• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

From cigars to pipes

diapanos

Banned
I was just wondering if any one started out smoking cigars, tried a pipe and never went back to cigars?

I've been enjoying my pipes and pipe tobacco a lot more than cigars lately.

I like that I don't feel like I need a shower after smoking my pipe.

I started with cigars, got pulled into the world of pipes by this forum. I HAVE cigars, I just don't always have the time to really sit and enjoy/discover an hour-long smoke. I can smoke a pipe just about anywhere and to most it smells, if not good, then at least less offensive than cigars do to the non-smokers. I prefer cigars outdoors...you know how cigarette smokers smell? Yeah...indoor smokers. Same for cigars, IMO. I love 'em, but they certainly do stay with you if you smoke one inside...

-Trey

edit: Plus, for me, a good cigar is a social thing. I can sit and smoke a pipe alone...

Spad31 said:
I started with cigars, got pulled into the world of pipes by this forum. I HAVE cigars, I just don't always have the time to really sit and enjoy/discover an hour-long smoke. I can smoke a pipe just about anywhere and to most it smells, if not good, then at least less offensive than cigars do to the non-smokers. I prefer cigars outdoors...you know how cigarette smokers smell? Yeah...indoor smokers. Same for cigars, IMO. I love 'em, but they certainly do stay with you if you smoke one inside...

-Trey

edit: Plus, for me, a good cigar is a social thing. I can sit and smoke a pipe alone...

They stay in my clothes if I smoke outside.
The cigar I smoked today I could still smell in my t-shirt 3 hours later.

Yeah, if you smoke, period, your clothes are gonna smell like....smoke! Kinda like with campfires, charcoal grill,...

To answer your question, I started out smoking cigars, and smoke only cigars for a long time. Picked up the pipe, and got hooked on pipes, which had the benefit of letting my cigars age a long time while I maintained them in perfect conditions.

That leads me to believe I like smoking quality tobacco, period. Both have their place, and as Trey points out, I find a pipe is more of a solitary thing... Although to each their own....

To be honest, if I smoke outside and watch the wind, after I brush my teeth and use mouthrinse, it's pretty much gone....

I have switched exclusively from one to the other over the years. Currently smoking more cigars than pipes.

I know what you are saying, I find myself choosing my pipe over the cigars I have currently. But I can't see me replacing them completely. Hell the only thing I have committed to fully is my wife. Everything else has an "if" clause

Cigars for four years, and now almost exclusively pipes since last June. Really enjoy the different tobaccos and like that the smell doesn't linger. My wife will sit out with me while I have a pipe (right now, actually), which is a plus. I like the whole ritual of packing and smoking a pipe, plus you can keep a pipe for decades if cared for properly. Anyhow, enough rambling, back to my pipe ;)

Started out with a pipe, then got into cigars. I seem to go back and forth smoking one more than the other. Lately, I've been smoking pipes more often for the same reasons others have stated. They don't linger nearly as much as a cigar and the smell doesn't seem to stick quite as much as cigars. Also, like investandprosper said, the variety of different tobaccos to try will keep you busy for awhile :)

I started with cigars, then picked up the pipe. I still smoke cigars, but only a fraction of what I used to. I'll go months without a cigar.

I started smoking cigars in high school, picked up a tobacco pipe (as opposed to other pipes that were certainly available) in college.  Maybe its just me but I think they are very different experiences. I probably smoke 50/50 between the two now but headed into summer the cigars will take the lead. I tend to go with cigars if there is any kind of libation in hand, I tend to go pipe if there is not. Cigars are definitely a more social go-to for me unless I am hanging out with a local pipe club. So, I guess that means if I am sitting around on a week night doing some work it's going to be a pipe, for all other circumstances it's going to be 90% to cigars.  I don't think that I will ever phase out one or the other.

I smoke cigars and just ordered my first pipe last night! So we'll see what happens ;)

I started out with cigars, tried pipes but never really took the time to learn how to properly pack/smoke a pipe, so I went back to cigars.  Lately, I've been smoking pipes far more than cigars.  The nice thing about pipes is that I can pack the bowl depending upon how long I want to smoke.  I also don't smell like smoke afterwards.  I still smoke cigars, just haven't found much time for them as of late.  If I'm going to smoke a cigar, I have to smoke the entire thing and not let any of it go to waste, which has made pipes the ideal smoke. :)

diapanos said:
I was just wondering if any one started out smoking cigars, tried a pipe and never went back to cigars?

I've been enjoying my pipes and pipe tobacco a lot more than cigars lately.

I like that I don't feel like I need a shower after smoking my pipe.

diapanos said:

-Trey

They stay in my clothes if I smoke outside.
The cigar I smoked today I could still smell in my t-shirt 3 hours later.