• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Forbidden X and Opus X Perfecxion X compared

moki

el Presidente
fx_ox_comparison.jpg

For my cigars at the local poker game tonight, I decided to compare the Forbidden X cigar (6 ¼" x 48) that comes with the Platinum DVD set with a comparably sized Opus X cigar, the Perfexcion X (6 ¼" x 48).

I was curious about this Forbidden X cigar, because I understood that it was created with a specially aged Chateau d'Fuente (Opus X) tobacco blend. It's a beautifully made cigar that comes in a tube, and the wrapper is slightly darker than the normal Opus X Rosado wrapper (but not as dark as Opus X Maduro cigars).

As I lit it up, I expected it to taste very similar to the aged Opus X cigars I've had... but the profile, while similar to an Opus X cigar, was actually rather different. Where the Perfecxion X had the typical jalapeño/raison/citrus flavor profile, the Forbidden X cigar had hints of these flavors, but tended toward a less sharp taste. Instead of the high-rising crescendo of spice, it had a more curvaceous flavor profile, with hints of deeper, earthier flavors, some cocoa, cinnamon spice, and cloves.

At first I couldn't quite figure out what was going on here -- this is supposed to be Chateau d'Fuente tobacco... but the flavor profile was different, and it couldn't just be the age. So now my speculation: I believe this is Chateau d'Fuente tobacco, but it is either grown on a different part of the farm, or it is picked at a later time and processed differently. And indeed, the taste of the cigar had hints of the as-yet unreleased Destino al Siglo "13" cigar.

I may be completely wrong on this, but I do not believe this is simply aged Chateau d'Fuente tobacco in this cigar; it does not taste like any of the aged Opus X cigars I've had. Regardless, it was an extremely enjoyable cigar; I liked it better than the Perfecxion X (which I had second), and that was a great cigar as well.

Time to get a couple more Platinum DVD sets... it's unfortunate that's the only way to obtain these cigars currently.

cool!
Thanks for the review, always interesting to read.
Was wondering what the new forbiddens form the dvd set were like.

and I have to say thanks for the description on the reg. Opus X profile.
""jalapeño/raison/citrus flavor profile""
prob the best spot-on for how they taste. [well, beats how I describe them]

:thumbs:

sir-smokes-a-lot said:
cool!
Thanks for the review, always interesting to read.
Was wondering what the new forbiddens form the dvd set were like.
[snapback]161363[/snapback]​

Keep in mind this is only the black-banded Forbidden X cigar from the Platinum DVD set -- there were cigars included in a DVD set in 2003 that are indeed just a normal Opus X blend.

moki said:
fx_ox_comparison.jpg

For my cigars at the local poker game tonight, I decided to compare the Forbidden X cigar (6 ¼" x 48) that comes with the Platinum DVD set with a comparably sized Opus X cigar, the Perfexcion X (6 ¼" x 48).

I was curious about this Forbidden X cigar, because I understood that it was created with a specially aged Chateau d'Fuente (Opus X) tobacco blend. It's a beautifully made cigar that comes in a tube, and the wrapper is slightly darker than the normal Opus X Rosado wrapper (but not as dark as Opus X Maduro cigars).

As I lit it up, I expected it to taste very similar to the aged Opus X cigars I've had... but the profile, while similar to an Opus X cigar, was actually rather different. Where the Perfecxion X had the typical jalapeño/raison/citrus flavor profile, the Forbidden X cigar had hints of these flavors, but tended toward a less sharp taste. Instead of the high-rising crescendo of spice, it had a more curvaceous flavor profile, with hints of deeper, earthier flavors, some cocoa, cinnamon spice, and cloves.

At first I couldn't quite figure out what was going on here -- this is supposed to be Chateau d'Fuente tobacco... but the flavor profile was different, and it couldn't just be the age. So now my speculation: I believe this is Chateau d'Fuente tobacco, but it is either grown on a different part of the farm, or it is picked at a later time and processed differently. And indeed, the taste of the cigar had hints of the as-yet unreleased Destino al Siglo "13" cigar.

I may be completely wrong on this, but I do not believe this is simply aged Chateau d'Fuente tobacco in this cigar; it does not taste like any of the aged Opus X cigars I've had. Regardless, it was an extremely enjoyable cigar; I liked it better than the Perfecxion X (which I had second), and that was a great cigar as well.

Time to get a couple more Platinum DVD sets... it's unfortunate that's the only way to obtain these cigars currently.
[snapback]161361[/snapback]​

Hmmmm....I wonder what spurred this on? :D Love the band and the wrapper color - I am going to have to get this one!

Thanks for the great review...any tips anyone on where to pick up a set or two

I know skeptics abound regarding various limited edition releases (which I think is perfectly understandable)... but these Forbidden X cigars are something special indeed, IMHO

I have only had one so far but i more than agree. Although i dont have many aged opus(yet). It was still differant in a very good way.

I picked up the LE Forbidden X set over Christmas. Is it safe to say I should let both of these age for awhile? If so, in or out of glass? TIA

mrjinglesusa said:
I picked up the LE Forbidden X set over Christmas. Is it safe to say I should let both of these age for awhile? If so, in or out of glass? TIA
[snapback]162439[/snapback]​

I suggest keeping them in the glass tubes but remove the caps.

mrjinglesusa said:
[snapback]162439[/snapback]​

Based on the one I had the other day, I'd say they are more than ready to be smoked now -- but aging them sure can't hurt either. As for how to store them, I always just toss them into the humidor as they are... mostly because I know I'll lose the end-cap to the tube if I take it off. :)

Thanks for the advice MMM and Moki. I may smoke one soon and then let one age for awhile. :thumbs:

I just got my first Forbidden X's over the weekend - they look yummy.

must...resist..urege...to...open..humidor.........

MilesMingusMonk said:
I suggest keeping them in the glass tubes but remove the caps.
[snapback]162441[/snapback]​

Should I do this with all my tubes? Remove the caps, but keep in tube?

Ree

Arturo Fuente Opus X Forbidden X 2005 - 6 1/4 x 48

Are these worth it at the price of $50 for two?