• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Found 1 cigar in my humidor that had major mold

DKAudio

I was just going through my humidor and found a cigar that had a lot of mold on the end. All the other cigars looked fine. I don't understand why this one got so moldy, I've had it for a few years and it was surrounded by many non-moldy cigars.

Is it ok to smoke if I do it immediately and clean off the mold or could it make me sick?

Any ideas why this happened?

RH is 65% Temp is usually 75-76 in the summer.

Thanks

I personally wouldn't smoke it. If it were just a small amount on the wrapper then it might be different but it looks like the mold actually may be up into the foot. Smoking that cigar may prove to make you a little sick (or a lot sick?).

Considering it's just a Perdomo Champagne, I'd chuck it, no sense in getting sick.

Toss it dude! You don't know how far it's crept inside. Then make SURE none of your others are infected...

Darn! That's actually a pricey cigar for me, I got it in a trade and was actually saving this one. It sounds like a perfect cigar for me...creamy throughout, mild bodied but full in flavor, oh well. Still curious why it even happened.

It could have been to damp in your humidor. It could have started wherever you got it from. There are lots of different ways it could have started.

That's does look pretty bad. I got a little worried as I have several of this series in my humidor that I got from CBid in October 2007. I checked them out and they all look fine. PM me your addy and I'll replace yours. Thanks for the heads up.

Larry

Darn! That's actually a pricey cigar for me, I got it in a trade and was actually saving this one. It sounds like a perfect cigar for me...creamy throughout, mild bodied but full in flavor, oh well. Still curious why it even happened.

It's possible it may have had a small amount of mold on it you didn't notice that was a result of where the cigar was stored prior to you buying/receiving it. If that was the case and you tucked it away it might continue to grow on that stick which may explain why your others haven't gotten it yet. If your other sticks seem fine I wouldn't worry about your humidor and your temp and humidity (assuming they are in normal ranges) but maybe toss the near by sticks in some baggies in case they did pick up a few spores and check them regularly.

Only thing might be your humidity source. If you're using just plain distilled water in a sponge the area near there may have higher RH than what your hygro is registering in places elsewhere. Maybe move it around to a few spots to ensure that what ever humidity source you're using is giving a uniform 60-70% through out the humidor just to be safe and if it is just be glad you noticed it before all your cigars looked like my father-in-laws chest.

I'm actually curious how far up the inside that mold went. If you feel like it, cut the wrapper and binder off and see how bad it really was.

Look closely at all the sticks around it and I would probably keep a very close eye on the humidity in your humidor now. Who knows how far the spores may have spread.

Nice play Larry
thumbs-up.gif

Wipe it off and smoke it!

Your body is bombarded every hour of every day will all manner of fungi. It won't hurt you a bit.

Serious Bruce?

I will cut the end off and see how far up it goes.

I use Heartfelt beads for humidification.

Thank you Larry! I can trade some sticks if you like, we'll talk via PM.

Next time do a Poll so we can vote on it. Mob rules.

Dude don't wipe it off. That stuff looks better than the shrooms at a Dead show.

I took it apart and it looked clean inside. The head/cap area had a very fine surface mold in 1 spot but was barely noticeable. 99% of the mold was just on the edge of the foot, it didn't even appear to be existent 1/4" in.

On another note, I checked my entire humidor carefully and found 1 Oliva Series V (yes, also one of my best cigars that I was also saving for a good occasion) that had a deep hole in it. I'm going to watch it carefully, I doubt it is beetles but you can't be too careful. I have the humidor in my basement and I think the hottest it has been is 78.

Thanks,
Dan

I took it apart and it looked clean inside. The head/cap area had a very fine surface mold in 1 spot but was barely noticeable. 99% of the mold was just on the edge of the foot, it didn't even appear to be existent 1/4" in.

On another note, I checked my entire humidor carefully and found 1 Oliva Series V (yes, also one of my best cigars that I was also saving for a good occasion) that had a deep hole in it. I'm going to watch it carefully, I doubt it is beetles but you can't be too careful. I have the humidor in my basement and I think the hottest it has been is 78.

Thanks,
Dan

You could always do a "tap test" for telltale beetle signs, and hope for the best!

Thanks,
Dan

You should cremate them both in a small ceremony.

I will do the tap test when I get home. The hole didn't look circular but more oblong so I'm not too worried. How long does it take from the first beetle hole to many other holes appearing?