterate some of the key points is edifying.

Now, I'd like to add what I think is the order of exercising these guideposts.
A. When a newcomer first appears on the scene, #4 and #6 to demonstrate humility, an honest desire to join the community, and a willingness to learn.

B. As you start to become active by posting, #1 to start to develop an understanding of the explicit ground rules to set the stage for uncovering the unspoken ground rules.

C. Now that folks are starting to get to know you and know your style, #5 then #3 to engage in participatory socialization. That is to say, to become part of the community by functioning in the community. Once you've shown your good intentions, then pass and trade as reasonable.

D. If and when the inevitable happens, #2 to demonstrate goodwill, communication, and acceptance of personal responsibility.

Good job, Ugaman72. :thumbs:

Wilkey

Nicely said, Ugaman72, nicely said. It's really refreshing when newer members put some thought into their experience here at CigarPass. Having a good time here really isn't rocket science and your post captures that. There are various newbie guides scattered around the internet and Rod's and EShaw's are pretty good examples. But to have a newcomer restate and reiterate some of the key points is edifying.

Now, I'd like to add what I think is the order of exercising these guideposts.
A. When a newcomer first appears on the scene, #4 and #6 to demonstrate humility, an honest desire to join the community, and a willingness to learn.

B. As you start to become active by posting, #1 to start to develop an understanding of the explicit ground rules to set the stage for uncovering the unspoken ground rules.

C. Now that folks are starting to get to know you and know your style, #5 then #3 to engage in participatory socialization. That is to say, to become part of the community by functioning in the community. Once you've shown your good intentions, then pass and trade as reasonable.

D. If and when the inevitable happens, #2 to demonstrate goodwill, communication, and acceptance of personal responsibility.

Good job, Ugaman72. :thumbs:

Wilkey

After reading through Wilkey's reorg of the OP, All that keeps running through my head is the phrase "And a partridge in a pear tree" :sign:

Very good post Ugaman72! :thumbs:

STICKY??

I've just been biding my time till I get to take my place among the FOGs who sit in the tree, waiting to vilify poor, unsuspecting noobs who do something stupid. Why anal-ize things?

1. Behave with honor. Pay your debts, complete your deals as you agreed.
2. Be generous
3. If what you have to say contibutes to the conversation, say it.

Hope this one is short enough that others might actually read it.

I've just been biding my time till I get to take my place among the FOGs who sit in the tree, waiting to vilify poor, unsuspecting noobs who do something stupid. Why anal-ize things?

2. Be generous

One man's over analysis is another man's moment of clarity.

Everyone has a voice here. Each of us can use that voice in a manner that suits us as long as it is respectful of the customs of our community. I believe anyone can ask for clarification in a manner that is most effective for them. I simply cannot understand why folks keep banging the "K-I-S-S" drum as if this were the only bona fide way to converse here. It is not. Otherwise, windbags like myself and others would have moved on to wordier pastures long ago. What should be the focus of the discussion is the content and ideals being communicated, not whether it takes one sentence or ten.

The posts here range in style from snacks to full-on banquets and that is one thing that makes CigarPass accessible and enjoyable to all of its members.

Wilkey

After reading through Wilkey's reorg of the OP, All that keeps running through my head is the phrase "And a partridge in a pear tree" :sign:

Now that's funny...LMAO :laugh:

2. Be generous

and...be able to understand what you are reading...Geez, it's simple isn't it? One word...Integrity. You have it or you don't, can't teach an old dog to jump through hoops.

Brian

One man's over analysis is another man's moment of clarity.

Everyone has a voice here. Each of us can use that voice in a manner that suits us as long as it is respectful of the customs of our community. I believe anyone can ask for clarification in a manner that is most effective for them. I simply cannot understand why folks keep banging the "K-I-S-S" drum as if this were the only bona fide way to converse here. It is not. Otherwise, windbags like myself and others would have moved on to wordier pastures long ago. What should be the focus of the discussion is the content and ideals being communicated, not whether it takes one sentence or ten.

The posts here range in style from snacks to full-on banquets and that is one thing that makes CigarPass accessible and enjoyable to all of its members.

Wilkey

Why use a sentence when a paragraph will do? The paragraph option is perfectly ok with me, but I'll seldom read past the second sentence. Wilkey, with your posts in the last few months, I don't even read the thesis (any more). Consider your audience. Post as you will. You've earned that.

Anyone in Bruce's area? I'd like to outsource a lingering hug. PM me for details. :laugh:

Every 6 months we get a thread like this, then everyone over analyzes/comments it to death while getting all butt hurt so much so that it becomes a pointless never ending thread that will plummet into the depths of the cp black hole.

people are either going to come on here and read the info already sticked and available to them and become a valued member or they will get spanked a few times and either blow up or "get it".

/end thread

Anyone in Bruce's area? I'd like to outsource a lingering hug. PM me for details. :laugh:

Spend the lingering hug on the tree nearest you. :p

Disneyland at the end of the month and GABF when I get back aught to trim my sails a bit. Neither will change my opinion here, though.

I like to use pictures:

teacher_ad_1.jpg

I've just been biding my time till I get to take my place among the FOGs who sit in the tree, waiting to vilify poor, unsuspecting noobs who do something stupid.

You really should put a smiley face on the end of that, Bruce! :sign:

CP is not an academic exercise, to turn it into one cheapens the relationships and activities here to nothing more than a result of some theoretical study and is condescending.

If a person can't figure out how to fit in and be productive around here I'm not sure how they would fare in the world outside of CP.

Thanks for putting that put there.

I am a toal newb, looking to make friends and there is nothign I would rather not do then insult anyone from this community.

I like to use pictures:

teacher_ad_1.jpg

I take exception. Beer will help you get laid. You'll just be sorry that it did in the morning...nothing lowers standards like too much hooch. :D

As to the rest of this thread, If there's a post I don't think will interest me, I skip over it. No need for judgement of the poster, IMO, unless he's posting crap.

Thanks for the post. I have been here all of a week and I have found a lot of friendly people willing to give out good advise and they are gentle too. Thanks

Mike

It seems as though my post has angered some of the members here so I've removed it. Sorry to everyone who I've "rubbed" the wrong way. It wasn't my intention at all.
Cheers,
Chad