• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Frankenfish

Swissy

Livin' the retired life!
Ok, so this summer I hosted my buddy Tony Rumore (of Saiga12/Tromix/.458SoCom fame) again for a halibut fishing trip. On the last day, at my normal spot, we caught frankenfish. Or, to be exact, a wolf eel. A prehistoric looking creature! Weird part is, they like rocky, hily kind of bottoms where they can live in cracks and crevices, like any other eel. But my spot is in the middle of the bay, all flat and muddy! What he was doing there is beyond me, unless there is some unknown rock outcropping close by I did not know about. If it wasn't the last day, I would have mapped the bottom better (something I have not done since I upgraded to $$$ sonar equipment)

Worse part is, since I don't fish an area that we catch them in, I don't know much about them... so we cut it loose. We get back, I do a little reading, and guess what? That thar was good eatin'! Tony still is giving e crap about it.

I give to you proof of dinosaurs living amongst us:
20130709_120934.jpg

BTW, I never dropped my Padron64 while he got this up and we cut it loose... :laugh:

He came up again?  That is too cool, Jim.

BTW, the pic isn't working.

Yeah, he wanted more halibut (and bring me the S308)!  And no pic? it works fine for me... lemme try moving it to another part of my site.

EDIT: pic working now?

Looks like a fish with a turtle head, an eel tail, and throw in a little Creature From The Black Lagoon all rolled into one.

Very cool catch, Jim! From the pic it looks about 4' long and nice and fat! 

jfields said:
Looks like a fish with a turtle head, an eel tail, and throw in a little Creature From The Black Lagoon all rolled into one.
Could not have said it any better  :)

4cbln3 said:
Very cool catch, Jim! From the pic it looks about 4' long and nice and fat! 
Good eye... we never lifted it out of the as we were releasing it, but it's over 3'. NO idea on the weight, but it fought hard and pulled line... it had some heft to it, that's for sure.

Pugman1943 said:
Nice photo Swissy. How has your lobster season been?
so-so...  had to shorten the shrimp season to get some halibut on the boat due to wife's surgery (which has ended my summer)

I'm thinking "Swissy's smoked frankenfish" - Yum!

Hope the wife is recovering well Jim - Doug

I've been thinking of ways to eat that eel. Soup using the head, fry the meat in butter, deep fried, sashimi........mmmmmm.