• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Frigador wood question

NewtoSticks

I have a minifridge I'm want to make into a himidor. Is it acceptable to use the Spanish cedar plywood. I have looked to the 20th page and have seen several but none have mentioned this. Just wanting some options. Thanks in advanced. I smoke my first cigar yesterday and can already see this is going to get big soon.

I doubt there is a problem with that (some humis on the market are spanish plywoods. Id be a bit less confident with this because of the glues qtt and probable smell the plywood has. But Ill let the chance to a more experienced member to point you toward the good direction.

That being said you winecooler is not equiped with the regular compressor right ? (as opposed to having a thermoelectric cooling system.)

I will be using stripped mini fridge. No cooling will be used. It will be in my closet which is a stable temp.

Spanish cedar can be expensive.  Search for Luan...it might be a good alternative for you as well.

Chris, drop a line to humidorminister and ask for some guidance. He builds custom humis that run $40K and he know his poop. Expense is relative to peace of mind.

Agree about the Luan . . . it's just as good, and I've used it to line two cabinet humidors. Very inexpensive. A dab or two of hot glue won't hurt the cigar smell, but if you use fasteners you may want to invest in something moisture resistant. 

I think I'm gonna order one of the kits online. Didn't know these were available at the time of the post. 3/8 inch solid cedar would cost me more than the kit

....sigh.  Here's my opinion.

What matters is the RH.  Same as coolers.  What you are doing by lining the container is taking up valuable humidified space.  It looks and smells pretty, but doesn't do squat when it comes to taking care of your cigars.  Before I bought my Staebell cabinet, I ran five coolers with RH beads.  Naked.  No wood lining.  Guess what....it worked fantastically.  Coolers are the best storage you can buy, bang for the buck.  So are mini fridges.

Score some boxes from your local B&M for your singles and call it good.  Unless you are into the whole aesthetics thing.  In which case, a call to Bob at Staebell will take care of that, in spades.

One crabby opinion - B.B.S.

What about just using Spanish cedar trays? If they fit and you are set on having cedar, it's a pretty cheap option. Personally, I just have spare boxes in my wineadoor, and soon will have one Spanish cedar drawer for singles that don't fit in boxes.

It will be in a public spot in house so I want to to look nice. I understand that the space will be lost from the wood but I'm totally new and I have found a vinotemp 34 bottle for $50. Seals great but won't be running the cooling because my air is on all the time in my house. Compared to something that sized commercially this is a steal. For my 10 cigar collection this will be a castle. Heading to Dallas in a week to hook up with pugman1943. Had a great 1 hour chat with him tonight. Great guy!

You'd be money ahead to just go to your local B&M and buy some empty cigar boxes for a dollar or three and put them in your Vinotemp.   It will still look nice since they are cigar boxes, but you will save yourself a ton of money.   Once you start to fill up your vinotemp then spend the money on cedar.

There is some great Fridge and Wine Cooler advice pinned in this section.

If you want a cigar castle contact golfnut and have some custom drawers and shelves made. He does quality work.

You can also use Sapele. Another less expensive alternative. I have always used Spanish Cedar or Honduran Mahogany myself though.